Power window broken, heard loud bang, what happened? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 PM

Car: 2001 GL
Default Power window broken, heard loud bang, what happened?

So much for the first nice day of spring... I cracked my passenger window a few inches, then when I tried to roll it up again, I heard a loud pop/bang inside the door and now the window doesn't work and is stuck in the open position (thank god I didn't roll it down all the way...)

I'm taking it in for service tomorrow, but I want to know what happened... and also how expensive this is to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Car: 2001 GLX

Without a doubt, this is a window regulator. Its really not that hard of a thing to fix yourself, if you have some mechanical know-how. The repair kit is usually just under $75. I can't say how much it would cost for a dealer to do this.

The part number for the dealership is:

Left: 1CM-898-655
Right: 1CM-898-656

http://www.newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-...-problems.html

That site has some pretty good pictures of what you'd be doing.

Good luck!
Matt
Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM
~Feel the Sting~

Car: 2011 Ford Transit Connect

Isn't there a recall on the regulators at some point? They were replacing them for free at one point anyway.. not sure if that's still in effect.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM

I'm pretty sure this only applied to the windows on the New Beetle Convertible, and especially the rear windows because they lowered when the top went down.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Not low enough

Car: 2003 GLS vert

the extended warranty on regulators is 7 years, so the OP is beyond that anyway. also, mine makes a pop sometimes when i put it up and then it reverses and goes down. i open the door and slam it and try again and it works.

finally, i'm pretty sure it's NOT the regulator. when the regulator goes, the window falls into the door. think of the window like clothes on a clothes line, and the regulator as the clothes pin. the regulator holds the glass to the track, so when it goes, the window falls.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear with my first post...the repair kit includes the regulator (essentially an enclosed spool of cable) AND the window clips. When mine did this, the window did not drop into the door (as happens when the window clips break) but it simply got stuck (the spool of cable got all tangled up when a part broke). I'd still be willing to bet money that the repair kit will solve your problem as it is quite uncommon that the actual motors themselves fail.

Matt
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 AM

KY, USA
Car: 2001

Most likely the 'clips' in the door that hold the window broke. happened to mine too. Mine also was so nice to crack in the door and the motor cable wrapped around the window. I think that this not a recall, but a yes, we realize there may be a problem, but we are not recalling but will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.