Cabin air filter...change it....look what I had. - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Car: 99 GLS
Default Cabin air filter...change it....look what I had.

First off BIG THANKS to the picture and detailed instructions I found on this site by salsa_man. Its very easy to do, the only problem I had was my own when I slipped with a screw driver and scratched the cover bad, that I was taken off first. Anyway on my 99, this is what I found at 57,000 miles. Click the link to see sticks and leaves in a big wad ontop of the filter. It was so bad, the foam dash seals and insulation was being sucked down into it from the fan below. I bought the filter from the dealer since it was the same price as parts stores.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL456.../401520563.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 AM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Miles don't always matter. That's 13 years on that filter if its original. Not surprised to see all that!
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 03-12-2012, 03:05 AM
VDub Noob

Car: 2002 VW New Beetle Turbo S

Good lord oh beetle, you gotta tree growing in there with a village of aboriginees lol

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.com App

2002 VDub New Beetle Turbo S- BONE STOCK
1997 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer- Need I say more? It's a FORD
2003 Nissan 350z 6spd- 4.2L Bi-Turbo swap, my street car
Old 03-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

I spent a good part of one afternoon tearing my dash apart to change the cabin filter. It was pretty clean, for a 10 year old car, and I was surprised.

Yesterday, I was looking at the paperwork that came with my NB, service records and such, and saw that the filter was replaced shorty before I bought it. So, no wonder it was pretty clean. I just wish I had just read that service page BEFORE I did it.....
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 AM

Car: '99 NB 1.8t (APH) / '09 GLi 2.0T (TSI)

That's about how mine looked... though I had a mouse nesting in mine during a deployment ..

Sent from my DROID X2
Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Dubbed Spiderman

Car: 98 2.0 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Miles don't always matter. That's 13 years on that filter if its original. Not surprised to see all that!
Agreed. Mine pretty much looked like that too and I don't know if it had been changed ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnyed View Post
I spent a good part of one afternoon tearing my dash apart to change the cabin filter. It was pretty clean, for a 10 year old car, and I was surprised.

Yesterday, I was looking at the paperwork that came with my NB, service records and such, and saw that the filter was replaced shorty before I bought it. So, no wonder it was pretty clean. I just wish I had just read that service page BEFORE I did it.....
And it took you a while to get the guts to do it too. Oh well. Now you are pro at doing it for the next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.