VW Beetle Forum banner

Good info on air conditioner problems

42K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Look@Les 
#1 ·
I am still dealing with air conditioner problems with my daughter's new beetle and it over 100 degrees outside. I have found two articles that I think are worth sharing with others that are also having air conditioner problems.

(1)No Compressor Operation in Volkswagen New Beetle

(2)http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/A4_Air_Conditioning_Troubleshooting_Rev_7.pdf

(3)From my experiences with my daughters beetle, only take your beetle to a certified mechanic that knows Volkswagen New Beetles/Audi's. There are enough unique things about these cars that some mechanics can actually create new problems.

#3 · (Edited)
Most of the mechanics that are not familiar with Volkswagen cars do not know about the fuses that control the compressor. You can spend a lot of time trying to figure out why the compressor comes on erratically or will not come on at all and you are getting hot air. The mechanic may conclude that the "compressor is bad" when it is just this fuse box. My fuse box looked good, but when I shook the fuse in the picture, the compressor came on!

Should check here first!

#6 ·
They're a spammer. Reported them twice now.

#8 ·
No clue. They usually have links in their signatures so I guess its to get traffic to those linked sites. All I know is I'm getting fed up with it.

#11 ·
I am still dealing with air conditioner problems with my daughter's new beetle and it over 100 degrees outside. I have found two articles that I think are worth sharing with others that are also having air conditioner problems.

(1)No Compressor Operation in Volkswagen New Beetle

(2)http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/A4_Air_Conditioning_Troubleshooting_Rev_7.pdf

(3)From my experiences with my daughters beetle, only take your beetle to a certified mechanic that knows Volkswagen New Beetles/Audi's. There are enough unique things about these cars that some mechanics can actually create new problems.
Hello. Can I ask you a question. First, my ac was not getting really cold, only mildly cool. So i took my Beetle for regas. The auto sparky pulled 400-450g gas. I was given 500g of gas into my system. And instantly my ac was blowing hot air.
Air conditioning compressor clutch connector I tested the 2 pins and got 9.1v. Is this too much gas and is the cause of why my Clutch is not engaging.

thank you in advance.

#13 ·
Have to add...If getting cool-ish and systems all seems like running well. Might be your blend doors. My mechanic friend gave up diagnostics one day and said compressor. I only have ‘bought it’ possible, but I had screwed up first one and got a new one from junkyard that was newer model, clean and shiny, holding compression and I didn’t want to buy a new new one yet. I found info on similar age/models where the blend doors were compromised. Symptoms of this are foam blowing through the vents, which I didn’t have since prob stopped working well before I owned it. For whatever reason VW used foam to seal up holes on these doors that direct cold and hot from unit and areas of direction from defrost/face/foot it rots away like headliners decompose...I have pictures might explain better!! 2nd pic is the hole I cut into my dash after removing radio and all housing possible w/o taking whole dash off. Then I used a hot knife tool to melt/cut through the abs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.