No Headlights, blower turn signals or wipers - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 AM

Default No Headlights, blower turn signals or wipers

When cold??? My wife has issues lately with it being cold (6²F) where when she gets in the car to drive (after letting it run it not) none of those things work for about 10 minutes. It did this once before about 2 years ago, but no signs of it since then until yesterday. Anyone got any ideas into this wierd issue? I assume it's from the cold, but have no idea. Looking to the experts to help a brother out...

BTW, 2003 1.8T Beetle

Last edited by big3etr; 01-04-2010 at 03:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 AM
T.O.D.6 May 2014

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Sound like you've got an ignition switch gone bad. Happened to me before. The switch is in the steering column and is an easy fix- a good little DIY. The switch is about 45-65 dollars depending where you get it from. The dealer is usually the higher end of the price scale. Fellow orger, Buckbeetle just did this DIY too and his problem is solved.

Give me or Buckbeetle a PM and we'll be glad to help you out

CLICK-- Cup- my New Beetle

Org members Facebook group: "The Collective" CLICK HERE
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 AM

the radio works, and other things, just not those. She was just on the phone with me from work 5 minutes ago telling me when she just went to go for a break, they weren't working again. That's 2 times tonight now. I hope you're right about this. Right after doing the Tbelt, and that crappy water pump, I'm done fixing crap on her car... lol
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 AM
T.O.D.6 May 2014

It's sounding like it's the ignition switch buddy. Your birghts should work though. You'll have to keep the signal stalk pulled toward you do keep the lights on. I'll get Buckbeetle to chime in on your dilemma as well.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO

Car: 2004 Ford Focus ZX3

I guarantee Scarab is right. Mine went out and I had the same symptoms as you... of course mine had to happen the winter semester I had late night classes.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 AM

USA

Look for an ignition switch on ebay. I got mine for $18 including the shipping. Takes about 30-45 mins to replace. Not really hard to do, just a pain to get to it.

When they go, they do one of two things.

1. They just go. Meaning that the lights, wipers, blower motor, etc. will not work. All the things that require the key to be on to work.

2. You can jiggle the key and the stuff listed above will work. But this is temp. fix only and the ignition switch should still be replaced.

Dealer here wanted $275 to fix. I did it for $18 plus an hour or so of my time.
2008 Ford Focus SEL
1998 Ford Explorer
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
T.O.D.6 May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbeetle View Post
Look for an ignition switch on ebay. I got mine for $18 including the shipping. Takes about 30-45 mins to replace. Not really hard to do, just a pain to get to it.

When they go, they do one of two things.

1. They just go. Meaning that the lights, wipers, blower motor, etc. will not work. All the things that require the key to be on to work.

2. You can jiggle the key and the stuff listed above will work. But this is temp. fix only and the ignition switch should still be replaced.

Dealer here wanted $275 to fix. I did it for $18 plus an hour or so of my time.
WOW, $18.00! I didn't know your switch was so cheap. Do you have a link to that? For that price I might get a couple for an emergency, especially that Cup and I go out of town for GTG's.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
overwhelmed/underpaid

Car: a project jetta in a state of (dis)repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabY2k View Post
WOW, $18.00! I didn't know your switch was so cheap. Do you have a link to that? For that price I might get a couple for an emergency, especially that Cup and I go out of town for GTG's.
you don't want the chinese ones (i think that's what they are for that price).

2.0S jetta glx-i...13.765@105.6
Old 01-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice. I ordered the ignition switch from blauparts. (28 bux) I appreciate the help...
Old 01-04-2010, 07:26 PM

Car: 2000 2.0 GLS Super Charged

yeah ignition switch but be sure to check your wiring harness too just fixed mine its a common problem with vw's
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
T.O.D.6 May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
you don't want the chinese ones (i think that's what they are for that price).
Thanks for the heads up "J"

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3etr View Post
Thanks for the replies and advice. I ordered the ignition switch from blauparts. (28 bux) I appreciate the help...
Here's the link for inquiring minds CLICK HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthelight View Post
yeah ignition switch but be sure to check your wiring harness too just fixed mine its a common problem with vw's
Could you please expound on the wiring harness situation. Reason being is that I've replaced this switch twice. Is there something I need to do with the harness? Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 PM

Talking 2000 beetle ignition switch

My stepdaughter just bought this beetle and she loves it but was very upset to have the items listed above stopped working. We are going to change the ignition switch and hope it works. I will let you know.
Thanks

Rick
Old 02-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Same problem...new iginition switch fixed it

no recent posts or updates on this one, so I thought I'd add my $.02.

My daughter had all these same symptoms on her way home last night...had to hold the bright lever on the entire way for the headlights to work. I replaced the ignition switch ($40 @ local parts shop...VW wanted $69), and that fixed it.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 AM
T.O.D.6 May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrsFan View Post
no recent posts or updates on this one, so I thought I'd add my $.02.

My daughter had all these same symptoms on her way home last night...had to hold the bright lever on the entire way for the headlights to work. I replaced the ignition switch ($40 @ local parts shop...VW wanted $69), and that fixed it.

Thanks!
Congrats

Your story reminded me of my trip back from the Return to Roswell beetle meet.

I left Dallas, heading back to Jacksonville at bare glimmer of first light, to hopefully make it back to FL before night fall... yep, my ig switch went out too. Anyhoo, got east of Tallahassee when dusk reached it's end. I had to McGyver a coke can to prop the signal stalk, to keep the bright lights on, in order to finish the final 3 hour leg of my trip home. Fortunately, I-10 is pretty much boondocks from Tallahassee to Jacksonville, so there was no trouble from the FHP or the sparse number of cars along the way.

Anyhoo, enough of my jibba jabba... cool that you found a good deal on the ig switch too. The dealerships can rob you blind
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
New Beetle Co-Driver

Car: 2006 Honda Ridgeline

I am running into this EXACT problem now.

Does anyone have a DIY article on how to replace this?

Also, does anyone know which Audi this part will correspond to? I work as a tech in a Honda/Audi dealership and can get Audi parts, I just want to make sure I have the right one.

Thanks all
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM
big poster turned lurker.

Car: 03 Turbo S, 99 Cabrio, two 87 Audi 5000's

The diy wasn't that hard, there should be a writeup somewhere on here, you just have to remove a lot of paneling to get to it.

As for an Audi part number, I'm not really sure there is one, if there is, the tt since its a mk4 is the closest chassis/electrical wise. But an interesting tidbit, when I was having ignition problems with my 5000, the ignition swith in it was interchangeable with the one in the beetle/mk4 g-j.

Last edited by Toad; 05-05-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
New Beetle Co-Driver

Car: 2006 Honda Ridgeline

well through a little research (should have just done that in the first place) I found that the 2002 Audi A4 has the same 1" crown ignition switch.

It's not as cheap as I could find it online, but its raining here today, and I need headlights!

For further reference, here is the Audi part number for the ignition switch : 4B0-905-849

That part number if referenced on a bunch of VW parts pages as also being the part number for the 2002 Beetle (and many others, this was just the one I needed in my case).

Also, just for arguments sake, my price on it was $51.38 for the factory part. You guys may be able to use that number when/if you get the factory part to try to get a price break on it.

I may try to take a bunch of pictures when I do this this afternoon. Not exactly how I planned on spending my Saturday, but at least I get to do it in the shop with all my tools and not in my driveway, and its raining!

Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.