Air conditioning wont work, fans dead my Bug is SICK - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 04:43 AM
Beetle Cup racer

Car: New Beetle turbo Sport 2002
Thumbs down Air conditioning wont work, fans dead my Bug is SICK

Today I had the darnest of weird symptoms on my bug, to recap:

1) driving noemally intraffic with Ac on.
2) The cars makes a weird humming sound at 50 to 70 hz real loud and the whol ecar buzzes ( I thought that someone in another car next to me had a huge subwoofer), but no It was my bug!!!
3) Weird shaking from the engine bay !!!

I stop, and turn on again the car and everything normal but NO COLD air conditioning !!!!

Then I enter the On ramp and drive home and notice my non working AC and NON working FANS!!!!

PANICCCC !!!!

I move the Ac control to OFF, put the dial in full heat and turn on the blower at MAX.
Drive like an old geezer home to avoid overheating he car and the temps were around 207 to 212 F !!!

So I Drive home and let the car Idle for 2 minutes and I dont hear the fans !!! I turn it OFF THEN like 2 minutes later the fans come on s THEY WORK

I let the car cool down I put the vag com.

And I test the cluster in the overheta mode to engage the fans and NO FANS COME ON!!!!.

I tun on the car and when I turn on the AC the See the Ac clutch engage for a sec and then disengage, then again and again!! also when this hapens both fans turn like a quuarter turn and stop, turn and stop...

I have Chequed the 4 fuses, no vag fault codes of any kind, the secondary water pump works when i turn off the car...what the heck is going on???

Is my AC compresor gon ethe way of the dodo?

any help would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 04:48 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

I had a similar problem with my fans. I had the same buzzing and shaking of the car...my car actually made more of a howling noise when I had my problem. Mines slightly different. Only my drivers side fan is dead, which is primary. When its just warm outside, the secondary fan is running and cool air comes out fine. When its hot though, it tries to kick on that second fan so it makes the car vibrate and all. I havent had my other fan die though :knock on wood:

Good luck with that. I hope its not something too difficult
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 11-29-2005, 07:34 AM
180 Degrees out of faze

Car: 98 TDI NB.

It sounds like it could be one of many problems.
When was the last time you had the A/C serviced? That would consist of removal of the fluid, replacement of the dryer, and refill of fluid and compressor lube.
If your A/C is low on fluid the pressure switch will not work properly. This controls both the compressor and the fans. Only way to tell if you have the correct amount of Freon is to hook up the A/C service machine. It has both the high and low side pressure gages.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Beetle Cup racer

Today I picked up the Bug at the stealership and they charged me a good 350 USd for the repairs.

Like 140 for diagnosing ( not that high since I already vag commed the Bug to oblivion trying to find the problem.)

They chequed the herness, shorts and came to the conclusion that my Fans controler had gone the way of the dodo (USD137 ) thank you !!!

So Now the bug is cooling again, doesnt heat up and working fine, ready for its kit..

Hope this info helps anyone later

BTW the module is in front of the left front wheel.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Some say............

Car: 1999 GLS Custom, 2010 Final Edition

I had the same problem with Elwood back in July. His A/C was making weird noises, and I took him to have it checked out, and it ended up being the A/C compressor. Now at the dealership I used to work at, the repairs would have been around $1100 USD. Which I didn't have at the time, I was doing some traveling that week and nursed Elwood's A/C the whole trip. I finally got sick of it as it was a fairly hot weekend and pulled into a dealer in northern NJ. And had the A/C fixed. Total price, $402 USD. Needless to say when I got back to work the next week and told both the Service Manager and the Parts Manager. There were ALOT of questions and red faces.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 AM

hey, i was reading your thread and my bug heater doesnt work, its like the fan died or something, can any of you give me an idea at all, im clueless, and it seems everyone of the mechanics i take it to are clueless, any ideas guys/girls, thanks if you do!!!

i turn the middle FAN SPEED nob to #4 and nothing happens, no air not even any noise, does anyone have any ideas what it could be, i have checked the FUSE 2.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Beetle Cup racer

I reckon that the 3 first speeds do work? and only the 4 doesnt work?

I Read some time ago that sometimes the switch in the center dies and , it doesnt start the motor or the AC cluster.

Let me take a check in my Bentley and try to look for th einfo and Ill let you know, in the mean time tell us if its only position 4.

best regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.