Battery Dead Car won't unlock - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Question Battery Dead Car won't unlock

My wifes winter car 2004 beetle the battery went dead and we cant unlock the door. Key fob nor any key work in the switch or key hole drivers door. No key hole passenger door the emblem on the trunk doesn't move to show a hidden key hole and hood is closed Does anyone have any suggestions Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Member Sponsor

Car: '05 Vert "Dark Flint Limited Edition"

Yes, just a minute, just gave someone else this same solution. But why aren't the keys working manually? That is simply mechanical, nothing electronic about it.

Here's a way, read thru the thread and make sure it fits your problem, but I think it does.
HELP!!!! Doors wont open from inside or out!

If you have questions, send the poster (beetlejuice1) a p/m. Many Orger's get their p/m's on their phones.

MORAV
'01 Corvette Convertible, Magnetic Red, Light Oak Top, Light Oak Leather Interior
'96 Suburban LT 2500, 454BB, Summit White, Neutral Leather Interior
'95 Camaro Z28 Convertible, Polo Green, Black Top, Tan Leather Interior

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 09-27-2011 at 02:41 PM..
Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Default door unlock battery dead

Vw said the driver door key turned a microswitch that unlocked the door electrically and there was no mechanical link to the locking mechanism they say to squeeze my arm up between the fans and unlock hood with my finger Just haven't been able to do that to close to the ground no hoist etc will bring a floor jack from work and try that My arm my be too big any other sugg Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppamac70 View Post
Vw said the driver door key turned a microswitch that unlocked the door electrically and there was no mechanical link to the locking mechanism they say to squeeze my arm up between the fans and unlock hood with my finger Just haven't been able to do that to close to the ground no hoist etc will bring a floor jack from work and try that My arm my be too big any other sugg Thanks
Yes, your right about the microswitch, I believe. Dumb 'ole me! VW I believe the solution is in the post that I gave you the link to in my post above. Left click on the underlined link.Note that is the passenger door, it may be different on the driver's door, but no matter, when you're in, your in. You just need to get the hood open to install a new battery.

MORAV
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Car: 2002 GLS 2.0L auto
Thumbs up

Quote:
Vw said ... to squeeze my arm up between the fans and unlock hood with my finge...
I was also curious about that one though it never happened to me. Now I know how to. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM

you can always open the door by turning the key just turn it further then te light resistance you feel
other wise open your trunk with the key
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice1 View Post
you can always open the door by turning the key just turn it further then te light resistance you feel
other wise open your trunk with the key
OPer says he can't access the rear, it's an '04, don't know if NB or NBC, so it may not have one. VW says the doors can't be opened as you describe, as the locks are microswitch only. Turning the key further, as you say, puts the windows up or down in mine. But I'm all over what you posted in the other thread.

Edit: Perhaps you have manual windows?

M.

Last edited by MyOtherRidesAVette; 09-28-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Old 09-28-2011, 02:40 AM

Default dead battery

My wifes 04 is a new beetle the 10 is a convertible both are the bright yellow There is no key hole on the trunck or hood Can't rotate or m slide the emblem to get one I will check out the thread you sent me Does that open a locked door Thanks Dave
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 AM

Car: 2002 GLS 2.0L auto

Quote:
My wifes 04 is a new beetle the 10 is a convertible both are the bright yellow There is no key hole on the trunck or hood Can't rotate or m slide the emblem to get one I will check out the thread you sent me Does that open a locked door Thanks Dave
Mine 2002 is the same, no physical cylinder in the trunk! Also I've taken the door apart once. There are just two microswitches so it is possible to open the door with a screwdriver (when battery is alive) while cylinder is removed. No further movement is possible unless one wants to break something.

beetlejuice1 what are you driving that does that?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 AM

Default Car now unlocked

I jacked the car up and reached up between the fans and pushed the hood opener After the hood was open I boosted the car with the booster on the keys unlocked the car no problem I think I could have hooked the booster to the starter and had the key work as well. I am going to run 2 wires down from the battery and tye them up underneath then I can hook up a trickle charger to them if this ever happens again Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
battery , lock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.