VW Beetle Forum banner
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  IndyTom 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 1.8t. Starts fine when its cold (hasn't been driven , like mornings). But if i drive it and it gets to normal driving temp and turn it off its hard to start up or will not start at all (cranks over and over).

I recently changed the fuel filter thinking it was the culprit but no change. I do have a cel light on and has been on a while and had it scanned with oxygen sensors problems showing. Could this be causing it not to start correctly. Would love to have it scanned with a vag if..if..if anyone in the area has one and willing to help out.:).. Thanks for all help.. trying to make it until after Christmas to fix the oxygen sensor (because they are expensive)..

#2 ·
Yes that will do it . Your car only reads the oxygen sensors after it is warmed up and gone into a closed loop mode. That is what the technical term is. During warmup while in open loop the preset parameters just pump a little extra fuel in so your engine doesn't die out or stall, kind of like an old fashioned choke. Yes, I said old. Like since the beginning of time up until the early eighties.;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.