How To: Door panel, window regulator and door latch removal - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Car: 98 Beetle TDI
Default How To: Door panel, window regulator and door latch removal

I found the Bentley manual a little vague the first time I followed it pulling a door apart. Now that I've done it a half dozen times, I figured I take some pics for others to follow.

First, pop off the cover over the inside grab handle. There are 2 #3 philips screws behind. Along the bottom of the door panel there are 3 torx screws.

Pull outwards at the bottom of the panel to pop out the handful of clips. Lift up on the panel to separate it from the door and unclip all the electrical connections.

Next, remove the window scraper

Pop the door switch off the panel and plug it back into the door harness so you can move the window screws to the cut-out locations (remove the two large rubber plugs)

Loosen, but do not remove the two screws clamping the window in place. Next, lower the window down about 3/4 of the way while guiding it with one hand. The window will pull up out of the retainers. Rotate it and remove it out of the door

Remove the small rubber plug in the door jam and loosen the small screw. I think it's a triple square, but I don't have one that small. A similar sized torx bit worked fine

Pull open the door handle with one hand and wiggle the door lock out with the other

Remove the two triple square screws holding the door latch in place

Disconnect the door handle from the door latch by popping off the small connection shown here (before and after pics)

Pop out all the wiring harness 'christmas trees'. Remove all the torx screws attaching the inside panel to the door. You'll need to pry it away from the sealing gasket once the screws are removed

Unclip the electrical connector inside the door on the door latch assembly and verify no other wires or clips are in place then remove the whole inner panel by lifting up, tilt the bottom out, down some, over to the right to clear the door latch. It takes some jiggling, but it will come out in one piece.

Installation is roughly the reverse.

Set the whole assy close to the door.
Plug in the connector to the latch.
Install the inner panel assy into the door.
Start the two latch screws in the door jam.
Get a couple screws started holding the panel to the door.
If everything lines up, install all the inner panel screws and tighten the latch screws.
You'll need to fish the little piece the hooks to the outer door handle through the lock hole and then it's pops right in place.
Reroute all the electrical connections that go to the inner panel.
Set the window inside the door and lower it into the track, down to the window 'clips'. Using the window switch, slowly attempt to raise the window. If it's installed correctly, move it up so the screws are visible in the cutouts and then snug them down. Test the window movement all the way up and down. Install the two large rubber plugs
Now is also a good time to make sure the outside door handle works. Open and close the door. You can also open the door by pulling the inside cable.
Roll the window down and install the window scraper.
Hold the inside panel up and hook up all the electrical connections and the inside door handle.
Position the inside door lock through the hole in the panel and start installing it by setting it over the window scraper and then snapping it in place. Install the 5 screws that were removed and the grab handle trim panel.
Push the key lock in place while holding the handle in the open position then tighten the retaining screw. Install the small rubber plug.
Test to make sure all the door switches work.
2 powerstrokes, Thing, Fox, Dune Buggy......

Last edited by gforce1108; 06-03-2009 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Good write up. I could use this when I do my door speakers. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I BELIEVE!

Car: 2002 DIYCGCC TDI

Thanks for the write up!

Gonna sticky it for a while then move it to how tos.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Nice write up!
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 AM

Car: 99 Silver 2.0 GLS

Thanks for the how to.
I did all this once but it's great to have all the procedure handy.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 AM

Car: 2001 GL
Question

Great diy, Is there a trick to getting the eletrical clip(plug) off of the door latch with out removing it from the door? I am dooing this as we speak and it is pi@@ing me off! Any help would be AWESOME!
Old 05-23-2009, 02:47 AM

Car: 2001 GL

Never mind, I just got it. Sometimes this car makes me mad because it thinks it is better than me! All I had to do was push the clip toward the inner door and pull down, Simple! Anyways goodbye door glass and inner plate and hello Lexan. Just an FYI the glass and inner door panel w/ speaker weigh in at 17lbs together per door. Lexan, 3lbs per door.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Toowoomba, South-East Queensland, Australia
Car: 2005 1.6l automatic sunflower

Excellent write up - it's so easy to stuff the trim up when removing the panels and the write-up covers everything. Good Luck mate.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 PM
crank it up, suckers!

Car: 1999 Silver Aero GL

Thank you! I need to do my driver's side door latch, and I feel a bit less intimidated now. About how long does the process take you now that you're a pro?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:20 AM

I can pull it all apart and have it back together in well less than an hour. After the third or fourth time, it's easy!

On both of the doors I had apart, I made a slight modification. The latch assembly is attached to the door with 2 plastic pins. They are pretty weak and once they are taken apart a couple of times, they won't stay in place. I replaced them with some short bolts to keep them from popping out during reinstallation.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:13 AM

Default RE: Installing new window regulator in New Beetle

Just so people have some additional info, if you have been struck with the broken window regulator issue on your beetle, check out this thread:

Installing new window regulator in New Beetle

There is some really good info, along with some info I posted on where to buy regulator, how to make your own special pully tool out of a piece of wood, etc

This thread overall helped me out a ton! Thanks!

Scott
Old 06-14-2009, 02:08 AM

That's a good idea to combine the common problems that require disassembling the door.

Here's info on repairing the door lock module:
Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!! - TDIClub Forums

I was able to repair one without replacing the switches... I just resoldiered the main points on the pcb and it worked great.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:37 PM
crank it up, suckers!

Car: 1999 Silver Aero GL

Well, it took me quite a bit longer than an hour (especially since I didn't have the proper triple square size!) but I got my door switch replaced. What a mess! But thank you so much for helping provide me the faith in myself to get it done!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Car: 1999 new beetle. 2 liter

wow...what are the odds that the very thing i log onto and create a thread about...is the exact first thread i see.

anyways.

my freind borrowed my car...and unfornutetly it came back with a broken passenger window motor.

the window motor seems to work...but makes an awful grinding sound. i have tint on the windows so i was afraid this was messing up the window tint. i was able to grab the window by hand and actually pull up the window. at first it seemed to stay shut...but recently i reinstalled a system and the vibration has caused the window to vibrate down....the other day i wasnt paying attention and it rattle all the way down into the door...

being an old car audio installer i had not fear of pulling off the door panel. when i did so i found a thin silver cable hanging inside the door....i am assuming the window motor basically works as a pulley system. anyways...the weather was looking poor so i grabbed a bit of 1x1 wood and cut it out to be small....put it in the door thru the two acess holes and drill a screw into them with the window sitting on them...at least the window stays shut now...

my question is....what is bad....does the entire regulator need replacing even thou the motor still works with the switch...or can the cable be put back? i have no clue where to go with this...

i have already checked links for replacing the regulator...i guess im hoping someone will say i dont need to replace it...especially since i cant find one for less than almost 500 bucks....

suggestions please....im at your mercy
Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_fabanich View Post
wow...what are the odds that the very thing i log onto and create a thread about...is the exact first thread i see.

anyways.

my freind borrowed my car...and unfornutetly it came back with a broken passenger window motor.

the window motor seems to work...but makes an awful grinding sound. i have tint on the windows so i was afraid this was messing up the window tint. i was able to grab the window by hand and actually pull up the window. at first it seemed to stay shut...but recently i reinstalled a system and the vibration has caused the window to vibrate down....the other day i wasnt paying attention and it rattle all the way down into the door...

being an old car audio installer i had not fear of pulling off the door panel. when i did so i found a thin silver cable hanging inside the door....i am assuming the window motor basically works as a pulley system. anyways...the weather was looking poor so i grabbed a bit of 1x1 wood and cut it out to be small....put it in the door thru the two acess holes and drill a screw into them with the window sitting on them...at least the window stays shut now...

my question is....what is bad....does the entire regulator need replacing even thou the motor still works with the switch...or can the cable be put back? i have no clue where to go with this...

i have already checked links for replacing the regulator...i guess im hoping someone will say i dont need to replace it...especially since i cant find one for less than almost 500 bucks....

suggestions please....im at your mercy
That's exactly the problem I had on my 98 when I bought it. I pulled the motor and the broken cable was all jammed up behind it. I ordered the regulator repair kit from worldimpex.com. They also have the whole assembly. Either one should do what you need.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM

so is this what im looking for...sorry...just wanna be sure.

Genuine VW / Audi WINDOW REGULATOR KIT RIGHT FRONT BEETLE (1CM-898-656-A / 1CM898656A)

or

Genuine VW / Audi Window Regulator (1C0-837-656-C / 1C0837656C)

im not sure really what the difference is due to the lack of pictures...

thanks again for any suggestions.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Those are correct (verify your year, etc. of course). I haven't seen how the whole assembly comes, but I think it comes with the inside panel with the regulator already setup in place. If no one here has more info, give worldimpex a call - I'm sure they can help you.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM

so the one is a whole new interior panel and the other is just the parts like the motor and such that would need replacing?

which did you do?

id obviously rather go the cheaper route unless its worth the 120 dollars more for the whole panel....

thanks for all your help
Old 06-24-2009, 11:06 PM

I did just the kit. I'm cheap and don't mind spending some time to save money. It wasn't too bad doing the kit - the mistake I made was removing the regulator from the panel because that's what I had to do on previous VWs. It's riveted in place - no need to take it off. It should make sense to you once it's apart.

Not sure what the others around here have done - the repair kit or whole assy.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM

thanks very much for your help...i cant tell you how excited i am to hopefully soon have my window working agian....if you have any other advice id appreciate it....im just gonna do the kit....ive always liked getting into things...and i did audio and security installs for a living so hopefully its something i can handle...anyways...if you have a step by step instruction for that kit install id greatly appreciate it...thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.