VW Beetle Forum banner

hi new to forum but...

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  unknownstyle 
#1 ·
hi i am new to this new beetle industry i currently own a 1998 new beetle and i just got a new battery. but my radio is locked. and i dont know how to unlock it -_-" i have the code when i bought the car but i lost the manual for the Radio err.. so if possible can someone help me out?
thanks

#2 ·
Welcome to this forum...

Though I haven't checked this myself, I've read here that the four-digit unlock code to your original factory radio can be found on the top of a label located on the body just to the left of the spare tire. Let us know how it goes (and let us know a little more about yourself)...

#4 ·
Here's a post from "jhicken" that will tell you the process for unlocking the radio. Hope this is what you were looking for...

"The stock '99 New Beetle had a Stereo/tape player with CD changer capabilities. If the current radio in there is a Stereo/CD player it may not be stock.

If it is stock, read on...

The radio code was on a sticker originally provided when the car was new. Most folks put it in the owner’s manual. If you do not have the code, there is only one way to get it and that is to remove the radio. There are two little slots on the front of the stock radio. Two small "keys" fit into these slots. You push them in and they unlatch the radio and allow you to pull it out. The "keys" are a specialized tool that you can get either at a stereo instalation supply store or a VW dealer. Check on-line, they’re readily available and will cost you between $10-15.

After you pull the radio out, there is a serial number stamped into the side of the deck. You need that number and your registration and ID to get it from the dealer. Most dealers won't charge you to give you the code. It will only take them a minute or so to look it up.

After you turn the radio on, it'll read "SAFE" on the dial, and then it will change to 1000. The code is four digits long. To change it from 1000, push the radio preset buttons to change the numbers to match the code. After the correct numbers are there, press and hold the DIN> button for a few seconds and the radio should start playing...

Good luck"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.