VW Beetle Forum banner

Report: Diesel Engine Coming to 2012 U.S. VW Beetle

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  79veedub 
#1 ·
As posted here.

A diesel engine will make its way to the options list of the second-generation Volkswagen Beetle, Automotive News reports. The engine is one of a few publicized updates that the automaker has planned for the new Beetle. Others include more backseat room and improved packaging. The second-generation Beetle will appear in the U.S. as a 2012 model.

VW President Stefan Jacoby has called the next Beetle "more of a halo car" and said the brand aims for more sales. As we've reported, the Beetle's U.S. sales peaked in 1999 -- one year after its introduction -- at 83,434 units. Last year, VW sold 24,477 units.

Source: Automotive News (subscription required)

Read more: Report: Diesel Engine Coming to 2012 U.S. VW Beetle; Would You Buy One? - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine

#3 ·
Finally. I'm not sure about the new generation Beetle though. It's still round so maybe it'll grow on me.:)

#5 ·
New Beetle TDI

Half of the folks commenting didn't even know how to spell Beetle, so I wouldn't put much stock in their comments. My wife has a '00 Beetle TDI and I love to drive it. I try to steal it in a trade occasionally, but I haven't been successful. I'm getting a '03 Beetle Turbo S ready to drive, but I love the TDIs...I have a Jetta TDI that saves me a lot of money!! I hope VW sells a bunch of the TDIs. They are much better vehicles than the Prius or Smarts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.