Wheel hitting strut - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 AM

Default Wheel hitting strut

What a night. My wife driving home and hit something in the road. She said it felt like it lifted her in the air. She said the steering wheel was way off center and the front drivers side tire is cambered in so bad it's hitting the strut! When she got home I jacked the car up took the wheel off and that's when I found it was rubbing the strut. It even cut the tire. We have so much oil play here in NW Oklahoma. All these oil rigs go through town and they don't strap there loads down. Ofcourse she didn't see the truck or the piece on the road. So how do you fix camber issues like this?
Here's the piece she hit Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360811623.460413.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  85.6 KB
Here's the area on the strut that the tire is rubbing Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360811658.225644.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  86.7 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 AM

Car: 98 2.0 Red

The strut is likely bent right at the point it enters the spindle. If you have the alignment checked the INCLUDED ANGLE should be the same left side compared to right side. If not something is bent strut or spindle.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:52 AM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Looks and sounds like something may be bent??

An easy test is to get the car on a level surface and have wheels straight.

If you have a 24" level or a torpedo level and a scrap piece of wood that you can put across the tire vertically and compare the vertical level (camber) of the both front wheels.

This is likely how you may be able to see how badly the camber may be off on the drivers side??

Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 AM

Car: PEDRO 99 BEETLE GLS
Default Re: Wheel hitting strut

You have a bent strut for sure, and probably a bent knuckle also. Order a knee assembly from the junk yard,that will have everything you need on it. Don't forget to press in a new bearing, it is much easier to do it while the knuckle is already out.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Car: 01 1.9TDI Techno Blue

Most likely a bent strut, if it is replace both as you don't want a new and old strut on the car. I'd also make sure the tire and wheel are ok. Maybe a bent tie rod too.

Lots more info on this kind of accident here:

Bent Tie Rod, hit a curb - TDIClub Forums
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

The knuckle is a pretty heavy casting. I'll bet it is OK. The control arm should be checked over for any damage. It is relatively light and could be bent by getting hit by something. I'd replace the ball joint since it could have been stressed by whatever bent the strut. It is such a critical component that you don't want to risk it eventually failing.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:07 PM

Here is the bad thing I just installed lower arms with ball joints and the struts not more than a month ago. I bought a new strut and I am going to tear it apart this weekend. I hope that's all that is wrong!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 AM

The ball joint is bent. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360897579.438079.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  65.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1360897593.285496.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  55.3 KB
I have coming tomorrow. I'm goin to replace the strut also.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:23 AM

Car: 1999 GL 2.0

Better check the control arm to see if it is twisted as well. Man! Lucky that whole thing didn't come apart!
Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Yup bent strut!! Gonna put the new in today. Also upon inspection of the lower ball joint it's ok. I thought it was bent when I was lookin at it still installed. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1361036076.372714.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  89.4 KB

Old 02-16-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm not a dude.

Car: 2001 1.8T, 5spd
Garage

Off topic but it's awesome to see another orger in OK! I'm in tulsa if ya ever need anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
I would go off the deep end if some dingbat hurt my baby Dive Bomber. After Wifey had me bailed out of jail for skinning the assailant alive and wearing her flesh as a hat for a couple days, I would have to drink about 4 cases of beer for the impending war with the insurance goons who charge the same for ins. on a 2002 model as they do for a B One Three.
You are a better man than I my friend.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Randi View Post
Off topic but it's awesome to see another orger in OK! I'm in tulsa if ya ever need anything
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.