Ticking noise... - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Unhappy Ticking noise...

Hi,
I know that I have read nearly all of the clicking/ticking noise threads on this website, but none really seemed to be the same issue that I am having.
I have a 2000 volkswagen new beetle, 4cyl 2.0L. it has 100,101 miles on it.
Sometimes when I'm driving, this ticking/clicking noise will appear. It sounds like its coming from the driver side of the vehicle. When I start to go faster, the noise also ticks faster. I can hear the noise in park, drive, neutral, every gear. My trans is automatic.
I can hear the ticking from the outside of the car as well. What is this noise and why would it only happen occasionally when driving?
If its relevant, I live in washington and it has been below freezing every night for the past couple of weeks. When I first had my car serviced, they recommended that we change the serpintine belt soon, so I bought one but haven't had it installed yet. Could this be part of the issue?
this is my first car and I just bought it in august. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Off the top of my head, yes it could be the serpentine belt tensioner making that noise; when was the last time the timing belt was changed?.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Hi,
I know that I have read nearly all of the clicking/ticking noise threads on this website, but none really seemed to be the same issue that I am having.
I have a 2000 volkswagen new beetle, 4cyl 2.0L. it has 100,101 miles on it.
Sometimes when I'm driving, this ticking/clicking noise will appear. It sounds like its coming from the driver side of the vehicle. When I start to go faster, the noise also ticks faster. I can hear the noise in park, drive, neutral, every gear. My trans is automatic.
I can hear the ticking from the outside of the car as well. What is this noise and why would it only happen occasionally when driving?
If its relevant, I live in washington and it has been below freezing every night for the past couple of weeks. When I first had my car serviced, they recommended that we change the serpintine belt soon, so I bought one but haven't had it installed yet. Could this be part of the issue?
this is my first car and I just bought it in august. Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't be worried about the Accessory/Serpentine Belt as much as I would be worried about the Timing Belt service.
If you are over 100K miles and you haven't had that service performed you are sitting on a virtual time bomb. If the timing belt fails your pistons and valves will have a party and make fireworks which will destroy your engine. Well at least the top part and more than likely will destroy or dent a piston or two as well. Either way you are looking at thousands of dollar to repair vs. 550 to 1100 Dollars now.
The timing belt service usually includes the Timing belt, the accessory belt, the water pump, pulley and tensioner, cam seals if needed and a thermostat. Including parts and labor the timing belt service will cost you about 550 to 1100 dollars depending where you take it to. If you are handy you can probably do the service yourself in about 3 to 4 hours and the parts are only about $134.xx and change:
Vw Beetle Timing Belt - Vw Beetle Timing Belt Kit

Not sure what the ticking noises are but the water pump that came from the factory had plastic impellars which were known to break up and destroy cooling systems. The new kits will get you a water pump with metal impellars for more durabilty. This timing belt service should be performed every 75k - 80k miles. So if yours hasn't been done than it is way overdue.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

I'd start with something easy...how is your oil level?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post

Not sure what the ticking noises are but the water pump that came from the factory had plastic impellars which were known to break up and destroy cooling systems. The new kits will get you a water pump with metal impellars for more durabilty. This timing belt service should be performed every 75k - 80k miles. So if yours hasn't been done than it is way overdue.
I did get a water pump replaced recently with the metal one. That caused me a whole different issue.
I'm not sure if my timing belt has ever been replaced.
I just got my oil changed and I'm not due for one yet and definitely not leaking... so I will check that and the serpentine belt first, I guess...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I did get a water pump replaced recently with the metal one. That caused me a whole different issue.
I'm not sure if my timing belt has ever been replaced.
I just got my oil changed and I'm not due for one yet and definitely not leaking... so I will check that and the serpentine belt first, I guess...
WOW, really strange that they replaced the water pump and not the timing belt at the same time. Are you sure they didn't?
Those two items usually go hand in hand.

Is the ticking a metal type ticking or something like when a fan is hitting something? It's is difficult to imagine the actual sound. I hope you find it soon! And Good Luck with your beetle. They are nice cars but can also drive you bonkers.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
WOW, really strange that they replaced the water pump and not the timing belt at the same time. Are you sure they didn't?
Those two items usually go hand in hand.

Is the ticking a metal type ticking or something like when a fan is hitting something? It's is difficult to imagine the actual sound. I hope you find it soon! And Good Luck with your beetle. They are nice cars but can also drive you bonkers.
You are so right!! I checked with my dad and he said I did get the water pump and timing belt replaced... my bad! Great now I have no idea what else it could be... hmm. Thanj you!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
You are so right!! I checked with my dad and he said I did get the water pump and timing belt replaced... my bad! Great now I have no idea what else it could be... hmm. Thanj you!
COOL, something less to worry about. Always a good thing.

Are you sure someone hasn't put a couple of playing cards in your wheel spokes?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:55 AM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

I read somewhere before that hydraulic lifters cause this noise. My bug - 2003.5 1.8T - has been doing this since the day I got it. And yes, the ticking gets faster when I accelerate or, when the engine goes faster. I test it out by putting car in neutral and slowly pressing the gas pedal. Perhaps that is what it is??
Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalputty View Post
I read somewhere before that hydraulic lifters cause this noise. My bug - 2003.5 1.8T - has been doing this since the day I got it. And yes, the ticking gets faster when I accelerate or, when the engine goes faster. I test it out by putting car in neutral and slowly pressing the gas pedal. Perhaps that is what it is??
Our Beetle's have Dual overhead cam design engines which don't have hydraulic lifters or pushrods. They have followers which is close to a lifter and they can stick at times especially on the 2.0l engine. What oil do you use in your cars? You should be using a Synthetic in either 2.0 or the 1.8. Also use a VW 502 or 505 spec oil. Those engines are picky when it comes to what you put in them. I would recommend Mobil one 0W40 or Castrol Edge 5W40 along with a Quality oil filter.
Also before your next oil change I would recommend pouring about half a can of Seafoam Sea Foam | Products
into your crank case (Oil) and pour the other half into your gas tank. Run it for a week or 300-500 miles, then change the oil. It will clean out a lot of gunk that has built up in your engine.

I think it is worth a try.

@digitalputty: Make sure to use "premium" gasoline in your 1.8T motor. Minimum requirement is 91 Octane RON/MON method. That Turbo requires it. You can get away with lower octane gas in a pinch
since the knocksensors will signal the ECU that your are running crappy gas and retard the timing and enrichen your fuel mixture. Leading to reduced performance and gas mileage.
But don't make a habit of it or you will have unnecessary engine wear.

Last edited by IndyTom; 12-16-2011 at 04:45 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

My 1.8T also has a ticking. Its my first 1.8T but I have read that some ticking is not unusual in these. I've run premium 93 since day one and running the proper oil and its all nice and full. Going to be looking into a few other things next week so I may try to track down the noise but its been doing it since day one that I got it.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
My 1.8T also has a ticking. Its my first 1.8T but I have read that some ticking is not unusual in these. I've run premium 93 since day one and running the proper oil and its all nice and full. Going to be looking into a few other things next week so I may try to track down the noise but its been doing it since day one that I got it.
I sometimes was told that the fuel injectors produce some sort of ticking noise. I have a 2000 1.8 and mine doesn't tick at least not yet or perhaps it is suppose to tick and isn't.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo S

My 1.8T does make this ticking sound too, but only when idling. I've also read some threads at vwvortex mentioning it's from the fuel injector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clicking , ticking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.