98 Beetle Stalling - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM

NJ, USA
Car: 1998 Beelte 2.0L
Unhappy 98 Beetle Stalling

I have a 98 Beetle and now it is stalling on me. Not all of time, but it is becoming dangerous. Not really sure when it will stall. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what was the resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
and your little dog too!!

Car: 2000 Cool White glx

is it chuggin, snorting, stinky or just quits, do you get a check engine light? does it do it at highway speed or like when you are coming to a stop?

could be mass air. fill us in with a little more and im sure we'll get it for ya
Old 03-17-2006, 03:13 PM

NJ, USA

There is no warning when it stalls, my daughter says that when she stops and then tries to take off, the car stalls. The car will start again, and the check engine light goes on. I drove it for a couple of days and I cannot recreate it. I had a hard time starting it yesterday, but again this happens every once and a while. Thanks for replying, I want to make the right decision as to where to take it for service.

Last edited by rob11g; 03-17-2006 at 05:00 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 PM

Default My pos 98 vw bug

My 98 bug does the same thing. It also dies when I'm driving down the highway. Sometimes it stutters real bad at 30 mph. My advice is to GET RID OF IT. I'm serious, trade it in while it's still running. I spent over $1000 fixing EVERYTHING that was wrong with the car. I only had it a year. I bought the car in 2004 with less than 70K. The door locks quit working, I could only unlock the door from the passenger side, the latch for the lift gate quit latching, all the window switches are broken, driver side window governor went out, brake light switch faulty (recall), driverside headlight burns out all the time (recall), there is a wire that rubs the top of the battery it's been recalled on later models, but not this one. The power mirror switch is broken, the headliner is falling. The switch to disengage the gear selector lock when you step on the brake pedal is broke (I just unplugged it, problem solved), The engine dies when starting from a stop, it dies at 50 mph, it stutters at 30 mph, in fact when driving at 30 mph the gas pedal will pull away from your foot and the engine will rev, then it goes back down and does it again, when driving on the highway sometimes the engine will suddenly lose power, I shift into neutral and try to rev the engine, you can hold the gas to the floor and the engines revs up and down constantly, I have to turn the engine off and start it again and then it works fine. I fixed ALL this stuff all at once and cost around $1500. It worked for awhile, after 3 months the engine started doing everything all over again. Trade it in for a Nissan Sentra or something while it still runs.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:44 AM
Where is home ....

Car: 2003.5 GLS BLCC (Zoomer)

Sisters bug did that ... catalytic converter was bad. Her car (an automatic) was stalling when she was trying to go from a stop. :\ Bleh! Totally get it fixed (whatever it is) SOON!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:02 PM

NJ, USA

How did they know it was the CatConv ?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Where is home ....

Her bug threw a Check engine light. So, I had a VW shop (not dealer) run a vag-com on her car. And the code popped up for the cat-conv. When she had it tested at the dealer ... they said nothing was wrong - even tho it threw codes. Figurse ...
Old 03-27-2006, 09:05 PM

NJ, USA

I replaced the MAF and the car just stalled again. Now I am lost for ideas. HELP
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Where is home ....

Is there a VW speciality shop near you? It is definatly worth getting your car checked out by a special shop - even if it isnt throwing CEL's.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.