Oil pressure light comes on and off randomly! Help? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2012, 03:24 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Exclamation Oil pressure light comes on and off randomly! Help?

I'm new here, and I have had some strange issues with my poor little 2001 VW bug. He doesn't have a turbo, was kept in great condition, has under 95K miles on him, and has prompt repair work done. Now, the issue I'm having is that he was throwing a code for the O2 filter or something like that, which, honestly, didn't seem like a big deal and was told it wasn't. Now, however, on Friday the "check oil pressure" light came on for a little bit, I took him to get the oil changed, since he was due for it anyway, and it was super brown. He was fine until today, and the oil light came on again. Checked his oil, its fine and clear. HOWEVER. Part of the handle of the dipstick is literally just cracking apart. Could some of the little bits have fallen in? For reference, the oil light goes on and off randomly. It comes on when I slow down, and goes off when I accelerate for the most part. There are no noises, he isn't over heating, no issues in handling, no ticking, nothing. However, the temp gauge does seem to come on when the oil light does, but not always. I'm wondering if its sludge/random bits stuck somewhere? Is it safe to drive to the dealer, which is 15 min away? What could possibly be the cause of this?

I should reiterate that this car is a non-turbo, made is 2001, and in fairly good condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteroo View Post
I'm new here, and I have had some strange issues with my poor little 2001 VW bug. He doesn't have a turbo, was kept in great condition, has under 95K miles on him, and has prompt repair work done. Now, the issue I'm having is that he was throwing a code for the O2 filter or something like that, which, honestly, didn't seem like a big deal and was told it wasn't. Now, however, on Friday the "check oil pressure" light came on for a little bit, I took him to get the oil changed, since he was due for it anyway, and it was super brown. He was fine until today, and the oil light came on again. Checked his oil, its fine and clear. HOWEVER. Part of the handle of the dipstick is literally just cracking apart. Could some of the little bits have fallen in? For reference, the oil light goes on and off randomly. It comes on when I slow down, and goes off when I accelerate for the most part. There are no noises, he isn't over heating, no issues in handling, no ticking, nothing. However, the temp gauge does seem to come on when the oil light does, but not always. I'm wondering if its sludge/random bits stuck somewhere? Is it safe to drive to the dealer, which is 15 min away? What could possibly be the cause of this?

I should reiterate that this car is a non-turbo, made is 2001, and in fairly good condition.
Okay, this is like Deja vu, just posted in another thread about this same exact situation. There must be a disease of Oil Pressure problems.

Again, the US model Beetle's don't have an Oil Level Sensor but only an Oil Pressure Sensor so when you Oil light starts flashing that means you don't have enough Oil Pressure to going to your engine.
Could be a clogged Oil pick up tube or a failing Oil pump.

What type of oil are you using in your Beetle? Only VW 502 and 505 oils should be used in your Beetle.

But you also mentioned you had some sort of engine code for the O2 sensor??? That could be significant. What were those codes?? If the O2 sensor isn't fixed it can actually destroy the Catalytic Converter by running a rich mixture. Unburned fuel gets into the Catalytic converter and heats up and ignites melting the Ceramic honeycombs inside the CAT, then they break up in smaller pieces and clog the exhaust system. Kinka like sticking a Banana into your tail pipe. Your car will suddenly stall because of excessive back pressure. If you go underneath your car. Try to shake your catalytic converter (Put gloves on it will be HOT or wait until it has cooled) If you hear any rattling then your converter is shot.

If you can get it to Autozone or another parts place that can scan for codes and let us know that would be very helpful.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Oh, here is a link to your Dipstick tube:

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Oil Dipstick > ES#261699 Oil Dipstick Funnel - 06A103663C

I would pull the dipstick and plug the hole with a cloth or something that doesn't fall inside of it. You will have oil loss without that dipstick tube in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Okay, this is like Deja vu, just posted in another thread about this same exact situation. There must be a disease of Oil Pressure problems.

Again, the US model Beetle's don't have an Oil Level Sensor but only an Oil Pressure Sensor so when you Oil light starts flashing that means you don't have enough Oil Pressure to going to your engine.
Could be a clogged Oil pick up tube or a failing Oil pump.

What type of oil are you using in your Beetle? Only VW 502 and 505 oils should be used in your Beetle.

But you also mentioned you had some sort of engine code for the O2 sensor??? That could be significant. What were those codes?? If the O2 sensor isn't fixed it can actually destroy the Catalytic Converter by running a rich mixture. Unburned fuel gets into the Catalytic converter and heats up and ignites melting the Ceramic honeycombs inside the CAT, then they break up in smaller pieces and clog the exhaust system. Kinka like sticking a Banana into your tail pipe. Your car will suddenly stall because of excessive back pressure. If you go underneath your car. Try to shake your catalytic converter (Put gloves on it will be HOT or wait until it has cooled) If you hear any rattling then your converter is shot.

If you can get it to Autozone or another parts place that can scan for codes and let us know that would be very helpful.

Good luck to you.
They used S530 oil. Full synthetic. Now, could it be a filter? I haven't changed that in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM
IndyTom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location:
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooteroo View Post
They used S530 oil. Full synthetic. Now, could it be a filter? I haven't changed that in a while.
You mean as in "Oil Filter"?? Why wouldn't you change the oil filter with every Oil Change???

I also have no idea of what S530 oil is? What brand is it?

Also which brand oil filter do you have installed? Most modern oil filters do have a bypass valve in case the oil filter gets clogged it lets the oil flow through without being filtered. So unless you are using a very low quality filter than it should have no effect on the oil pressure.

What were the fault codes when you had it scanned?

Does your car stall out after the oil light comes on?

I would still check your Catalytic converter along with the O2 Sensors. Then check the Oil pick up tube (You have to take off the oil Pan for that) and if that isn't it then it could be your oil pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
You mean as in "Oil Filter"?? Why wouldn't you change the oil filter with every Oil Change???

I also have no idea of what S530 oil is? What brand is it?

Also which brand oil filter do you have installed? Most modern oil filters do have a bypass valve in case the oil filter gets clogged it lets the oil flow through without being filtered. So unless you are using a very low quality filter than it should have no effect on the oil pressure.

What were the fault codes when you had it scanned?

Does your car stall out after the oil light comes on?

I would still check your Catalytic converter along with the O2 Sensors. Then check the Oil pick up tube (You have to take off the oil Pan for that) and if that isn't it then it could be your oil pump.
I have no idea what brand it is. I just now it is full synthetic. I haven't personally changed the oil filter since I had it, as I do not change the oil myself, but I know it has been changed at least once. The fault codes were the O2 codes I told you about. I do not have a scanner.
Do you think this car would be safe to drive 15 min to the mechanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM
mullardel34's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location:
Midwest US, USA
Car: 2000 GLS Turbo
Default

As IndyTom noted, the US model New Beetle's don't have an "Oil-Level" Sensor, but only an "Oil-Pressure Sensor". Insufficient oil-pressure will very quickly destroy your engine, so when that "Oil-Pressure Sensor" idiot-light illuminates, you MUST shutdown the engine NOW!!! Until you resolve your oil-pressure issue, don't even think about driving the car anywhere; have the car towed to your mechanic's place. The engine you save will be your own...

Also as noted by IndyTom; use of a full-synthetic oil doesn't mean anything in the context of your engine --- if the engine-oil doesn't adhere to the VW 502.00 specifications, it's not the correct oil for your engine. The VW 502.00 engine-oil specifications ensure long-life engine operations with the high-sulphur content gasolines present in the US (the VW 505.00 engine-oil specifications are designed for use with low-sulphur gasolines present in the European market). Ensure that the VW 502.00 compliance notice is on the bottle of engine-oil before it goes into your VW motor. You have to be cautious; often, a given engine-oil manufacturer will offer only a limited subset of their full-synthetic engine-oils that comply with the VW502.00 engine-oil specifications (e.g., my preferred Castrol Syntec only specifies conformance with VW502.00 with their "European Forumula" 0W-30 weight engine-oil at my local Advanced Auto parts-store).

BTW, IndyTom is one of the acknowledged sage advisors on this forum; when IndyTom offers advice, most of us pay close attention...
__________________
Mullard EL34
--------------------------
Klaus --- 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS (1.8L 20V turbo) w/ 5-speed manual transmission
Sport Edition F7 wheels (16"x7")
Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires (205/55ZR-16)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
D2Beetle's Avatar
NB Yellow Trifecta
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location:
Springfield, TN, USA
Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's
Default

It seems that "S530" is a military specification for a synthetic motor oil. I am not certain that I would use it an NB, as it is probably meant for trucks and other related military vehicles.

For what it is worth, the recommended change interval is 4000 miles and that includes the filter to.

It is possible for the broken pieces of the dip stick tube to end up in the oil pan and I have read instances where it did clog the pick up tube screen. If it were me I would drop the oil pan and find out; which would also give you an idea if the S530 oil that you are using is harmful to your NB or not.
__________________
My NB Family...

Last edited by D2Beetle; 04-23-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:14 PM
mystix's Avatar
Imbugd - 99 1.8t
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Default getting back

Coming back to the original post..

I would guess it would be the pickup tube for the oil. Could it be the cracked pieces of the dipstick plastic? Possibly.. it could be solidified pieces of oil, grit, or whatever. With the oil being 'super brown' it sounds like you need to add oil changes to that 'prompt repair work'.

Theres a pickup tube in the oil pan.. its basically a metal straw with a metal filter screen on the inside. When that filter gets plugged with whatever the engine can't pull oil through the straw, killing the oil pressure. Its not good to drive it at this point.

That 15 minute drive to the mechanic could cost you 500-1000 in repair cost. Its better to pay someone $50 to tow it. Thats not just certified mechanic talk being over cautious. I've had it happen before I knew better.

It is possible to fix on your own if you like without a lot of specialized stuff. You need to take off the sound plates, the oil pan, and the pickup tube. Then you clean out the tube with whatever solvents, a metal pick, etc. You'll need gasket gel to put the oilpan back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Porter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location:
York, PA, USA
Car: 2001 cl avh
Default oil light

I had a similar problem. In my case it turned out to be that the connector to the oil pressure sensor was fillrd with oil(the old sensor had leaked). Spraying out the connector did the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
2001 , non turbo , oil light , vw bug

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil pressure light Uncle Chuck 1.8 Liter Turbo 11 12-21-2011 03:46 PM
red oil pressure light Slow_bug 2.0 Liter Gas 5 11-24-2010 01:11 AM
ABS Light randomly on ... neko Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 1 01-29-2009 05:15 AM
Three beeps and ABS light on randomly? AceJay Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 7 09-20-2008 04:23 PM
ASL light comes on randomly... Turboboy Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 2 09-05-2006 02:46 AM

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2