Beetle overheating - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Beetle overheating

I have a '99 Beetle 2.0. that continues to over heat despite all attempts to fix it. The original problem is that the water pump broke. I installed a new one this morning, and its still overheating. I have replaced the following:

Water pump
Thermostat
Cooling fan assembly (Low speed didn't work on the 12" fan)
Radiator fan switch

I can jumper the radiator fan switch, and make the fans run in low or high, but they won't run on their own. Also, the heater no longer blows hot air after refilling the system with coolant.

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

I have posted up the correct Bentley diagnostics for the cooling system in this thread.
Overheating problem
You need to review them, and verify what you have done is correct.

If you have correctly jumped over the thermal switch, and the fan runs, even though you have replaced it, it is bad. Again review the procedure for doing this in the Bentlet diagnostics. OR the sensor is not reading correctly, quite possibly by the flow of coolant not being right, as indicated by the second part of your post, having no hot air There is also a recent thread in this regard.. Their is air in the system that needs to be purged (burped) out. This is not the Bentley method, that is done by pressurizing the system with an external device, but many Orgers have posted up ways to do this. Quite possibly you did not get the system fully drained. You should measure what is going in to know that it is full, if the system was completely drained.

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 08-28-2011 at 08:19 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Car: 2004 NB Turbo S

Did you burp all the air out of the coolant passages? If you don't, it will overheat without the fans turning on.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 PM

Ok, heres where I'm at now. The car is still getting too hot, and the fans will not kick on when they should.

When I open the radiator drain, it will blow air for a couple of seconds, then hot water runs out and the fans will kick on and run for a bit. After closing the drain plug, refilling the reservoir (with the water I just drained), and letting it cool down for a bit, the process repeats itself.

The heater works now, seems it had air in it.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac View Post
Ok, heres where I'm at now. The car is still getting too hot, and the fans will not kick on when they should.

When I open the radiator drain, it will blow air for a couple of seconds, then hot water runs out and the fans will kick on and run for a bit. After closing the drain plug, refilling the reservoir (with the water I just drained), and letting it cool down for a bit, the process repeats itself.

The heater works now, seems it had air in it.
So apparently I was right about that being the cause of the thermo-switch not kicking the fans on or you having heat, but you probably still don't have all the air out of the system, hence the recurrence. Search around the threads until you find the DIY method being used by other Orgers to purge the system of air.

If I can find it, I'll post up the correct method as outlined in the Bentley.

M.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Member Sponsor

Coolant Drain & Fill Procedure per the Bnetley Repair Manual

You can find more information on the VAS 6096 Charging Unit here
http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/...tml#post165098
and the unit, available from Snap-On here
http://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDet...?itemid=120013

Pay particular attention to starting up the engine with the heat and a/c off. Notice the rpm to run it at and the duration, and then continue to let it idle until fans cut in. Check level and top as necessary. The way I'm reading this, this should be independent of using the VAS 6096 Charging Unit

Let us know how you fare.

MORAV
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 08-29-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 AM

Ok, looks like I got it fixed. Just sitting at idle, the fans kick on and run at low speed for 10-15 secs, then cut off for around a minute. No overheat warnings, and the coolant seems stable with the expansion valve off the tank.

Took it out and drove it 12-15 miles in the Oklahoma sun this afternoon, ran fine on the highway at 70 mph. Had to have been air in the radiator that was trapped, preventing the fans from running.

Thanks all for the help.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:10 AM
Member Sponsor

Glad you got 'er up and running. Feel certain it was air in the system that has now worked it's way out. Did you have to top it off again, or have you checked it?
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Default FYI Coolant cap. for 06 2.5 Beetle 9.5L/10qt

Just fyi. I could not find teh capacity in my OEM manual. Had to go to the mountain and ask the local VW dealer service dept. Ha he didn't know either. Their method is flush and fill with one gallon. Pushed it and he finally found it, 9.5L/10 qt. Which for my model makes a flush + 1 gallon 60/40. Manual says 50/50 or 60/40 coolant/H20.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM

Yep, when I did my flush and fill I had to run the car for 45 mins with the top of the reservoir off to allow all the bubbles to come to the top of the system. Occasionally I would squeeze on on the upper or lower hose to burp the system. Test drove and then topped it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.