How do I replace Side Marker Lights - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 02:00 AM

Nova Scotia, Canada
Car: 2000 GLS 2.0L Auto
Question How do I replace Side Marker Lights

How do I replace side Marker Lights? I have a 2000 GLS 2.0. I searched the forum, but don't see what I have. So I included pictures of the Bad side marker which is under the rearview mirror on the driver side and the good one on the passenger side . I also included the guts, b/c there seems to be two different types. I checked out side-marker-lights.html, but I don't have any clip on mine.

Thanks for any help,
Juanita
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM

Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

I can't find a specific piece of instruction in my Bentley manual but I think you may be able to get at the light's retention clips by removing the front wheel liner and then reaching into the gap behind it. This is based on the instructions for working on the side marker light for a Turbo S.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM

Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks, When I bought the Beetle the lens was broken off and I think the issue is that is pushed in. I watched a youtube video on a jetta, but again, mine is pushed in. Tried pliers to get out, but may need to remove front wheel liner. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Car: manual y2k gls 2.0

Not sure if I remember correctly, but thought I read it's from the inside, thru the dash in order to replace those blinkers.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 AM

Nova Scotia, Canada

I ended up squeezing the side and pulling it out. I believe one of the outside clips/holders was holding it back.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Older but not Wiser

Car: 02 turbo-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Beetle View Post
Not sure if I remember correctly, but thought I read it's from the inside, thru the dash in order to replace those blinkers.
!!!! yea its right next to the blinker fluid fill point under the radio.

!!!! i will give you $100 if you provide me where you read this. im not trying to be an ass, but think about how difficult that would be.

it is a pressure clip. use something like a butter knife or thin to release it and gently pull out.

in your case the youtube video is the proper way to take them out. since yours is broken just go all crazy like and dont chip the paint. who cares, youre putting a new one in and dont care about the broken thing in your fender. use a machette or a bulldozer. or go in from the inside like benny said. call me and let me know how that works out for you.

rock it. if it doesnt rock, use a pair of pliars.

-jd

1987 VW Jetta, 1998 VW Beetle 2.0, 1985 VW Scirroco, 2003 VW Beetle Turbo-S, 1995 VW Passat VR6, 2002 VW Beetle Turbo-S
Old 09-24-2013, 01:48 AM

Nova Scotia, Canada

I know it's not from under the dash as indicated by Benny Beetle. I just had the whole dash apart to put in a new radio.

I "just (went) all crazy like" and said some funny words as I was doing it. But I didn't scratch the paint, Ya!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Older but not Wiser

im glad you are doing these repairs yourself, it makes you have a feeling of "proud work" when youre done. i dont let anyone touch my car, unless its major body work. everything else is done by me.

if you have anymore questions just ask us. you will get some crazy answers then you will get right answers. you just have to be able to sort and pick. lol..

-jd
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2008 View Post
I know it's not from under the dash as indicated by Benny Beetle. I just had the whole dash apart to put in a new radio.

I "just (went) all crazy like" and said some funny words as I was doing it. But I didn't scratch the paint, Ya!
My apologies, it's been about 13 years since I last saw a question concerning the side blinkers and the consensus at that time was "thru the dash"(and it could've even been on "beetlebuzz.com" a site that no longer exists) . Glad to hear you were able to get the problem resolved jmh2008.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM

Car: 2000 Beetle TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
!!!! i will give you $100 if you provide me where you read this. im not trying to be an ass, but think about how difficult that would be.

-jd
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...2#post67839002

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Are Friends Electric?

Thanks I knew I saw it somewhere (but then a part of me was questioning that)!
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

Make sure you collect your hundred bucks especially with him not wanting to be an ass. I'm sure he'd honor his commitment since he was the one to put it out there.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Older but not Wiser

maybe i should have been more clear. while vortex is very informative, it is not an official manual like i had to read when i was a tech going through training.

i can post changing the oil from the top of the engine but whats the point when that would be the most illogical way to do it.

its absurd to go through the dash to replace a blinker when you can pop it out with a plastic bone tool.

same as replacing the antenna. why take the headliner down when you can cut a hole in the roof and then patch/paint it afterwards. makes sense right?

im in no way trying to get out of the $100, i just dont accept the knowledge base from vortex as a creditable source. especially when its from old man with mental health issues who had 1 leg and balding just on the right side of his head.

do you get what im saying or are you dead set on replacing it that way? cause we can race and ill win.

-jd
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 PM

It should say how in the haynes manual

Haynes is the information resource for the DIY enthusiast
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Perfecting the art of being wrong; with confidence.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Older but not Wiser

Code:
Perfecting the art of being wrong; with confidence.
well put... that person is very wrong to assume that is the correct way to change a side marker.

my point is simple:

there is no "VW documented" way that i would have learned how to get this light out by going through the dash. in all my years as a VW tech we used a bone tool.

just because some moron found a weird way to fix something doesnt make it right, especially on the interwebs.

kinda done here. "if i win a battle on the internet, all ive done is win the battle on the internet." kinda have better things to do with my life. like change my tire while wearing a straight jacket.

-jd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
side marker lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.