Passenger side window is stuck halfway open - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 PM

Default Passenger side window is stuck halfway open

I have a 2000 NB, and I just rolled down my passenger side window and it stopped moving although I heard the mechanism continue to move inside. I had to manually pull the glass up but it seems the regulator is still getting power and is operating, its just not taking the window with it. What could be the problem? I dont have a whole lot of usage on that window regulator so its hard to imagine its broken because of wear and tear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 11:54 PM
<-----No More Beetle :(

Car: 2011 Kia Soul in Shadow (Black)

the same thing just happened to me but my window is all the way down and I cant get to it. I'm trying to search for answers

♥It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who you have beside you ♥
"Put your troubles away until tomorrow. If you're lucky someone'll break into your house tonight and steal 'em" ~ Dean Martin

Skittle & Me
Old 04-29-2009, 12:39 AM

Car: 98 Beetle TDI

common problem with the regulator breaking (not just beetles - jettas and golfs too). I believe VW extended the warranty on this for something like 7 years, but don't quote me on it.

You can get a complete regulator assy or a 'repair kit', but hit the dealer up to see if they'll cover it.
2 powerstrokes, Thing, Fox, Dune Buggy......
Old 04-29-2009, 03:12 AM

Mine is a 2002...I really hope mine is still covered!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:28 AM

mine broke half way down, so I can lift it with my fingers to close it up for the night. Im assuming its still in the track and is not like my old vw where the glass would fall out of the track and fall to the bottom of the door. 7 years? I'm pretty sure this one is on me then, got the door panel off, now wondering what to look for next? pull the inner door panel?
Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Car: 98 Beetle TDI

The first visible sign I had on mine was when I pulled the window motor off - I could see the broken cable poking though the opening.

Once you pull the panel off you should see what you need. There are a couple of different parts that break, but each should be included in the 'kit'.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Car: 2002 beetle 2.0 gls

Mine just broke last week but i called the dealership and it was covered under an extended wattenty from vw cost me zero - sounds to me like it should have been a recall a long time ago
Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM

now that I think about it, I heard a crack while driving down the street yesterday. I thought it was a pebble hitting the door or runningboard but there was no sign of that. It must have been the cable snapping. Its really sad because my car has had almost no use of that window in the last 9 years except for the weekly startup and testing of all electrical switches to make sure everything works. It had been stored for a while and only has about 9k original miles on it and its a 2000. Volkswagen needs to step up their design because clearly this is a faulty part and should not be an issue for so many relatively new cars at this point. Even my Ford pickup's regulator lasted 16 years.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM

I took mine to the dealership this morning and they said that if it is the regulator then it will be covered by the warranty. He didnt say anything about a time frame for it being covered but I sure as hell hope it is covered. Theyre charging me $108.00 /hour diagnostic time for each door. Theyre checking the pass side too and if it is covered they will replace the pass side too. Free of charge. And I wont have to pay anything. They also said there was an update to the recall on the brake light switch and they'll be replacing that again. I think I had that done about 2 or 3 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.