VW Beetle Forum banner

"The End of an Era" OR "My poor 98 NB vs. an 05 Ford Ranger"

7K views 45 replies 33 participants last post by  manoverboard987 
#1 ·
Last monday afternoon, on my way back to my aparment here in Tallahassee from my home in Lake Alfred (a 4 and a half hour drive), I was involved in a car accident. I was turning left onto the road that my apartment sits on... well - to save me typing and you reading the rest, just watch this...

The strike spun me around at least twice, and we ended up on the corner of the intersection. Both cars were totalled. (not officially by insurance yet, but you can just tell.)

Legally, even though he sped back up to beat the yellow (which is a ticketable offense in Florida), I was at fault since I was crossing his right-of-way, and the police officer at the scene was kind enough to give ME a ticket for failure to yield to remind me. I'm taking the class, though, so the four points don't stay on my license and the fine is reduced by 18%.

I was able to walk away with no apparent injuries at the time, as was the driver of the Ranger. I missed the next 2 days of school as some huge bruises in the shape of a seatbelt started to appear and take their toll. I also apparently twisted my knee pretty badly, but all that's getting better now.

The beetle did exactly what it was designed to do. Even though the airbags didn't deploy (can't figure that one out yet), the body deflected all of the energy around the cabin, and nothing was pushed towards me inside. The roof rails were twisted at points, and the driver's side was flared out a little, showing where the energy from the crash was sent.

I'm now rolling in a green-on-cream 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L that we were lucky to find in mint condition for $8400. I'll post up some pics of her once I get some decent ones taken.

Here's some pics of the carnage...

So rest in peace my beetle friend. You might be gone but you won't ever be forgotten. Thanks for keeping me alive.

To the Org:
Thanks for everything over the last 3 years. Your help, handiwork and comments inspired me to see that the NB was so much more than just a car. My NB love is by no means dead, and I plan to stay a member of the org community, helping out wherever I can. Looking back, I got a lot accomplished with my NB, and a lot of it was due to your help, so thank you as well.

See less See more
#3 ·
manoverboard---
sorry your buggy got nailed, but nice to hear you walked away from the accident relatively unscathed.
looks like your NB did what it's supposed to do---protect it's occupants.
warren

#4 ·
Ouch! Those are painful just to look at. Sorry for your loss, but you're ok and that's the important part. Congrats on your newly acquired wheels!!

Cori

#5 ·
Ouch comes to mind here also. Glad you are Okay ... and still Dubbing. Jettas are safe also ... know a lady that somehow put her TDI Wagen on the roof and walked away with no injuries ... too bad her son wrecked her old car ... a Cyber Green TDI Beetle with over 200K on the odo a few months after she gave it to him.

#8 ·
So sorry to hear about your accident, but like everyone else, I am glad to hear that the little bubble kept you safe. Also sorry to hear about your ticket; some cops can be such turds!! It's especially painful to see a white buggy crashed up- like living my own nightmare! :scared: But, thankfully, it kept you alive. Get well soon...

#10 ·
Upon first reading that you were OK, I must comment:

Look what you did to that Ranger! :eek: You took it out!

The truck looks worse than yours! :eek:

#11 ·
Hollllllllly cow! I am glad you are okay!!!

I am sooooo sorry about your loss, but boy did that little beetle do what she was suppose to do.

Your airbags prob. didnt deploy because you were hit to the side of the sensor... I know with my jetta, the kid hit me in the same area you were hit but a little more on the front, hense airbags everywhere blahhhhh.

Well I am sad to see that little bug all totalled, but I am glad you are okay, and that you are rolling in another VW. I am sorry you got the ticket, that situation is always a tricky one.

#12 ·
:eek: I'm sooo glad you're ok. That was a bad wreck. Luckily you were in such a great car. It hurt me to look at those pics. I was in a wreck similar 25 years ago. It's ALWAYS the turners fault. :mad: Glad you got a new ride . And a nice one at that.

#13 ·
Wow, first off I am very happy to hear that you made it out in one piece. As everyone else has stated, your pod did it's job and kept you safe and sound...:bigthumb:

Very sorry that this happened though, as you are very passionate about your cars, and it showed with your Pod.

Life will move forward, and I hope the Jetta will provide you many years of good memories as well.

Stick around though, the Org would miss you if you didn't.

Peace...TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

#14 ·
Awwwww, this one just breaks my :heart:. I'm so sorry about your bug, but glad you are okay! Hey, doesn't it seem like the damage to the Ranger is a lot worse than the beetle's? These little cars sure are tough! :cool:

Rest in peace little buddy :cry:

#18 ·
rant mode on/... shakes head... in a hurry, in a hurry.. shame on you, shame on Mr. F150 driver. From what you say, you are more at fault than the other driver.

Let this be a lesson to you all! Never never never never never assume the other driver is going to do what looks to be obvious to you. He may or may not stop, he may or may not yield, he may or may not turn like his signal is indicating, or he'll turn or not without a signal. I once rear-ended a guy because I assumed he was going to turn on red (as PA law permits). He was pointed to the right, and even had his turn signal on. He started out, but then hesitated because he was "gun-shy" from a recent accident. There were no cars coming from the left, but he stopped anyway. Fortunately it was a low-speed bump, and only broke my car's headlight and his bumper mount. It ended up costing me about $1600 to get both cars fixed. (well, I didn't *really* have to get mine repainted). I had a 1987 Chevy Celbrity back then.

Trying to force the other driver to yield is bad news... /rant mode off

Now, that being ranted.. It still stinks that your car got wrecked. Thank whatever supreme being in which you believe that you were merely bruised, and nobody was seriously injured in either vehicle. Have fun with the Jetta.. they are handsome looking cars :) <- Read that as please post a photo... The new ones.. eh.. not so nice looking anynore.

#20 ·
marvins_dad said:
...Do like the gif of the accident though...gonna use that in court?
I don't think I'm gonna be taking anything to court. All the insurance stuff is just about concluded, and my ticket isn't that much of a bother right now (luckily). Plus, I've already missed 1 whole week of school from recovering and shopping for a new car and I can't afford to devote the necessary time to a court hearing. There's also the court costs and whatnot.

#23 ·
You going to replace er' with another NB? Looks like it did exactly what is was supposed to in keeping you safe. It did a real number on the truck!
Most cars today have no actual "sensor" or pin that causes the airbags to deploy. They use an inersia switch in the cabin. Side airbags, if equipped, should have deployed.
Glad you're ok!!

#25 ·
Hey MOB,
I know it's kinda touchy subject but are you able to access parts off of your car? Or is already gone or what? You could make some money off of the headrests, foglights, etc. Stuff that even if you don't buy the car back from the insurance persay, you could remove, and they would be none the wiser.
Say for example you remove the aftermarket radio, etc. I would be interested in that radio surround you have. Plus a couple cupholders, etc.
Stuff like that you could make some jingle on for yourself, just a thought.

#26 ·
kcfoxie said:
So both cars were totaled? I'm PDF'ing this thread to show folks how sound the structure is of these cars, and also to prove once and for all that my car could kill my friend's ranger (even if it was a martyr mission)
A martyr misson, that sounds so sad :(

I am still in shock at how bad that truck looked. My goodness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.