Sunroof Drain Tube Horror story..... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
"that kid with the bug"

Car: currently looking for a 1.8T or Turbo S
Default Sunroof Drain Tube Horror story.....

so i finally got around to cleaning the drain tubes today. cleaned the front ones no problem, tried to clean the back ones and nothing.... clogged completley and my fish isnt strong enough to push the clog out. noticed my trunk was wet and my headliner has a stain after my first real rain in about 4 months(parked under a cover). so now im pulling my headliner to get to the tubes.... and its raining again so i had to stop mid-process.

Morel of the story, clean your drain tubes every month. it takes 10 min and can save you a whole day of taking parts off...

Matt

turbo S: $200.37 a month
intake: free
K&N Xstream: $80.00

embarassing every ricer within 50 miles: PRICLESS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Returning senior member

Car: 99 grn/Blk leather,1.8 T,5-sp, Eibach springs & Damped, -2"frt.-1.5" rear. 2.5 Tectonics SS ex, K%N
Default Sun roof drains...

My dealer clears the drain tubes out with low pressure compressed air. They apply the air from the outside or rear of the drain system into the front drain itself. Many times a clog can be un-lodged by reversing the flow direction. Be very careful with any kind of "fish" or probe, the drain tube can be damaged very easily by puncturing it. Let us know how your worked out... JK

Turbomania
Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: VAG Product

Where did you get your fish from? I was thinking of buying a cabling fish from Home Depot.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
"that kid with the bug"

i just used a long ass peice of weed-eater wire in the plastic variety, green flavor. everything worked out ok. im about to clean the trim pannels. now that i kno how easy it is to get the peices off im thinking about painting them in the future.

one thing i did notice is that i dont have tweeters in the A-pillar. i have a Turbo-S with the monsoon and i was under the impression i was supposed to have tweets in the A-pillar, the highs in the dash, and the door midbass. maby im just crazy....

i dont have to take the whole headliner out like i thought. just the back and middle pannels. i couldnt figure out how to get the sunroof part off(that and the mirror deal) so i figured out a way to make it work. if anyone can help me with that aspect i would apreciate it as i want to re-cover it with some kind of black fabric(im going for an all-black interior).

Matt
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 AM
lurkin all day !

Car: 2002 Black TS

drain tubes??? I never knew.... could this be why my entire roof is rusting from underneath.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:14 AM
"that kid with the bug"

lol, that might b the reason. when i pulled my back trim pannels there was a prety large ammount of water.

Matt
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
lurkin all day !

Car: 2002 Black TS

where are these drain tubes ?
I've never had water actually in my car though....
Old 09-28-2009, 08:26 PM
"that kid with the bug"

theres a DIY on here somewhere about the tubes. i have pics of the rear tubes and everything u have to remove to get to them. ill post them up in a few minutes.

Matt
Old 09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
"that kid with the bug"

heres 3 of them. 2 more in the next post

Matt
Attached Images/Files

Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
"that kid with the bug"

ok, well i can t get the last 2 pics to upload. ill try to get them uploade later tonite.

Matt
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM

Car: 2002 NB 2.0 GLS

So we're in the process of cleaning the tubes in my sunroof to try and fix a wet trunk as well... What are the trim panels? I want to see if there is water under those as well since I already know I am begining to take water in through my roof...
FUN stuff.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
"that kid with the bug"

you need to remove all of the rear trim panels. the ones that the drivers and passengers seatbelts are attach to, the rear seatbelt pannels, and the rear trim pannel. if the pictures are still in this thread it will give you an idea of what all you have t oremove.

Matt
Old 07-25-2010, 09:00 PM
BeetleBug7

Car: 1999 GLS Beetle.
Default A lot of damage due to rain

I noticed a few months ago a little bit of water on the passenger floor. Then last week my ac stopped running on high and very little cold air on the other settings. I took the glove box off today and found a lot of water in the blower motor resistor. The resistor is so corroded and had shorted out due to the water.....plus we had a heck of a storm last night.......so I believe this is why I'm seeing so much water and the floor is soaked.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 AM

Car: silver '00 1.8 l turbo
Default drain tubes

Winterize - Sun Roof Drains
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 AM

FL,
Car: 2002 New Beetle, 20valve Turbo
Default Sunroof Drain Tube Horror story.....

I have read your posts and others on plugged roof drain tubes and I thought I would mention that there is a recall on these tubes and the dealer will repair the tubes and will not plug up any more. call your dealer and mention the recall and give your vin number. Mine were just replaced along with the coil packs on my 2002 1.8 turbo. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 AM
R32 Swap In-Progress...

Car: 2000 Beetle 3.2 24v

This may be a stupid question but if my drain tubes are red does that mean the recall was done?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Catch me riding s00ty!

Car: Formally 2001.5 Sport 5speed-- Titan Currently 2005.5 Jetta TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
This may be a stupid question but if my drain tubes are red does that mean the recall was done?
No. Mine are also red and i have not done the recall yet.

The recall Vw has is to clean them out with a can of compressed air and for them to maintain them every 2 years or 24,000 miles, hopefully for free.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:19 PM

Car: 03 Red Turbo S, 66 Ford Galaxie

I was at a VW car show last weekend and one of the judges was a local VW dealership mechanic. He pointed out the stains at the rear of my headliner (so faint that I never noticed them)and asked if I had the recall done yet. The answer was no and he told me that if I go in there and complain about the stained headliner, they would most likely replace it. So of course I called and asked about the recall. My stains are in the rear corners of the headliner and the dude on the phone said the recall is only for the front tubes?? Does anyone on here have more specific info on the recall? Seems to me if there is staining in the rear of the headliner, there is obviously an issue with the rear tubes as well. I do park on an incline in my driveway (nose uphill) but if the rear tubes are working, wouldn't you think the water would go out the rear tubes before it got to the headliner (IF they were working properly?)
Old 10-08-2010, 05:57 AM

Car: 2002 turbo s
Red face drain tubes

i have a 2002 turbo s. i open my sunroof and used an 1/8 coated cable from lowes. you'll need about 5-8 feet. the holes are on the far left and right top. towards the front/doors. push it thru gently and you will see water hit the pavement. never had a problem with the back. had most of my problems when parked on an incline. the factory recall was just sent to me in september of 2010. they "fixed" it......but didnt have the new drain connected. vw cant fix s**t. you should read the list of how many times ive been in the shop. find a real performance shop. if you dis-lodge the drain tube. just pull off the a-pillar cover and re-attach. watch the cheap headliner and things. or you'll have another problem. enjoy you beetle----
Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 AM

Car: 2003 TDI GLS

so weve begun to have spring rains and my Left A opillar is getting wet. does this mean my front roof drain is clogged. I will try some of these tips this weekend and see what happens. the forum rocks for info like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.