HELP!! Window Regulator broke and I can't get the window up. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe
Default HELP!! Window Regulator broke and I can't get the window up.

Driving down the road, open window, went to go on the highway,
and when I went to raise the window there was a loud CRACK, and
it stopped at about a foot up.

Now the car is sitting in my driveway,
I have the door panel off, and the inner door panel refuses to
come off because the window is all the way down and I cannot
get it to go back up.

Any suggestions on how to get the panel off? How do I get the window
to go up? I tried grabbing the glass itself and managed to get it
about 6 inches out, but no further. I even tried plugging in the
driver. It turns, but nothing happens raise-the-window-wise
Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we would have people standing in the corners of our rooms. If parents would spend less time worrying about what their kids watch on TV and more time worrying about what's going on in their kids' lives, this world would be a much better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

Sorry Bob. I ended up using a garbage bag over the top of the door till I could get it under carport/cover.

I think I tried the inner door thing once too, but didn't get far (either). Not sure HOW you could get there to say, stick a 2x4 under the window....
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Well, thankfully it's not raining right now.

As far as propping it up, I can'tt get the window to go up more than a few inches at best. The inner door panel will NOT come out of the opening because the window is too far down.

Does anybody know what happens if I drill out the rivets that hold the track? Can they be bolted back in place? I need to get this fixed before it rains

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Bender

Car: Silver Arrow NeŘ Beetle Tdi

My switch broke. I could raise the window with my finger. There is a small switch way in there.
(x) 93 BMW 318i
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Send Money

... ok, maybe THIS time my stoopid browser won;t crash....

It is not an electrial problem. Here is a phot of said rivets.
#4 as labelled broke through the inner door panel but is still attached to the track
Attached Images/Files

Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Administrator

I'd go for it Bob. Use as small a bit as possible (work it up if necessary). You could replace those w/other rivets or bolts.

I don't have directions, but it looks plausible to me.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Send Money

Well, I got the window up. It's now taped to the frame

I did exactly that.. little bit at a time. It gave me enough give to get behind the panel to loosen the clamps that hold the window to the track. It looks like the plastic that runs along the left track (the driver's door) broke. Also, the cable got 1 loop off the piece that gathers the cable that the motor turns (I have no idea what to call that). I gotta stop and reassemble part of my door now.. got errands to run and one car.

Any idea on which part(s) I now need? And what's involved in.. restringing(?) the cables?

THanks again!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: Ex 1999 Beetle GLS Owner/2005 Honda Pilot/2008 Acura TSX

This same thing happened to my wife. When I took it in to my friend's auto glass shop, they could only get the window up to within a half inch of the top, then sealed it with tape till the regulator came in (it was backordered about 10 days from VW). Whatever they had to do to fix it, didn't take long, as I dropped off the car at 8:30am and got a call at 10:30am that it was finished. This doesn't specifically answer your question, but it indicates there isn't a great deal to do, timewise, if you know what you are doing.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator

I got no idea bob, but I'd like to make a how-to on it.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Send Money

Well, the job is finished except for adjustments. As it turned out, you cannot buy the regulator as a separate piece. It comes attached to the inner door panel. The thing that took me the most time was drilling out the rivets that hold the speaker in place (had to take it off to put it in the new panel) and the second longest task was tracking down a small piece of self-adhesive velcro so I had a place to stick my Alientech window controller. I had to cut off all the attachement points for the wiring harness and put something else in their places. Ended up using some self-stick anchor points for zip-ties.

Once I figure out exactly how to adjust the window inside the panel so it doesn't bind on the way closed, I'll be finished.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

So the track rivet is shot? Yikes. Would a small bolt and washers fit?

They do have a regulator repair kit at the dealer for about $60 (has a new cable assembly and winder, and four clips). Not sure about what else to do on the track rivet issue, sorry.

Wait, do you have power or manual windows?

-Des

Old 10-27-2007, 02:38 PM

Car: 2000 GLX

I spent a lot of time doing this on the passenger side window of mine a while back. Got the kit from the dealer and it came with most of the stuff needed. I lubricated the track surfaces where the windows glides into so it didn't put so much strain on the regulator.

My initial problem was not the motor assembly, but the winding wheel that the cable ends fit into to hold it - it's the part that rotates (counter)clockwise to move the window up or down.

With help from my father-in-law we tried to plastic weld the bits back together the first time - don't go there. Get the kit from the dealer with all new parts and use that if you need it. We did have to drill out rivets as well, and simply replaced them with slightly larger rivets in the end, if I remember rightly.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Diesel Freak

Car: '98 TDI

Freaking amazing...this exact thing happened to me last night. Had to drive to work this morning in 36 degree temps(100 mile commute mind you)
Now I have to take the panel off and see what I have in store for me as well...Anybody got a part # on that kit?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM

This happened to me also. To get the window up, remove inner panel, and pull up on the black trim piece that goes up against the window to keep stuff from falling down into the door and it should come off. Remove motor from the inside of the door. Use a coat hanger to pull up whatever cables you can get to and cut them. Keep pulling up and cutting cables until the window is free. This will allow you to pull the window up the tracks manually and tape it to the frame until the parts come in. Don't be shy with the tape, too little will allow the window to drop and break if you hit a bump too hard. You can also pull it up until the brackets on the bottom of the window line up with the holes (behind the rubber circles on the inner door) and you can unscrew and remove the window. VWvortex has an excellent tutorial on how to repair complete with pics. Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Turbo S: Who needs mods??

USA
Car: 2002 Platinum Gray Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsexyTDI
Freaking amazing...this exact thing happened to me last night. Had to drive to work this morning in 36 degree temps(100 mile commute mind you)
Now I have to take the panel off and see what I have in store for me as well...Anybody got a part # on that kit?
Left side: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...le_181122.html

Right side: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...le_179214.html

Even cheaper from http://www.1stvwparts.com
plug these part numbers in search:
Right side 1CM898656A
Left side 1CM898655A

Sorry Bob I didn't see this thread earlier...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:04 AM

Car: Black Beetle TDI GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdub
VWvortex has an excellent tutorial on how to repair complete with pics. Hope this helps.
for beetle? I cant seem to find the link

anyone have any udated links for installation?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 AM
98 / 2.0/ metalic blue

Car: 1998/ 2.0L

read nb manuel
Old 01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L

Car: white '99 2.0 GLS stick
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by track3000
for beetle? I cant seem to find the link

anyone have any udated links for installation?

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107
"Reality is just that surreal time between my dreams" - me
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Still iPod obsessed

Car: 2001 2.0 GLS, auto
Default Help! door panel half off - lock clip?????

The problem is, the vortex thread is great EXCEPT it' s for a Jetta, not a NB. Some of our parts are different. Also, I removed the inner plastic trim okay, I can't seem to get the inner door panel off so I can replace regulator motor - the door lock cables clip into the door lock assembly and I can't seem to find the clip mechanism to let the wires come out??? ANy ideas????
Old 01-21-2008, 12:17 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 Bella '06 Blue TDI Bug '13 white TDI

on my '98 the wire had a round plastic thing that fit into the side of the door lock assembly, you slide that out of the door lock assembly and then there was a little hook that caught inside the assembly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.