Help! Red Coolant light flashing red all the time - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM

Default Help! Red Coolant light flashing red all the time

got to drive really far tomorrow and my 2000 2.0 beetle is going crazy.

had small problems with coolant light coming on, took it to mechanic i bought the car off and he said its probably a hole in radiator... since then my car has been consuming a LOT of water, thought it might be air bubbles at first though now ive put in about 30litres of water... surely cant be air bubbles..

the coolant light keeps coming on flashing red.. sometimes it then goes off. sometimes it doesnt. sometimes when i check it the water is miraculously still high..sometimes its empty. sometimes its really hot and bubbles up.

when driving tomorrow how safe is it to ignore the red coolant light? driving up here a 4 hour journey took 7 hours because i kept stoping to look at it at service station to look. really dont want a repeat of that nightmare if it can be avoided

i also have an engine management light which is orange? which im told could mean i have an electrical fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 04:23 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Get to an autozone or the like and get the car scanned for codes. That orange light is likely your check engine light.

Unless you can be certain the car isn't overheating, I'd be nervous about driving that far. Are you noticing any leaks?
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM

Car: 2002 New Beetle Turbo S

It's possible that he/she has a leaky expansion tank. Maybe a good idea to replace the entire unit.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Do you see any visible leaks? The radiators on these cars very rarely go bad. It is more than likely the coolant flange or the water pump.

Have you inspected to car to see where the leak is coming from?? How long ago was the timing belt/water pump changed?

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ange/ES279317/
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM
~Feel the Sting~

Car: 2011 Ford Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by letournoi View Post
got to drive really far tomorrow and my 2000 2.0 beetle is going crazy.

had small problems with coolant light coming on, took it to mechanic i bought the car off and he said its probably a hole in radiator... since then my car has been consuming a LOT of water, thought it might be air bubbles at first though now ive put in about 30litres of water... surely cant be air bubbles..

the coolant light keeps coming on flashing red.. sometimes it then goes off. sometimes it doesnt. sometimes when i check it the water is miraculously still high..sometimes its empty. sometimes its really hot and bubbles up.

when driving tomorrow how safe is it to ignore the red coolant light? driving up here a 4 hour journey took 7 hours because i kept stoping to look at it at service station to look. really dont want a repeat of that nightmare if it can be avoided

i also have an engine management light which is orange? which im told could mean i have an electrical fault.
I had that a LONG time ago, and it was a faulty thermostat. Cheap part, expensive labor unless you do it yourself. The thermostat on the VW doesn't go in an easy place like on an old Honda.

It's located at the lower end of the hose on the bottom end of the engine block. Good times
Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 AM

Car: 2000 Beetle GLX

Should have it pressure tested, what they do is attach a connector to where you add coolent, that connector is part of a pump and gauge, pump it up full of pressure and it should hiss out air or coolant where your problem should be, least the mechanic should know this, look at the gauge and see if pressure drops, if pressure doesnt drop, then your coolent is sealed and it's probley just burping out air, but from what I read, if you put in that much water, then there could be a small leak that only can be seen when there is a high amount of pressure(when engine is hot), so pressure testing it should reveal your leak, hope this helps
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanrude View Post
I had that a LONG time ago, and it was a faulty thermostat. Cheap part, expensive labor unless you do it yourself. The thermostat on the VW doesn't go in an easy place like on an old Honda.

It's located at the lower end of the hose on the bottom end of the engine block. Good times
It's only difficult to replace on the 1.8 since you have to remove the alternator to get to the Thermostat housing. Okay, some have done it with just removing some bolts and connecters on the alternator and then squirm their way in via some swivel joints and making sure they have someone with small hands to reach in there. It isn't a fun job for sure and most places charge you 150 -200 Dollars to change the thermostat on a 1.8 which is crazy. I rather change it myself and go out and have a nice steak afterwards and still have money left over.

That said, on the 2.0 cars it takes about 15 minutes or less to change the thermostat. Easy access and virtually painless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.