Key fob won't unlock??? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP
Default Key fob won't unlock???

I'm having an issue with my wifes 07 NB key fob. It will lock the doors and open the hatch but will not unlock the car. I tried my remote and it works just fine. I noticed that the light on her fob isn't flashing red when the buttons are pressed like mine either. Could it just be that it needs a new battery? She tried doing the reset procedure explained in the owners manual with no luck...

Any help would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove

Car: 2001 Batik Blue 2.0 GLS 5spd

sounds like it needs a battery to me
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Car: 2001 gls - 2000 gl

Sounds like the fob is worn out I bet you need a new one though I do suggest trying a battery first, battery is cheaper. My fob works but my wife dr door wont lock but sets the alarm she needs a lock assembly. If you do need a new fob do note they have codes I think there are nine different ones if you buy one from the internet make sure the code is the same or you will have a fancy paper weight. You can find the code on the inside of the fob ex. [HLO 1JO 959 753 F] all the characters have to match ex. [HLO 1JO 959 753 A] will not work. It sounds like you know the reset for this already. So if you do need a fob and cannot make the new one work I can help you get it set up? I would suggest if the fob is bad buy one from the dealer this way you will be sure itís correct and will work, a used fob is never good idea. Hope this helps you.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Probably the switch on the board. You can buy the switch at either radioshack or digikey, mouser somewhere like that for some cents but it requires some soldering skill to replace.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I don't care.....

Car: Slammed.

Battery.

Easy to do. Just pull the key apart from each end the pry the bottom piece (with the buttons) open and replace the battery. 2 minute job, max.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM

Car: 1999 Silver New Beetle GLX 1.8T 5 speed ,2007 New Beetle 2.5L 5 speed Harvest Moon RIP

I'm thinking its the battery as well. Just seems odd that it will lock the car and open the hatch but wont unlock. I'm going to pick up a battery today and give it a shot and go from there. For now I just swapped fobs with the wife so she can get in and out easily.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:26 PM

I think the new battery did the trick...the red light flashes at least. I'll know for sure after work tonight when I can test it out. My wife has it at work right now...
Old 02-28-2012, 01:55 AM

Car: 2001 GLX (AWV)

Our 01 GLX recently started having door lock problems. The key fob seems to work as the alarm is set but the doors will not lock or unlock remotely. Both doors failed at the same time, apparently, which seems odd. Is there a relay for the door locks or am I looking at replacing both door lock actuators? Is there a DIY somewhere for doing that?
b

Last edited by beetlejuice; 02-28-2012 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: question
Old 02-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice View Post
Our 01 GLX recently started having door lock problems. The key fob seems to work as the alarm is set but the doors will not lock or unlock remotely. Both doors failed at the same time, apparently, which seems odd. Is there a relay for the door locks or am I looking at replacing both door lock actuators? Is there a DIY somewhere for doing that?
b
Not really sure if there is a relay. Sounds like a possible problem with the door lock module or even the microswitch. Make sure your battery is fresh before trying anything else. My wifes would lock and operate the hatch but wouldn't unlock until I replaced the battery. Now all is good and everything works as it should.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Replaced the key fob battery to no avail. I guess both actuators must have failed. I do hear a slight click, like a relay working, behind the dash on the drivers side when I try to use the door lock switch on the door.
Is there a DIY thread on the actuator replacement?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Did you reprogram the Keyfob after replacing the batteries?

Do you just have one Keyfob or two?

I couldn't get my 2nd Keyfob to manually program. I used my Vag com VCDS lite to program my second fob. Now I finally got two.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:14 PM

The key fob is not the problem. It is either the door lock actuators or a relay that controls them. Does anyone know if there is a relay in that circuit?
After looking around a bit I think my problem may be the "comfort control module" because the alarm also goes off intermittantly for no reason. The online parts dealers I had the time to check with did not know what I was talking about. Does anyone know the part number for this item and whether it is a dealer-only part?
Thanks,
b

Last edited by beetlejuice; 03-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Here are the Relay lay outs per Bentley:

Relay Panels 1998-5/2003 VW New Beetle as Per Bentley

Lower Relay Panel:

Position 1 - Dual Horn Relay - Relay number - 53
Position 2 - Load reduction Relay - NOs - 213,100 or 18
Position 3 - open
Position 4 - Fuel Pump Relay - No 409
Position V - Wiper Washer intermittent - no 377
Position VI - Wiper washer 377

Fuses on lower Relay panel:
A - Fuse for power windows (Red connector)
B - Open
C - Fuse for heated seats

Relays on Upper (auxillary) 13 position relay panel:

Position 1 - Fog light Relay - 381
Position 2 - Rear lid remote unlock motor - 79
Position 3 - Anti Theft Starter lock Relay - 185
Position 4 - open
Position 5 - open
Position 6 - Radio speaker/telephone change over relay

second row
Position 7 - Open
Position 8 - Daytime running light changeover relay - 173 or 53
Position 9 - Open
Position 10- Glow plug relay (Tdi only) - 180
Position 11- Park/Neutral position Relay - 175
Position 12- Power supply (terminal 30b,B+) relay - 109,126
Position 13- Coolant fan control relay -53

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The key fob is not the problem. It is either the door lock actuators or a relay that controls them. Does anyone know if there is a relay in that circuit?
After looking around a bit I think my problem may be the "comfort control module" because the alarm also goes off intermittantly for no reason. The online parts dealers I had the time to check with did not know what I was talking about. Does anyone know the part number for this item and whether it is a dealer-only part?
Thanks,
b
No Relay for the Door Locks. It could be your in door lock switch.

Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!! - TDIClub Forums

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=666727

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461
Old 03-13-2012, 02:09 AM

Thank you, IndyTom.
Very helpful threads, especially the last one. I'll bet we have the cracked solder problem. My petite wife slams car doors like an angry longshoreman.
b
Old 03-13-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Thank you, IndyTom.
Very helpful threads, especially the last one. I'll bet we have the cracked solder problem. My petite wife slams car doors like an angry longshoreman.
b
LOL The smaller they are the harder they hit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.