Engine misfire - P0301, P0304 and P0134 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Engine misfire - P0301, P0304 and P0134

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, and I'm actually posting on behalf of a friend.

Anyhow, my friend's Beetle started running rough recently and the check engine light would come on and off. Since it had been a while since the spark plugs were changed, we replaced the plugs and the wires, which made it a bit better, but then it came right back. The check engine light is on, giving the codes in the subject line (cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire and insufficient activity from O2 sensor 1 (before converter)).

The car is idling rough, and it seems to be running a bit rich (at least the exhaust fumes smell rich.) There is visible smoke if you rev it up.

One thing that concerned me - and I'm not sure what might happen if that was the case - it seems that the lube shop might have put in too much oil. When I pull out the dip stick, it appears to be at the highest level in the normal range, which leads me to think it might have been too full. I see warnings all over the engine compartment about overfilling. What actually happens if you put in too much oil?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Note: the O2 sensor was replaced in 2005 under the recall. Also, the spark plugs are brand new, as are the wires. The mass air flow sensor was replaced in the last few years (not brand new, but not old).

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
-Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's a 1999 2.0L engine.

What's the chance it's the ignition coil?

-Michael
Old 02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

I think if there is too much oil ... the catalytic converter can break? I think that is what happens.

I hope thing get fixed up. Sister is having similar issues ...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Car: Herbie '05 Yellow 2.0 GL Bella '06 Blue TDI GLS

Is it worse after running through a water puddle? Is it worse on days with high humidity? If yes, then change the coil pack. If you already replaced both the plugs and the wires I would change the coil, they are known for cracking. Just before I sold my '98 my brother decided to clean the engine, so it shined. Good idea, except mine had a broken coil, didn't know that for sure until a bit of reading on here after I sold it. Anyway, the car spit, sputtered and in general carried on, it refused to run. My brother had to dry out the coil and the engine in general before it would stay running smoothly.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

If coil pack refers to the ignition coil (link to picture of ignition coil: http://www.autozone.com/images/products/wl2/wl2c1319003.jpg), then we already tried swapping that out. No luck:-(. Are there other parts of the ignition system that tend to fail? Or might this be something other than the ignition system?

Thanks,
-Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.