VW Beetle Forum banner

Rally bug stud bug 2

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  onlya5speed 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum having spoken to mad mike I would like to pick your brains.
I am preparing a beetle rally car for tarmac rallying but I want to enter my local forest rally the Wyedean rally.
I am after a cheap suspension raise harder set up, as this event is a one off I dont want to go to the expense of proper rally suspension for a single event.
I am running a V5 engine.
I was wondering if there were any springs or shocks from the VW Audi range that would achieve this?
This is a full on high speed event and 2" lift kit is not the type of thing, any ideas?

Car is currently having roll cage fitted and is due back on Tuesday leaving a couple of weeks to finish the car.

See less See more
#2 ·
use moog springs.for a heavy passenger car.my bug is 1998,and 4 cyl.i got moog springs and constant rates don't move for a 6cly application,but they raise it 2 inches.a variable rate set are 1.5 and they move.i got mine for a jetta glx v6 tow package car lol.have to make longer end links,but maybe not.i actually lifted mine 6 inches total in back and 8 in front to level it.the only thing I cut up was my axles.they had to be an inch and 1/8 longer.everything else was a bolt on.i fabricated frame drops and strut adaptors.could do that hiegth just with strut adaptors made from spring steel trailer axle tubing.i did,and the clamp collars are spring flat bar welded on.hard to drill it though,takes all day to make just one.i think the strut extenders I made are on my profile pics here.have pics of the car.it handles awesome too.can send more pics of the kit I made.its all bolt on and 100% reversible.axles are modified and had to make a steering column extention from other cars because I dropped the rack,everything fits,even the steering lines.had to move the brake lines and make extensions,but you wont have to up to 3 inches.seriosly.the axles will just handle 4 without cutting them.3.5 for rough use.im still learning this site.hope you get this.i can help a fellow member for sure.i don't race mine,just set it up for Canada for lots of snow,lol.it was my alberta car.been goin 6 yrs now.gonna get 10 more out of the thing lol.cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.