how much to replace struts? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM

Car: 1998 New Beetle
Default how much to replace struts?

Do you suggest replacing all four or is it okay to just replace two? I believe it just sounds like the back two. Has anyone done this before? And if so how much did it cost you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Car: 2002 Blk TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prideincolor View Post
Do you suggest replacing all four or is it okay to just replace two? I believe it just sounds like the back two. Has anyone done this before? And if so how much did it cost you?
I would do the 2 struts and the 2 shocks. You can get away w/ just replacing shocks...But you might as well do all of them.
Yes. Did mine in a couple of hours.
$249.95 for a set of Bilstein TC struts and shocks
$49.95 for strut and shock mounts, dust covers, and bump stops
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Car: 03 Red Turbo S, 66 Ford Galaxie

It's ok to replace just the front or just the backs. The rears are very simple, only takes 30 mins to change the rears and you don't need an alignment afterward, although it wouldn't hurt to align the front and rear if it has been a long time.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut_rb View Post
It's ok to replace just the front or just the backs. The rears are very simple, only takes 30 mins to change the rears and you don't need an alignment afterward, although it wouldn't hurt to align the front and rear if it has been a long time.
Have you done just the back before? Do you remember how much it cost? I am not able to do it myself.. no mechanical skills lol. SO I am looking to bring it to a mechanic.. as long as its not to pricey. So I can have them do just the rear? Shocks and Struts? Not sure what it needs. Just makes alot of nose on bumpy roads.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 AM

I have replaced just the fronts, or just the rears on several cars. The rears on the back of the beetle are shocks. They are super simple to replace so I would assume a shop should charge at the MOST 1 hr labor even though it takes 30 mins with the right tools. I would shop around yourself for shocks and then take them to a shop if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. If they charge you more than 1 hr labor, they're crazy and take it somewhere else.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I have replaced just the fronts, or just the rears on several cars. The rears on the back of the beetle are shocks. They are super simple to replace so I would assume a shop should charge at the MOST 1 hr labor even though it takes 30 mins with the right tools. I would shop around yourself for shocks and then take them to a shop if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. If they charge you more than 1 hr labor, they're crazy and take it somewhere else.
Let me get this straight? All I will need to replace in the rear are a pair of shocks and then it wont be so loud any more?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Let me get this straight? All I will need to replace in the rear are a pair of shocks and then it wont be so loud any more?
Assuming the sound is bad shocks, yes
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 AM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

Yep, like he stated above, new shocks will take care of the sound unless the sound is coming from a broke spring, bad shock mounts (which should be replaced when you install new shocks), worn bushings, ect
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoguy View Post
Yep, like he stated above, new shocks will take care of the sound unless the sound is coming from a broke spring, bad shock mounts (which should be replaced when you install new shocks), worn bushings, ect
Hmm on my 02 Dodge neon I had to replace all four struts.. This is my second car and a total different one.. its strange to me that I just have to replace shocks. When I went to monroe a tire and break place they told me I have to replace structs and a long list adding up to over 1000 with tires.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)

What was the long list of items that needed to be replaced? You can easily spend over $1000 on tires alone, depending on what type of tires you're getting. The cheaper sets will run about $280 a set, plus another $100 for stems, mounting, balancing, tire disposable, ect.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoguy View Post
What was the long list of items that needed to be replaced? You can easily spend over $1000 on tires alone, depending on what type of tires you're getting. The cheaper sets will run about $280 a set, plus another $100 for stems, mounting, balancing, tire disposable, ect.
I threw it out. They were definitely over charging me. I replaced the tires for 214 from another guy they wanted 400+ for that alone. They were trying to tell me I had to replace all four struts... um everyone here has already said my car has 2.. So with that being said I am glad I did not do it right then and there. I also called the dealer just to be sure and they also added I only have shocks in the rear. But they want 88 dollars to see if thats the problem.. So needless to say I am between a rock and a hard place. I am going to go to the mechanic I went to to replace the ignition. I wish there was like a beetle store and I could go there. A one stop and shop place.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Car: NB 2000 TDI

Quote:
I threw it out. They were definitely over charging me. I replaced the tires for 214 from another guy they wanted 400+ for that alone. They were trying to tell me I had to replace all four struts... um everyone here has already said my car has 2.. So with that being said I am glad I did not do it right then and there. I also called the dealer just to be sure and they also added I only have shocks in the rear. But they want 88 dollars to see if thats the problem.. So needless to say I am between a rock and a hard place. I am going to go to the mechanic I went to to replace the ignition. I wish there was like a beetle store and I could go there. A one stop and shop place.
Depends on the car, some have frt and rear struts and some have frt struts and rear shocks. Regardless of what the shop calls them you have one at each wheel and you can check them for function by doing a bounce test. go out and bounce each corner of the suspension it should rebound/bounce once and settle very quickly. if it continues to bounce it is bad. As far as noise, bad rubber insulators on the shocks/struts will cause noise. If you cannot do the work yourself take it to a firestone or goodyear and let them do them. You can check Blauparts.com or ECS for competetive quotes for parts and take that with you to the shop.; have them match your pricing. Tehy wil probably install monroe parts that carry a lifetime warranty and work very well.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Take off the wheel, remove 3 bolts and 1 nut.....I can change both in 15 mins with my impact. One of the easiest things on these cars to replace.
Attached Images/Files

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM

IL, USA
Car: Mercedes AMG C55

Since the camber isn't being changed, do you have to have an alignment after front struts?
Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Take off the wheel, remove 3 bolts and 1 nut.....I can change both in 15 mins with my impact. One of the easiest things on these cars to replace.
TOO BAD YOU DONT LIVE IN RI! ID pay you to do mine! lol
Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C55 View Post
Since the camber isn't being changed, do you have to have an alignment after front struts?
I wouldn't change my front struts without doing an alignment, tires are more expensive than an alignment! Although I did change the struts on my Geo with no alignment and ran it for 2 years after that without a problem, but those little donut tires were only $45 a piece too so it wasn't a big concern to me then.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM

IL, USA
Car: Mercedes AMG C55

Quote:
I wouldn't change my front struts without doing an alignment, tires are more expensive than an alignment!
The cost of an alignment is of no concern, my point is since the front struts come out of the part that gets moved in an alignment and that part doesn't get moved or adjusted, is there any reason for an alignment?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:59 PM

Generally, yes, anytime you remove/replace a major part of the suspension, it's a good idea to get an alignment. I'm sure there are arguments to that statement, but it's better to do it and not need it than not do it and shoulda woulda coulda and get premature tire wear. Chances are that if you are to the point that you need new struts, most likely due for an alignment anyways. Obviously as parts wear, the geometry changes as well. And with strut replacement, you would want to replace the strut mounts as well. Look at the top nut on your strut underneath the "raintray" or cowl cover (whichever you want to call it). There is more than likely a space between the top and the frame of the car (see pic). Thats how much wear is in the mounts. So I would probably change the struts and get an alignment all at the same time.
Attached Images/Files

Old 03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,

Car: 2002 Turbo S - JYD, 2003 Turbo S - Peppy Pepper
Default Are you sure it is?

Hello,

Are you sure it is the shocks in the rear making the noise?

It could be many things, like a lose exhaust system. etc.

How is the ride? When you hit small bumps does the car feel like its hitting the ground with no rise back up? Is there alot of grease looking stuff around the shocks? These would be signs that the shock is leaking or broken.

Can you change your tire on this car? The reason I ask is because as stated above the rears are SOOOO easy. All you do is take off your rim and tire toghether after you jack the car up of course. Take off 3 bolts and replace. Anyone with some mechanical knowledge can do the rears. The Fronts NOT so easy.

You have gotten alot of great advice so far. If you cant do it and you want to pay someone to do it. Check your local craigslist posting for mechanic doing side work in your area. Be carefull, watch the whole repair of the car. Some people claim to be what they are not. But again its a simple repair just observe the work.

Next if you have the money pay to have them all done as the ride will be alot better.

GOOD LUCK
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The NEW Ringo View Post
Hello,

Are you sure it is the shocks in the rear making the noise?

It could be many things, like a lose exhaust system. etc.

How is the ride? When you hit small bumps does the car feel like its hitting the ground with no rise back up? Is there alot of grease looking stuff around the shocks? These would be signs that the shock is leaking or broken.

Can you change your tire on this car? The reason I ask is because as stated above the rears are SOOOO easy. All you do is take off your rim and tire toghether after you jack the car up of course. Take off 3 bolts and replace. Anyone with some mechanical knowledge can do the rears. The Fronts NOT so easy.

You have gotten alot of great advice so far. If you cant do it and you want to pay someone to do it. Check your local craigslist posting for mechanic doing side work in your area. Be carefull, watch the whole repair of the car. Some people claim to be what they are not. But again its a simple repair just observe the work.

Next if you have the money pay to have them all done as the ride will be alot better.

GOOD LUCK
Thank you everyone! Especially this person! He was indeed right about the exhaust being loose and they repaired it. I do still want to do the shocks though. Do you think replacing the rear shocks and only the rear shocks is a good idea? If anyone has done it do you have a price quote so I can compare it to the mechanic? I would do it myself but I would just feel 100% better if I paid them to do it. THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.