Trunk warning light stays on - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Trunk warning light stays on

I have a 2002 Beetle. Recently the trunk warning light began staying on all the time. I can lock the car with my remote, but cannot arm the alarm. The trunk appears to be locking safely. What is strange to me is the trunk warning sound does not come on when driving.

I have read a few threads of people with the same issue. Some of my details are slightly different, so I wanted to see what anyone had to say before I started tearing things apart.

Thanks for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Has it just started all of the sudden? Mine does it sometimes after it rains.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM

I just started a few days ago. However it has been raining pretty hard this week.

Do you just wait for it to dry out and it goes back to normal or did you find a way to fix it?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:41 PM
5/23/10 <3

Mine would stop once everything dried. It hasn't done it in awhile. I think it has something to do with water getting into the 3rd brake light area but I don't remember.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove

Car: 2001 Batik Blue 2.0 GLS 5spd

haha. must be a bad time for trunk hatches right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQJettaIV

Here's one for you guys: yesterday i had noticed that my bug's hatch light on my dash has lit up now....also, when i hit the lock button on the remote, the horn doesn't honk either....im thinking something's up (obviously), but not making a huge concern over it since everything else is fine...oddly enough, this happens when im in charleston for work and won't be back til friday afternoon. anyways, anyone have a clue what it could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlequinPixie

my bug does something sorta the same. the horn won't beep if the hood or trunk aren't "closed" at any time, but the trunk hatch has started doing the thing where if you don't really slam the thing shut it thinks it's still open and the instrument panel light stays on. Really put some back into closing the thing and it's fine though. I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQJettaIV

i haven't really concerned myself with it since i know everything is shut tight, im thinking either a switch or module is acting up i just dont have time/tools at the moment to check it. ill have to wait until i get back in town to tinker with it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhines_06gli
Driver's door module, front hood microswitch or rear hatch latch microswitch. One of these is bad. Your car still locks and all, just no alram activation b/c it thinks there is still a bonnet or door opened somewhere. Hard to tell which w/o VAG or a scan tool capable of measured value blocks.
(jhines is a tech I know at our local dealer)
Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

water gets by the 3rd brake light. Causes this problem.

Usually just goes away once it's dry.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM

Default arrrrrggghhh

I am having the same issue (and it has been apparently fixed twice already) - 2007 New Beetle

My alarm goes off at absolutely great times of the the day, like 4:30 a.m. on a Tuesday or 6:00 a.m. on the weekend.

The trunk indicator light will also stay on, or turn on at various times.

When I first took it in they said there was some corrosion in the trunk latch (makes sense as I live in Canada and it gets wet and super cold) they replaced the latch and I was back not a week later when the alarm went off again, this time they loosened the trunk latch a bit as they thought it might be too stiff for me to close it properly. All fine for about 2 weeks, then this week my trunk indicator light goes on - great I know what is coming so I don't arm the alarm, I just press the button in the door. Indicator light goes off yesterday so I arm the alarm last night and.......it goes off early this morning (and today is a holiday....)

Any help?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Car: 2000 GLX Tekno-Blue/Grey 1.8t 5-spd

Sounds like no one's actually fixed the leak.

"Water gets in around the 3rd brake light. Causes this problem."

Sounds like they repaired the corroded latch, and did nothing to keep it from happening again.

Pop the black cover off the hatch (2 phillips head screws, then pull). Silicone that 3rd brake light into place, not like your LED's are going to ever burn out. And then reassemble. If that doesn't fix it, then find the cause of the leak, and patch it.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM

Car: 2002 new beetle 2.0 motor

Well, I had a little trouble finding this topic but your help I went directly to the problem. The instructions were great. My problems arose after a terrible rain storm. I think the water got into the small electrical plug right on the latch as that was the only wet area. I pulled the plug and blew it out and also where it plugged into. When my problem started it had set of my alarm and I had to leave my doors unlocked.
Thanks for all the tips on here.
I have also had to do the sunroof drains in the past and replaced the guides on the sunroof.
Has anyone had the low fuel light stay on all the time? I'm guessing this is a bad ground but I haven't dug into it yet as the guage is working fine.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:44 PM

hey guys, so i have been having the same issues with my 2006 NB! first my alarm just randomly goes off and now my trunk open warning light is staying on and when i leave and lock my car the horn does not sound. So what the consensus seems to be is that there is water in the third brake light? Have any of you had continuing problems (this thread is a couple months old) and/or gone to a mechanic/dealer to have it fixed? (or fixed it yourselves?)

It did rain a lot last night, so that seems like it may be the cause of my trunk problem, however the alarm sounding happened three days ago (and hasn't happened since, but it happened twice that day) so i am nervous it may happen again soon!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Car: 2002 2.0L & 2007 GTI

I have this same problem (random alarm going off, then more recently, the trunk light saying the trunk is open when it is not) and just like everyone else, it seems to only happen when it rains. The really strange thing is that it indicates the trunk is open with only a dim light in the dash, but when I actually open the trunk the light is fully bright.

Anyway, I popped off the plastic cover and saw signs of water getting in there. How do I access that third light (it is behind the metal frame of the trunk that doesn't look to be removable) to seal it?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Car: 2002 2.0L & 2007 GTI

Found my answer for how to remove that third brake light.....

Clear Third Brake Light Install - How-To
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Returning senior member

Car: 99 grn/Blk leather,1.8 T,5-sp, Eibach springs & Damped, -2"frt.-1.5" rear. 2.5 Tectonics SS ex, K%N
Default Rear hatch open light...

Besides the third brake light, water can also get in through the key lock/ VW medallion. Early cars had this back-up key release for manual unlocking and releasing of the hatch. Attached to that circular plate inside and below it is a water re-direction tube that is rectangular at the upper end where it attach's to the lock and tapers down into a circular shape. It re-directs any water that might leak past the rubber sealing gasket around the medallion past the latching mechanism avoiding short circuits in the locking sensor. Zip ties work great for securing this channel to the main assembly. The rear hatch warning light can also be triggered if the hatch is not completely latched. It may appear to be closed all the way but it may not be. When pushing down and pulling up a latched hatch there should be little or no movement of the hatch. The two adjustment buffers at each side might need to be re-adjusted to allow the hatch to close more securely. This may fix the problem if the latch is in good working order. The sensor connected to the hatch is scanable through the comfort module via the main data link connector. Good luck..JK

Turbomania
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM

Car: 2002 TDI Red Beetle
Default Trunk won't stay shut

I have read all of the posts, however my situation is a little different. The trunk warning light stays on but my trunk actually is popped and open. I can get out and shut the trunk and then it will automatically just pop open again on its own. Shut it and the same thing again. I have replaced the trunk latch and stayed shut across town and then open again. Replaced the switch and it stayed shut for about a day and then again the same thing...the trunk won't stay shut. Anyone had this problem. I have only owned my beetle for about 3 months and love it but don't want to spend a fortune at the dealer to fix this problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 PM

i just spotted this thread and i'd like to say...we have trunk warning lights? I've never seen mine, i don't even know where it is on the dash, that, and my seatbelt light is out too, and door ajar light...
Old 01-27-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomania View Post
Besides the third brake light, water can also get in through the key lock/ VW medallion. Early cars had this back-up key release for manual unlocking and releasing of the hatch. Attached to that circular plate inside and below it is a water re-direction tube that is rectangular at the upper end where it attach's to the lock and tapers down into a circular shape. It re-directs any water that might leak past the rubber sealing gasket around the medallion past the latching mechanism avoiding short circuits in the locking sensor. Zip ties work great for securing this channel to the main assembly. The rear hatch warning light can also be triggered if the hatch is not completely latched. It may appear to be closed all the way but it may not be. When pushing down and pulling up a latched hatch there should be little or no movement of the hatch. The two adjustment buffers at each side might need to be re-adjusted to allow the hatch to close more securely. This may fix the problem if the latch is in good working order. The sensor connected to the hatch is scanable through the comfort module via the main data link connector. Good luck..JK
I put in a new latch and switch but my trunk hatch is still popping open. You mention the hatch is scanable through the comfort module via the main data link connector...what is this??? I need help trying to figure out why my hatch keeps popping open on its own. Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noR View Post
Sounds like no one's actually fixed the leak.

"Water gets in around the 3rd brake light. Causes this problem."

Sounds like they repaired the corroded latch, and did nothing to keep it from happening again.

Pop the black cover off the hatch (2 phillips head screws, then pull). Silicone that 3rd brake light into place, not like your LED's are going to ever burn out. And then reassemble. If that doesn't fix it, then find the cause of the leak, and patch it.
My situation is a little different. The trunk warning light stays on but my trunk actually is popped and open. I can get out and shut the trunk and then it will automatically just pop open again on its own. Shut it and the same thing again. I have replaced the trunk latch and stayed shut across town and then open again. Replaced the switch and it stayed shut for about a day and then again the same thing...the trunk won't stay shut. Anyone had this problem. I have only owned my beetle for about 3 months and love it but don't want to spend a fortune at the dealer to fix this problem.

Do you think this could also be a water problem?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 AM

Car: 04 Subaru WRX, 04 Beetle 2.0 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Mine would stop once everything dried. It hasn't done it in awhile. I think it has something to do with water getting into the 3rd brake light area but I don't remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noR View Post
water gets by the 3rd brake light. Causes this problem.

Usually just goes away once it's dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmhuslwl16 View Post
hey guys, so i have been having the same issues with my 2006 NB! first my alarm just randomly goes off and now my trunk open warning light is staying on and when i leave and lock my car the horn does not sound. So what the consensus seems to be is that there is water in the third brake light? Have any of you had continuing problems (this thread is a couple months old) and/or gone to a mechanic/dealer to have it fixed? (or fixed it yourselves?)

It did rain a lot last night, so that seems like it may be the cause of my trunk problem, however the alarm sounding happened three days ago (and hasn't happened since, but it happened twice that day) so i am nervous it may happen again soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adisman View Post
I have this same problem (random alarm going off, then more recently, the trunk light saying the trunk is open when it is not) and just like everyone else, it seems to only happen when it rains. The really strange thing is that it indicates the trunk is open with only a dim light in the dash, but when I actually open the trunk the light is fully bright.

Anyway, I popped off the plastic cover and saw signs of water getting in there. How do I access that third light (it is behind the metal frame of the trunk that doesn't look to be removable) to seal it?
All this happened to me. It was raining very hard. It never happened before. I'll take a look at this when it gets warmer.
Anybody had luck fixing it?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
5/23/10 <3

Mine stopped on its own Seriously. I figured out what the problem was and it hasn't happened since. My car has sat in days worth of rain and the problem hasn't returned. I think I just got lucky though.

Replacing the seal on the 3rd brake light is usually the fix though. Its a common problem.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Car: 04 Subaru WRX, 04 Beetle 2.0 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Mine stopped on its own Seriously. I figured out what the problem was and it hasn't happened since. My car has sat in days worth of rain and the problem hasn't returned. I think I just got lucky though.

Replacing the seal on the 3rd brake light is usually the fix though. Its a common problem.
Smiley: Has it happened again to your bug?
After last few days of rain it happened again to our bug.
I just pulled it all apart. I have found that micro switch has some problems. When I disconnect wiring from microswitch, alarm arms, and everything seems to be ok. Then when I connect it alarm goes off (trunk latch is in locked position so switch should be in in correct position too. I can see it being pushed by latch, I guess it must be corroded or something.

I am going to auto zone, buy spray to clean it, I'll spray it inside and see if it improves.

Alarm has bee going off many times since wednesday.

Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.