2000 1.8 Turbo timing belt marks - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Default 2000 1.8 Turbo timing belt marks

Hello all,
I started to replace my wife's water pump over the weekend. I'm also going to change tensioners and belts while I'm at it. After removing the crankshaft pulley, I know that I have to line up the timing marks on the camshaft and the crankshaft pulleys.
When the camshaft marks are lined up, the crankshaft marks don’t line up for some reason? The mark on the pulley is about 30 degrees to the left off the mark on the cover plate (or about an inch if looking from the top)
Watching videos and reading forum posts, I know that they are supposed to line up before removing the timing belt. As far as I know, the belt has never been changed before (84K miles) and we’ve had it since 2005. The car runs fine which confuses me. I won’t take the old belt off yet until I understand what is going on.
Does anyone understand what is going on?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Car: 02' Turbo S

You might want to recheck your timing marks but use the flywheel marks, rather than the crankshaft pulley. It is possible for a worn crank pulley; to have the outer portion to slip if the rubber is degraded or worn out (thus the marks move).

Pull the # 1 spark plug and inserting a screwdriver; can also be another way to confirm tdc.

Check out the service manual for more info: (note the flywheel marks)

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswag...res/page_1835/

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Need to find a VW part number? Look up here: http://parts.vw.com/
Then, use google; to find the best prices! :-)

Last edited by billymade; 03-20-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM

OK, thanks for the reply, I will have another look tonight and check. My brother mentioned something similar about degraded rubber.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default timing marks

First get the timing marks pretty close to TDC.
If the car is running fine.
The timing marks don't have to match or align exactly. What's more important in order to not mess up your timing is to mark the belt and sprocket with nail polish or some permanent marker before you remove the timing belt. Starting from the top cam you will place a mark on the belt and on the cam wheel sprocket & also put an arrow going clockwise. Then do the same to the crank pulley and belt there, but no arrow. Now you can remove the belt. Then count the number of teeth on the old belt going clockwise from the top cam & arrow until you get to the crank sprocket marks. Double count and triple count to make sure. Then mark the new belt with the same amount of belt teeth and put an arrow to keep things simple. Install the new belt by just matching up the markings on the belt to the cam sprocket and crank sprocket markings.....You can't go wrong like that. like they did in this picture where they used orange color on the cam pulley.
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by esse10; 03-20-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Where do I find the timing marks on the flywheel? I just want to check for peace of mind. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:21 PM

It is in top of the bell housing of the transmission; click on the above link to. the service manual pages. go ahead and print out all the pages about the timing marks and that way you look at them, when you're working on the car.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM

I did click on the link and when I finally find the inspection hole I will be able to figure it out. The car is an automatic if that makes a difference and this is the first time I've looked under the hood/bonnet; its my wifes. Do I need to remove anything to find because I cannot find it anywhere?I assume the bell housing is on the drivers side? I have no idea. I drive Mustangs and corvettes and that is what I'm familiar with. Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Is this the inspection hole? just under the second vertical stud, about an inch diameter. I found this image in another post. If it is, I guess this is for a manual trans? I assume the automatic is in the same place?
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by Tafster101; 03-21-2017 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM

No, this is the side view of the timing belt crank gear with the crank dampener pulley removed.

Look at the first image here: https://www.google.com/search?client...&dpr=2#imgrc=_

Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the image, but I give up. All I need to know is where in the engine bay do I need to look???? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I guess I'll have to go to the VW dealership 50 miles away and ask them; maybe they can point with their finger.

Thanks for everyone's help.

End of thread, no need to reply.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 2003 20th GTI, 1984 Jetta GL TD, 1982 Rabbit pickup (In Progress)
Garage

You'll be looking from up top, down onto the transmission. This may help some.

The engine is at the top of the image. The inspection hole is in the bellhousing. It is under some hoses and things but it can be seen without removing them.
The new project: Mr. T, 1982 Rabbit Pickup (Caddy), work in progress
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Default flywheel timing mark

That is where it's at in the picture that smileybug is showing but on the 1.8t engine you do have to remove the airbox and maybe the SAI pump hoses to see it. It's gonna have a rubber plug and so you just pull up on it. TIP; Once you locate the timing peep hole on the bellhousing then you can slowly crank the engine a little at a time until you see the timing mark on the flywheel. Or at least get it close and then turn the engine slowly by hand using a 1/2 ratchet and turn the bottom crank sprocket clockwise.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Thank you very much Smileybug and esse10. I actually removed the air box the other night and I’m going to remove a few hoses because it’s still not visible. I know it has to be in there somewhere but at least now I know the correct area to look at. I probably won’t get round to it before the weekend but I will update my progress when there is something to tell. Once again, thank you for being patient. Hopefully once found and with help from billymade’s service manual images, it should be a breeze from now on?!?!?! lol
Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 PM

Well just got home and had a look and I think I can see a hole under a s**t load of hoses. I need to get a pen light, mirror and magnetic stick to see properly. I have them somewhere but I can't seem to find them!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Default rubber plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafster101 View Post
Well just got home and had a look and I think I can see a hole under a s**t load of hoses. I need to get a pen light, mirror and magnetic stick to see properly. I have them somewhere but I can't seem to find them!
This is what to look for a rubber plug like the one in this picture that the red arrow is pointing to.
Attached Images/Files

Old 03-24-2017, 09:39 PM

I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT I FOUND IT!!!Thanks for the image, it confirms it. Mine didn't actually have a stopper in it, so the flywheel was a little rusty. I eventually took #1 plug out and got it approximate then looked at the flywheel and I could just make out the timing mark. Thank you, everyone who helped, it was invaluable. Putting it all back together tomorrow will be the easy bit?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 PM

So, were the timing marks off on the harmonic balancer or did all the timing marks, line up?
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

The timing marks were still off the balancer so it leads me to believe that the rubber has degraded on the pulley. I was toying with the idea of replacing the pulley but at around $300 for man OEM replacement, I'll make do with a bottle of nail varnish and make new marks.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Ok, the mystery is solved!

Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Engine Crankshaft Pulley. PULLEY. VIBRATION DAMPER. . Incl.Engine Harmonic Balancer
1.8 LITER; COUPE, 1.8 LITER.
06A105243E

You could get a used one at a local junkyard or look online; used $40-$ 50 on ebay or new $80 +:

https://www.google.com/search?q=06A1...d:p&tbm=shop&*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.