Glovebox Lid - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 07:11 PM

Default Glovebox Lid

Hi, does anyone know what the part number is for the 99 NB glovebox lid is? In gray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Proud TOD Maiden Voyager

Car: '13 Jetta SportWagen TDI, '03 Corvette

It doesn't show the part number (at least that I could find) - but the link has a glovebox door.

http://www.parts.com/vw/1999-vw-beetle-instrument-panel-glove-box-door-gray.cfm
Old 03-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaRock View Post
Hi, does anyone know what the part number is for the 99 NB glovebox lid is? In gray?
glovebox lid 1C1 880 882 B 7DE

Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Mahalo!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Default Glove Lid Cover

Just went to VW....they have them in stock...wonder why??
$149. Anyone know how to remove and replace? Parts guy said you replace lock cylinder with old one....any ideas on how to do that.....thanks,
Old 06-14-2009, 04:35 AM
enjoyin the view !

Car: 1999 gls 2.0 5 speed , red with subtle flames

let me know when you find out , i just swapped my gray for a black one ,, if you havnt bought one yet ,, i have one for sale
http://www.return2roswell.org/
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Default Glove Box

bugman...never did buy it...how much do you want? i iive in nj...let me know...thanks,
Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Default Glove Lid

Bugman....still interested in selling? let me know....Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jredlund View Post
Just went to VW....they have them in stock...wonder why??
$149. Anyone know how to remove and replace? Parts guy said you replace lock cylinder with old one....any ideas on how to do that.....thanks,
Just found the instructions in my Bentley manual and scanned it...as I recently acquired a black glovebox and I need to do this myself. I will have a gray one for sale as well. PM me if you're interested.

Here it is:
5 speed swap w/SBC Stg 3 clutch and Dieselgeek short shifter, RC3, PP520's, Eurojet SMIC, 3 bar map, Dieselgeek skidplate, 2" lift w/VR6 springs, 2.5" turbo-back straight pipe "weedburner" side exhaust, air horn, ABD Cup front bumper, HID retrofit, LED tails, Bernt Pod w/McNally gauges. WISH LIST: VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, RC5 and other silly stuff.

Last edited by DZLBUG; 06-18-2009 at 04:52 AM..
Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 AM
I Am Breitbart

Car: 2000 New Beetle GLS TDI Silver Arrow

Good luck finding a pair of pliers that will fit in there...it is tight. I ended up using a small pry bar and I pried the old lock out of my new glovebox with no issues. Pulling the lock out of my existing glovebox did not go so well. I ended up snapping the handle off because I wasn't counter-holding it enough...which is why they show using a pair of pliers. I know there are pliers available that will do the job...I just didn't have them and I was impatient tonight.

So now I need to find a new handle before I sell my old glovebox to anybody. There is a part number on it, I will have to see if I can order it and fix it up.

So...if you're swapping your lock...BE CAREFUL!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Car: 1999 1.8 Turbo - formerly Mark Martin's car
Default Please help !!!!

Can anyone tell me the secret of taking out the glovebox on my 1999 new beetle? I have removed all the screws I can see.. but I don't want to break it.. It seems to ba attached somehow on the right side.

Thanks...

Wray...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

Did you take the dash end cap off? Screws behind the lid (I presume you did)?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School

Car: 2013 Kia Rio-5

I also need a glove box lid. This is very informative. Anyone still have one laying around?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM

Car: VW, Audi, BMW

We have the gray version available here on the website, just let me know if you need a different color and I can get a link / pricing:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > 1C1 880 882 B 7DE > ES#300805 LID - 1C1880882B7DE

Old 06-06-2010, 01:57 AM

TX,
Car: 98 DTI
Default Glove Box

For some reason the glove box doesnt shut, they had glued magnets to keep it shut.....Please direct me in the area i need to be in.
98 DTI 5 speed
Thank You
Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLBUG View Post
Good luck finding a pair of pliers that will fit in there...it is tight. I ended up using a small pry bar and I pried the old lock out of my new glovebox with no issues. Pulling the lock out of my existing glovebox did not go so well. I ended up snapping the handle off because I wasn't counter-holding it enough...which is why they show using a pair of pliers. I know there are pliers available that will do the job...I just didn't have them and I was impatient tonight.

So now I need to find a new handle before I sell my old glovebox to anybody. There is a part number on it, I will have to see if I can order it and fix it up.

So...if you're swapping your lock...BE CAREFUL!
Patience is SUCH a virtue!
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Car: 2003 Turbo S
Default Glove Box Door Replacement story

NOTE: YOU ARE BETTER OFF LEAVING THE OLD LOCK IN A SALVAGE GLOVEBOX DOOR. - the latch hinges are too fragile to try and pry the old lock out of [see post above where the guy tore his up trying].

The latch is so cheap it won't keep out a thief anyway, why lock it and make them tear it up? -they'll just rip off the latch and the door will fall open.

Salvage price should be @ 50% of Dealer cost, I found one about 45 minutes away at a Salvage Yard [3rd call - $50 ] but they are rare and Murphy's Law makes sure you'll find every color plastic but yours.

Now that new glovebox doors are sold by VW Dealers w/o having to buy the whole glove box, and door replacement once you get the glove box out of the dash is a breeze, save your old lock for that purchase [when you replace it next time]. Since the dealer one will be sold "naked"-the lock just presses into the empty hole, just make sure of key slot position: 12 o'clock "open"/3 o'clock "locked" before pressing it into place. I just put the original lock cylinder in a baggie corner with a loop of electrical tape to keep it clean and together [the lock 'leaves' for different key settings are tiny & thin as paper and are loose & will slide out the side like bread slices in a toaster, so watch that mess] and keep it in the glovebox for that day

Last edited by Cliffnotes; 08-16-2011 at 11:05 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Member Sponsor

Individual door has been available for at least a year, about when I first priced from a Dealer, but the $$$ have gone up considerably. I see them, used, on eBay in the $130 price range, what they were selling for new a year ago. $185+ new, from the Dealer.

M.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Member Sponsor

Here's the Bentley R&R for:
Glove Box, Lower Switch Console (heated seats), Right Side Trim Panel, Glove Box Lock Cylinder, Door Post Strap, Inside Rear View Mirror, Instrument Panel Grab Handle, Roof Handle, Sun Visor

Needed a place to post the .pdf so I could have a link for the .pdf

M.
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf Bentley; Trim-Interior; Pgs 70-7 thru 70-10.pdf (827.5 KB, 816 views)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 AM

Default Glove Box Latch Repair

I bought my daughter a 2000 Turbo Beetle and it has had a lot of problems with plastic parts; switches breaking, interior finishes coming off or bubbling. I think the Mexican plastic must be 25% dirt! I found two issues that were strictly due to broken/brittle plastic:

Truck latch would not release trunk all the way unless handle was pulled simultaneous to hitting remote or inside release.
-problem ended up being a plastic anchor that holds a plastic plate that pushes up on the latch with spring pressure
--solution was to screw the plate to a metal support below it and abandon the plastic anchor mount that fit around the plate.

Glove box latch (handle) broke off.
-problem was that one of the two plastic sockets that the hinge pins holding the handle on broke off. Other one was about to break off.
--solution was to cut both these flimsy plastic pieces off and fabricate oak pcs that were aprox 10 times as thick. I super-glued these to the back of the latch handle and also reinforced with one screw each thru handle (looks better than it sounds). drilled holes in new pin sockets. Unfortunately, outer and inner glove box door panels have to be separated in order to slide pins back into the repaired handle, but due to the way they were glued, they break apart and reattach (glue) fairly easily.
---end result is a repair costing about $200 less than replacing the glove box door, no re-keying required and this latch won't break off again, ever, because the crappy, flimsy little plastic parts aren't there anymore!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.