Windshield Washer Fluid Smell - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 10:27 PM

GA, USA
Car: 2005 TDI 5 Speed
Default Windshield Washer Fluid Smell

I have used my windshell washer only a few times since I took delivery on my 2005 Bettle TDI. Each time I use the windshield washer, my wife and I smell the washer fluid. The VW dealer told me this was normal. I do not think you are suppose to smell the washer fluid in the car when you use the windshield washer. If you can smell the fluid, there should be moisture coming in the car also. When I wash the car or it rains and I turn on the fan with no heat or AC, just the fan running the windows fog up so bad you have to pull over and turn on the AC and the rear window defroster to clear up the windows. I think someway moisture from the outside is getting into the car. I always keep the inside air recirculating, and all the dampers should be closed. I also get outside odors in the car when driving around. Anyone have this problem with the wiper fluid smell? The VW Dealer has checked my car twice and says nothing is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Moddin' Lion

Car: '95 E320, '04 986

If recirc is on, you shouldn't get outside air coming in (or if any, not much).

With the recirc off, it pulls outside air into the car - the intake is below the wiper tray, and can get humid air inside by that channel.

-Des

Old 01-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Just because!

Car: Black '03 Turbo S New Beetle

When we got out '03 Turbo S, the washer fluid smell was really strong too. I used it all up, and used some stuff from the auto parts store, and the smell went away.

I personally don't ever use recirc. I like fresh air.

Science flies you to the moon...Religion flies you into buildings
Old 01-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Magically Retarded ™

Car: 2013 Reef Blue Turbo

German washer fluid really stinks. Not like the US stuff. But yes being able to smell it is normal.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

OOOOOOOOOOH! I remember when I got Zoomer and I could smell the fluid. Great stuff really. Smelled like bubbles. Oh how I wish I could get more.

Zoomer also fogs up pretty bad if it is snowy/rainy or just plain wet outside. Not sure why. Even with the vents closed etc. 0_o ... I think I am a humid person. LOL! The AC does work. Use the AC with defrost on at the first hint of fogging. Also, try using "Rain-X Anti-Fog" on the inside of your windows. Works great for a while!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.