VW Beetle Forum banner

noR • 2000 • Tekno Blue • GLX

20K views 80 replies 38 participants last post by  Fowvay 
#1 · (Edited)
Here he is; Phrog in all his glory.

Interior Aesthetics:
Grey moulded floormats w/ NB logo.
Techno Blue powdercoated R32 pedals + dead pedal.
Reiger Illuminated shift knob (Blue LED) w/black leather boot.
Autometer Pro-Comp Boost gauge.
Custom Spoiler Switch Relocation.

Exterior Aesthetics:
20% tint on rear 3 windows.
AlienTech Window Control Module.
Tinted, Clear front blinkers.
Custom Grill, fog lights removed, center bar removed, grille removed. Replaced w/ flat black mesh for a greater openning.
StonGuard Lens protection film on headlights
Tinted, reverse lights.
Tinted, 3rd brake light.
Custom taillights, removed amber for red/clear translucent effect. (VERY BRIGHT)
Rear mudflaps, flat black.
6" Antenna.

Engine Performance:
Removed Rear Engine bay weather striping.
Bug-Mod intake hose directly into airbox.
K&N Panel air filter.
N75 Valve Type H
GoFastBits Hybrid DV/BOV, anodized blue.
Custom 2.25" lower intercooler pipe.
New South Power Gasket manifold gasket/temp isolator.
Bosch Copper Triple Electrode Plugs (F7LTCR).
4bar Bosch Fuel Pressure Regulator
Optima Yellow Top Battery (D34/78-950)
2.5" Techtonics Downpipe & High-flow Catalytic converter.
2.5" Techtonics Cat-back, resonator removed.
2.5" Borla Muffler, Stainless Steel single-in/single-out.
ECS Underdrive pulleys, black.
APR 91 octane ECU programming.
Custom Short Shifter, (Diesel Geek style).
VF Engineering Pendulum Engine Mount
Turn2 Transmission Mount Inserts
G60 Flywheel, Lightened & Balanced to 11lbs.
Spec Stage II Lightweight Pressure Plate for VR6 (14 lbs including disc)
Centrex Clutch Disc by Spec

Handling Performance:
Tein Super Street coilovers (16 dampening settings; height adjustable; 391 lbs/in Front, 363 lbs/in Rear).
VW Motorsport upper strut bushings/bearings.
Polyurethane bushings in the lower control arm.
Autotech Lightweight Rear Sway Bar w/polyurethane bushings.
Painted Brake Calipters (Dupli-Color; black)
12.3" Audi TT rotor, front, OEM.
9.1" Brembo rotor, rear, OEM
EBC Greenstuff pads (0.46 friction coefficient; effective to over 650*C)
TyrolSport Brake Bushings.
ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid (DOT4; dry boil: 280*C; wet boil: 200*C)
Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Steel Brakelines
Yokohama AVS ES-100 (225/45R17)
Nippon Racing Lightstar's 17x7.5 (17lbs ea., flat black)
TunerLugs lug bolts (40mm shank front; 35mm shank rear)
H&R Trak+ 15mm wheel spacers (front)
H&R Trak+ 5mm wheel spacers (rear)

I've performed ALL the above upgrades myself, except for the Downpipe/Cat and resonator removal. I've changed my own timing belt, as well as performed the clutch install. 98% of all modifications were done in a drive way w/ramps, jacks, and jack stands.

I have had shops do various work/repairs: Clutch install #1 (g60/sachs vr6); remove & replace bent wheel hub; oil changes before 20K. I have not had any dents/dings fixed or repainted.

What I can't list there is the extreme care I take while performing maintenance and upgrades. I typically clean EVERYTHING thoroughly if it is removed from the beetle. I have scrubbed my subframe w/a toothbrush; I have cleaned brake bolts with solvents. Phrog has 127,209 miles as of this posting, and I'm hoping to break the 1/4 million mark.

I take him for road trips, I've raced him down the 1/4mi., and the 1/8mi. And I try to race him in SoloII (AutoX) events regularly. I have no 'extra' cars that run. If Phrog is down; I am down. We're tight like that. I make him work, work hard, and I make him stay working.

So yeah... this is Phrog; my daily racer.

See less See more
#3 ·
A few of the modifications I've made over the past 5 yrs....

Attachments

#4 ·
Phrog in pieces.

Attachments

#9 ·
And if that's not enough to kill your bandwidth...

Attachments

#16 ·
so i'm guessin if i ask where the license plate frame came from, you're either gonna say it's 1 of kind, or the guy who made em doesnt do em anymore.

right?

and did you knock over the cone in the last shot? tsk tsk...

#17 ·
I made it. I got a personalize liscense plate and used reflective tape from an army surplus store (that I had to find online). I still have more tape....

And no, that's a directional cone, in fact, it's still infront of my bug. My day will come though, where someone will get a shot of me knocking a cone over... it just hasn't happene yet. :)

I did the liscense plate that way because at work I program in a language called PHP; you should probably got back and check out the plate. :)

#19 ·
I have not seen your bug like this! I have never seen wheels like that!!! :eek:

Way cool...... :D

#21 · (Edited)
Hey I'm off work today, I'll work on that mod list. There's just so much little stuff, and things that were done, and then undone... :p

In that shot they're stock 16" alloys from 2000; running 225/50R16 Yokohama EVS 100. They're pretty wide, really looks evil. I took the oem centercaps off and put on some centercaps for rave wheels. I kinda liked that flower/explosion/flare effect.

Thanks Dnyed, yeah I don't show off much. I figured w/the new forum I should make a phat thread on photos though. I try to keep things subtle (black caliper paint, custom tails, etc) rather than flashy.

mentalVdub: oh yeah, the handling seriously took a huge leap forward. :)

#22 ·
noR said:
I've performed ALL the above upgrades myself, except for the Downpipe/Cat and resonator removal. I've changed my own timing belt, as well as performed the clutch install. 98% of all modifications were done in a drive way w/ramps, jacks, and jack stands.

I have had shops do various work/repairs: Clutch install #1 (g60/sachs vr6); remove & replace bent wheel hub; oil changes before 20K. I have not had any dents/dings fixed or repainted.

What I can't list there is the extreme care I take while performing maintenance and upgrades. I typically clean EVERYTHING thoroughly if it is removed from the beetle. I have scrubbed my subframe w/a toothbrush; I have cleaned brake bolts with solvents. Phrog has 127,209 miles as of this posting, and I'm hoping to break the 1/4 million mark.

I take him for road trips, I've raced him down the 1/4mi., and the 1/8mi. And I try to race him in SoloII (AutoX) events regularly. I have no 'extra' cars that run. If Phrog is down; I am down. We're tight like that. I make him work, work hard, and I make him stay working.

So yeah... this is Phrog; my daily racer.
You just became my favorite new buddy on the org. It is so cool I do the same with my New Beetle while doing maintenance(the toothbrush thing). I use simple green on almost everything I clean. What cleaner do you use? In the picture below all I have done is spray the wheelwell with simple green,I did not scrub any thing before taking the photo. Before spraying it I did not even realize that there was yellow paint showing in that area.

Attachments

#24 ·
Haha, thanks Yelojkt. I tend to just use whatever's on hand. a big fan of foaming cleaners. I use alot of Armor All Tire foam; or gunk engine brite if it's hard to get clean. It's really a habit I just picked up. I don't want bolts getting siezed because of dirt or anything retarded like that. I'm not all that great at keeping Phrog shiney; but when I take him apart it all gets cleaned then. :p

VDUBYA,
We'll have to just make something happen I imagine. No more Solo II events out in Columbus; at least not any time soon. But I'm sure we can make somethin' happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.