Power outlets - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
New Beetle Lover

Car: '00 GLS - Anette, '00 GLS - Beauty
Default Power outlets

Hey, all!

My power outlets are not working in my 2000 NB. My assumption is that this is a blown fuse, but I can't figure out which one to check. The "guide" on the inside of the fuse box is all symbols and the owner's manual doesn't give and legend on how to interpret them.

Can anyone tell me what the symbol is for the power outlets or, otherwise guide me to being able to fix this so I can plug my cell in while I am driving?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Car: 2002 NB GLS TDI

the one in the trunk is fuse #35, the ones in the cabin should be fuse #41 (it's identified as the one for cigarette lighter...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
New Beetle Lover

Default Thanks!

Kewl!

I had no idea there were ones in the trunk. Only the two in the cabin are having issues.

I'll check that out ASAP.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Car: 2004 New Beetle Convertible

I'm having the same problem in my '04 NBC. are the fuses the same for the NBC?

(I tried looking it up in a technical manual from an auto parts store. it had a whole chapter on the electrics, but nothing about the lighter.)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 PM
treiber gefunden

Car: 2004 CONVERTIBLE GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejacobs99 View Post
I'm having the same problem in my '04 NBC. are the fuses the same for the NBC?

(I tried looking it up in a technical manual from an auto parts store. it had a whole chapter on the electrics, but nothing about the lighter.)
Yep, #41 20 amp does your power ports and cigarette liter
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Car: 2002 Cyber Green GLS New Beetle

My outlets were also not working, so I went to change the fuse, and it sent a spark at me. Being a girl, I screamed and will not go near the fuse box for fear the car is angry at me and is now trying to kill me. Why would it spark? Bad wiring?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

There is a short. That's what caused the first fuse to go. Check inside the power ports, could be something in one of them. If you find nothing, someone will have to track down the cause of the short, possibly the wiring behind one of the plugs.

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM

Default fusebox diagram

check out this diagram

Volkswagen Jetta Fuse Layout - Volkswagen Jetta and Gold Fuse Locations and Details - 1999 and Newer
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Car: 2000 2.0 Beetle, Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 3.2 Tdi, Mitsubishi 2.8td Intercooler.

It seems to be an issue with these, my 2000 Beetle has a problem with the cigar lighter. Checked the fuses and found a dead short in the circuit. For now I have left the fuse out until I have time to get to the problem. Prior to this has anyone had this problem and can advise before I start Checking the whole loom?

BTW, The spark when you insert the new fuse is the fuse blowing again because of a dead short. The car is not angry, just a little unwell and would be really happy if you could fix her. Cars run on 12v only and will not hurt you, in fact you can't feel the power there. The only way to tell is with a tester or by grounding a live and it will spark, there is nothing to be afraid of. Nobody is hurt by 12v but many get a smack from the cooling fan :-)

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me alone.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:30 AM

Car: 2009 NBC Harvest Moon

If they are like my 09, they are switched on with the ignition switch. When the switch is off, no power to the outlets. No outlet in the trunk either. What a bummer!

I haven't seen an adult since I was a kid!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
If they are like my 09, they are switched on with the ignition switch. When the switch is off, no power to the outlets. No outlet in the trunk either. What a bummer!
That's the way it should be. No need to needlessly but a constant drain on the battery in case you leave something plugged in by accident.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

My '99 had power to the outlets with the car off, as does my GTI.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
New Beetle Lover

First off, I'd like to thank you all for contributing, especially Similar for the link to the Fuse Guide.

Unfortunately, though, I am having another issue which may be related to to the fuses, but even the online Fuse Guide doesn't list which fuse may be causing my problem.

I have a 2000 GLS Bug, which has the clock and exterior temperature gauge mounted on the roof. Recently, my battery died and, when jumed the battery, The temperature gauge stopped working and all I get is 4 "dashes" and an F, indicating that I have set it to Farenheit and not Celsius.

Could this also be a blown fuse issue, or fif I fry the temp sensor when I umped the battery?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

If it were a fuse the display wouldn't be lit up and the clock wouldn't work. I would check underneath the drivers side front bumper to see if the outside temp sensor got disconnected somehow.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
New Beetle Lover

That makes sense, I just did not know if they were both on the same fuse. Thanks, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
If it were a fuse the display wouldn't be lit up and the clock wouldn't work. I would check underneath the drivers side front bumper to see if the outside temp sensor got disconnected somehow.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM

Car: 2000 2.0 Beetle, Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 3.2 Tdi, Mitsubishi 2.8td Intercooler.

Have you tried changing it to Celsius to see if it responds ? It may be waiting for you to set it. If it will not change it's probably damaged. Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
confused , fuse , power outlets , symbols

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.