A/c & blower just quite working please help - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 11:16 PM

Default A/c & blower just quite working please help

I have a 1999 1.8 turbo beetle. The car is awsome! i went to go turn the a/c on and there was nothing there. blower does not come on either. I have checked all the fuses in the side [panel fuse box and are all good. Check the fuse panel on the top of the battery and am getting power from there as well. Pulled the plug out with the 3 leads going into it and turned the car on and power to all 3 terminals. would the blower control switch cause all of this if it is bad?

When the ac switch on the dash is ingaged the light does not come on either.

please help as we live in fresno Ca. and it is getting in the 100 here my wife is on my but to fix it but dont know were to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 01:18 AM

USA, USA
Car: VW Jetta TDI
Default Dash fan and AC not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaguy View Post
I have a 1999 1.8 turbo beetle. The car is awsome! i went to go turn the a/c on and there was nothing there. blower does not come on either. I have checked all the fuses in the side [panel fuse box and are all good. Check the fuse panel on the top of the battery and am getting power from there as well. Pulled the plug out with the 3 leads going into it and turned the car on and power to all 3 terminals. would the blower control switch cause all of this if it is bad?

When the ac switch on the dash is ingaged the light does not come on either.

please help as we live in fresno Ca. and it is getting in the 100 here my wife is on my but to fix it but dont know were to check.

Go over to TDIClub.com and search for my handle, AndyBees. Look for my posts. There you will see a very recent write-up I did related to an experience I had with the AC/Fan in a 99 NB TDI.

In another post here in this thread, I will give a quick summary.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 AM

USA, USA
Default AC and dash fan not working in your 99 NB

Frist, only one of the three fuses at the battery involve the AC... the one on the left, facing the battery, goes to the fans out front via the "fan control module" (located on bottom of rail left front below tranny slightly behind radiator). The other two fuses involve the ABS system. As I remember, Fuse # 25 in the fuse panel provides current to the fan switch.

Now, the dash fan control switch must "work" in order for the AC system to "kick" in. That switch is prone to break! The write up that I mentioned in the above post provides most of the detail on how to access the switch and repair it.

Also, in the referenced post, I got into pretty good detail on how to find and remove the resister pack for testing/observation. The resister pack provides for the 4 speeds on the dash fan. It is located inside the fan housing. The fan housing is located under the dash behind the glove box......... all that dash stuff, including the glove box, must come off in order to access the fan housing. On the bottom of the fan housing, there are two 7 mm head screws that hold a cover (its on the bottom, how could it be a cover....LOL). When you remove those two screws (you will have to feel for them, or stick your head under there with a light to see them), that cover will fall down and the resister pack can be seen attached to it. Also, you should notice the 4-pin connector that is attached to the right bottom side of the fan housing. It will be very noticable.

Taking the Dash out in order to access the fan switch is a PITA. You need patiences big time, the right tools to remove the radio......... yep, radio has to come out. Its all in the referenced web site ........... sorry no link! I highly urge you to see the write-up before attempting to remove dash panels, etc.... you can do it!

Hope this helps! ......... Oh, JB Weld will fix the switch!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:39 AM

USA, USA
Default AC woes

PM sent with info!

Will follow with another PM and more info!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM

USA, USA
Default AC woes ..... taking out the switches and radio

NB fan switch on the dash.......... taking it out.

If either switch (fan switch or AC button) is bad, you will have to take the dash apart to access them.

Taking the center section out is very nerve racking. The center piece (long and black) must be pushed toward the windshield to un-snap it (notice it is a two-piece object). You may have to use a screw driver to prey it....... be careful and don't break it. Once its out of the way, look thru the windshield and see the two screws up there that hold the front part of the remaining center section of the dash.

Now, the biggie is taking out the radio. If you do not have the tools, you can make them using a hacksaw blade and metal shears. First, to get an idea of what they (you need two of them) look like, go to Ebay and do a search on "radio removal tools" (something like that). Then you can see they are about 9mm wide by 6 inches long and about 2mm thick (hacksaw blade thickness). First, cut the hacksaw blade in half (hence the two tools) Then cut off the teeth of the hacksaw blade. Make sure that what's left of the blade is 9mm wide (wider than 9mm will not work, and much smaller will not work good). Now, near the end, cut each blade cross-ways on a good 45 degree angle. That will give you a set of tools that will release the radio but will not pull it out. Be careful pulling on the face of the radio....... it will break. To make the tools work better (pull out the radio) you need to cut a notch in each one about half way up the 45 degree face. Look at the samples for sale in Ebay ... they have photos that reveal design.

Now, the tools need to be inserted on either side and bottom of the radio. There should be a thin slot on the bottom of the face of the radio either side for the purpose of inserting the tools. The sharp part of the tool goes to the outside edge of the radio (that's important). In otherwords, the two tools will be inserted on either side with the angled cut facing toward the bottom center of the radio. Push them in slowly until you feel resistance (they may have to be wiggled to get them to go in). Once the two tools are in the same depth and have the same resistance on them, continue to push until you hear them click (they will not click if the little cut is not made on the angled face). Once they have clicked, the radio is loose and can be pulled straight out with the two tools........ you may need to help by prying a little with your fingers/screw driver.

What I did was this: I did not cut the little place on the angle until I got the radio out. That way, I looked it over, inserted the tool to see how it fit and then cut the notches to the exact spot. So, without cutting the notches, you insert the two tools....... push on the resistance (spring) and let someone work the radio out as you hold the resistance to release the spring. Its toward the front part of the radio (hence only 6 inch tools), so it will not take much to get the radio out ...... don't forget there are two connectors on left back and antenna wire plug on the right back....... you will see!

Once the radio is out, this will give you access to additional screws holding the center dash section. You will also be able to see the control wires that go to the fan switch area. They need to be disconnected too. The knobs on the switches and controls pull straight off ........ difficult, but they do come off.

The fan switch may come apart on you ... be careful not to lose any parts ... there are no springs as I recall.

The vents will not be a problem. Don't forget to pop-off the two plastic pieces on either side of the emergency flasher switch and the rear defroster switch ... more screws behind those plastic pieces.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Northeast Auto Service

Car: passat

sounds like a faulty blower switch.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM

USA, USA
Default AC woes

Wow!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 AM

I have this right now. 1999 NB TDI

Was working yesterday afternoon and then last night, nothing.

No A/C light. No blower no matter what it is set to. Fuse 25 is ok.

Does that mean I might have a bad rotary switch?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 AM

Car: 2000 GLX 1.8T 5 SP/1956 Oval Window 100 HP of INSANITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ED View Post
I have this right now. 1999 NB TDI

Was working yesterday afternoon and then last night, nothing.

No A/C light. No blower no matter what it is set to. Fuse 25 is ok.

Does that mean I might have a bad rotary switch?
I would have to say yes, my blower switch came apart twice now. Nothin nada would work no blower no A/C nothing, I took my dash apart and repaired my switch twice now, only because I have not had the $ or time to go get a replacement.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Yup - that was it.

Many thanks to all here. Removing the center piece was fun.

Found the metal clip just happy lying down.

The plastic broken part fell apart but I still managed to secure it w/ Gorilla Glue.

This was yesterday. Today, it is nice and secure - and works.

Now the FUN task of back together put.

Now on to the headliner and radio antenna... one day.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Cherchez la coeur...

Car: Oso - a black 99 GLS TDI

Just for reference, here's the thread detailing the blower switch repair.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 AM

Smile Thx!!!

I had the same problem on my 2000 nb and thank you thank you thank you for this info!!! We we're able to fix in less than an hour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.