Door Latch Replacement Question - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 AM

Car: 2003 GLS TDI
Default Door Latch Replacement Question

I am in the process of replacing my door latch in my 2002 Beetle. I had the classic problem where the microswitch was bad causing the car not to know when the door was closed. I ended up buying a whole new door latch. My question is how to attach the door latch to the carrier panel. When I took the door apart I didn't see anything holding the latch to the carrier. I don't know if whatever was holding it fell off or what. I also bought a new latch bracket as my old one was cracked. So what do you use to attach the bracket to the carrier? I went to my local VW dealership and got some rivets but now I am thinking they are not the correct thing to use. I have looked at many a thread on the door lock issue but no one seems to really address reattaching the bracket to the carrier. Most of the threads say to drill out the old rivets or whatever is holding the bracket to the carrier but then they never explain how they reattach it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 05:05 AM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

The latch is attached to the middle panel, then fed into where it goes into the door. I hope these images help. I took them when I did mine the first time around.

Television is more interesting than people. If it were not, we would have people standing in the corners of our rooms. If parents would spend less time worrying about what their kids watch on TV and more time worrying about what's going on in their kids' lives, this world would be a much better place.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Send Money

Car: 2008 Scion xB 5-speed manual in Nautical Blue Metallic, 1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

How To: Door panel, window regulator and door latch removal
Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 AM

Car: 2003 GLS TDI

I figured it out. Since I bought a new bracket, I had to pound the pin through the hole. The pins come attached to the bracket and I had not seen a picture of one that looked like it. It wasn't obvious to me what to do. When I found one of the pins that you punch out when you take it off, I got to thinking that maybe that pin was on the new part already. The door is all back together now. I have had my door torn apart for about 3 weeks. Part of that time was spent waiting on parts to arrive but alot of it was trying to figure out how to disassemble the door. This project was way more complicated than I ever thought it would be, even with all the how to articles. Thanks for everyone's help and to all the people that posted how to articles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.