starting problems - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 PM

Car: FS:'01 Beetle GLX 1.8t, '05 F150 XLT
Default starting problems

lately I've been having problems starting my car. sometimes it starts right up other time noting, all the lights on the dash light up but nothing. I know it's not the battery, it's new. is there a relay or temp sensor that could be causing this problem. it seems to happen most of the time after the car has been running awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
You can always turbo it

WI, USA

What is the longest time you hold the key when you start it, if it doesn't start up in 10 seconds, then you can damage the starter and your battery and electrical system. If it doesn't start, any of the following could be the cause:
Fuel Filter (may be dirty and clogs fuel line)
Fuel MAP (may be programmed incorrectly and does not supply enough fuel upon starting)
Starter (if the starter has ever been replaced, it has to be the exact same one that the car came with, if it is more powerful, it will damage the car, not enough will damage the starter itself)
Battery (make sure the starting AMPERES are correct as this can cause the problem if it doesn't have enough power sometimes to start the car)

If these are not the problem, let me let you know that I had trouble starting my car, and had to use the gas pedal while cranking, but i wouldn't recommend you do this ever.
Dyno: (2010) 186HP
13.695 quarter (2009)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2010, 01:34 AM

Car: FS:'01 Beetle GLX 1.8t, '05 F150 XLT

its not that the starter turns over. nothing happens. the lights on the dash come on but the starter is not engaging. i have a feeling its the ignition switch.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:21 AM

Car: 01 Beetle 1.8T APH

Hit the starter with a wrench while a buddy turns the key... If the starter is not engaging, its on a dead spot... a wrench will vibrate it and spin... It works....

You can start it one minute and then the next time you go to crank... nothing.

If the starter is engaging and engine turning, no fuel. Listen for the pump to prime.

Installing a new starter is easy... 2 bolts and a wire or 2.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyum96 View Post
Hit the starter with a wrench while a buddy turns the key... If the starter is not engaging, its on a dead spot... a wrench will vibrate it and spin... It works....

You can start it one minute and then the next time you go to crank... nothing.

If the starter is engaging and engine turning, no fuel. Listen for the pump to prime.

Installing a new starter is easy... 2 bolts and a wire or 2.
I have a 2004 Beetle BGD engine code. It was about 95 degrees yesterday and I was running errands with it and it would not start up after getting to the third place. The lights (incl. headlights) all worked fine but it wouldn't crank. It jumped up immediately with cables and ran fine for about an hour while I searched for distilled water for the battery at 3 places. The battery checked out good when I removed it and the voltage is good and water level is good. The window is green. Is it possible that the starter has a flat spot or could it be one of the other mentioned problems? There is no CEL or any other light on that would indicate a trouble code or malfunctioning accessory.
Also, is the starter that simple to remove/install on all these cars? I read things about removing the intake and exhaust manifold and supporting it by the oil pan and all sorts of methods. Since there are 10 different transmissions with 10 different engines German "engineering" keeps a world of possibilities open.
I have never heard that the starter needs to be the same as the factory installed one. Do you purchase them from the stealer for $600?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 AM

Car: '03 GLX - lim. ed. Cyan/Purple

THIS SAME THING IS HAPPENING TO ME! I am beyond frustrated with it.

I just pulled my car from a local VW Dealer after leaving it there for 4 days with NO diagnosis. It starts every time for them, but yet when I have it, it'll act up 1x weekly or so.

I have also heard from someone else that banging on the starter will make it go every time, however VW said it wasn't the starter. In my opinion you shouldn't have to bang on anything to get it to work, it should just WORK.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 AM

did anyone ever find a resolution to this problem? Im having the Exact same issue on my 98.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Beetle not starting

I'm having the same issue. Every so often I will turn the key and just hear a click. The lights, stereo, AC, etc all work but the car won't start. I've discovered that if I disconnect the positive cable on the battery for a few seconds and then reconnect, it starts right up and will be fine for several days. Then, bam, it happens again. Seems like a computer issue. Anyone find anything out yet about this issue?
Old 04-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Keep It Real

California, USA
Car: 2000 New Beetle 1.8t (highly modified)
Default http://newbeetle.org/forums/images/editor/menupop.gif

When this happens you should do a back track voltage check, start at the starter with a volt meter and work your way back to the ignition checking for voltage until you find a place where there is no voltage registering.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.