Changing Trunk (Hatch) Struts? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Thumbs down Changing Trunk (Hatch) Struts?

Are there any directions here on how to change the hatch struts on a Beetle? My hatch will no longer stay up, and when I pop the trunk latch (from the driver's seat)-- if I don't race to get back there to open it, it locks again.
The part to order is 1C0827550E -- but the question is:
how do they get put on?

Thanks - Sheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Car: 2009 NBC Harvest Moon
Arrow Replacing Hatch Strut

Does this help....
Attached Images/Files

I haven't seen an adult since I was a kid!
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

Sounds easy enough... anyone done this?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:18 PM

Car: 2009 NBC Harvest Moon

Yes, but not on a Beetle as yet.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcH View Post
Sounds easy enough... anyone done this?
Did it last weekend, mentioned it in the "what did you do for your beetle today" thread in the New Beetle Experience sub-forum.

It is very very easy.

Just take a small flat head screwdriver and pull back the plastic tab holding the strut on to the ball and pull outwards.

BUT!

MAKE SURE YOU SUPPORT THE HATCH PRIOR TO REMOVING!

It's very very heavy, even with the struts not able to hold it up, they still hold a lot of the weight. Even removing one of them will cause the hatch to come down very fast and very hard, if your head is there is will hurt very much.

In my case being tall enough I just put my head under there and held the weight that way. Otherwise a broom handle positioned correctly would work. Or a handy helper person.

When I attached them, I found that with the added boost the second was a little harder to get on. Attaching at the bottom then pulling the hatch down to the right height was the solution.

You will LOVE it once done, such an easy fix for a major improvement in quality of life. The hatch doesn't just stay up now, after lifting it a foot it will open the rest of the way on its own.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 AM

I was an easy fix. I ordered the struts from Napa auto parts, had them arrive the next day, and in about 10 minutes had the new struts on. You're right, janitz, the hatch is heavy, and even with one strut off, won't stay up on its own.
And best of all - popping the trunk from inside doesn't require me to race to the back to catch it before it locks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.