Water inside Headlamp - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM

TX,
Car: 2009 Sunflower Yellow
Default Water inside Headlamp

My husband noticed there was water inside my headlamp yesterday after washing my car. We had the car in the shop two weeks ago for work on the same headlamp and we assume they didn't put it back in right.

Today I take it back in to have it fixed and they said there was something else wrong with it and were going to charge us another $300 to fix.

Is this something I can do myself? What would need to be replaced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

I'm not much help here on this, but I do know that a brand new headlamp assembly can be purchased for much less than $300
Old 01-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Car: 2003 NBC GLS 2.0 Tiptronic

First off, something smells fishy to me! Define "something else" that is worth $300. I'd talk to the shop manager about it...

Secondy, new headlight housings can be found on the internet and ebay for 150-200 dollars, and it is something that you could replace in your driveway!

Let us know how this one turns out!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

Unless you're over 4 years/50,000 miles already, it should be a warranty item. The lens on the NBC has been changed multiple times on each headlight. Last time they changed out the entire headlight assembly (all warranty).

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM

TX,
Car: 2009 Sunflower Yellow

Thanks for the replies!

Two weeks ago I had my car in the shop for a burnt-out headlight. I was sure something else was wrong because the whole fixture had been replaced two months ago after hitting a deer. They told me a wiring harness to the headlamp and a serpentine belt needed to be replaced. They did all of this, I gave them $270 and all was good.

Then we saw the water in the headlamp. Today the service guy said some seal was broken or defective which allowed water to seep into the assembly.

My car has 51,000 miles on it. Funny how all this starts going wrong after the warranty expires. I love my beetle but we're considering buying another car now. The VW service department here in San Antonio is shady to say the best.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:43 AM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

Could be the lens seal. Mine seal was 'cracked' and split so water and stuff got inside. For me at the time it wasn't a major issue. I recently had my hood replaced and the shop that did it broke my headlight lens. Pulled the lens right off the housing unit. So, it is easy to do if the seal is weak. ??
Old 01-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: Blk2k2.0Rodney/SA98TDI Monty

Look up Dieseltoyz in your area. Avoid the dealer in San Antonio like the plague!

The dealer is the reason I got my TDI for $2700 Dieseltoyz did work on my Beetle before I got her home, and noted a lot of stuff that had been broken or hacked by the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.