VW Beetle Forum banner

Curly's Cool White 2002 GLS TDI

7K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  scarabY2k 
#1 ·
well, i guess it's time for a repost, in the new forums! ;)

i adopted bubbles on september 7, 2005, and i'm in love. best car i've ever owned. heck, she's the nicest thing i've ever owned!

2002 White GLS TDI. Manual transmission, beige leather, Monsoon soundsystem with Panasonic cd changer.

i haven't done any mods yet, but i plan to get a denison icelink and an ipod soon. i also want to get a metal skid plate, and am considering an EGR mod and new injectors. i also learned after my latest road trip that i need tint, badly. i think i'm going to go as dark as the law will allow. also, after cracking a fog lens on the road trip, i'm going to be purchasing some lexan fog light covers, in clear. the amber's just not for me.

i also need some stickers or something to personalize her. on the glass only of course. :)

clearly, i missed a spot here when i was cleaning the car!! i went after it today with the paint cleaner though, and it's much better now!

you can see my friend jenni's mini cooper s in the background of this one. while her husband and our friend wes slept, the girls were outside cleaning the cars! ;)

here's her namesake, bubbles the powerpuff girl, hanging from the rearview. the flower in my vase is actually a pen that my friend jenni made for me when she heard that i was getting a beetle!

more pictures here.

i'll be taking some more pictures tomorrow, as a lot of work was done today. once again, the girls were outside working on the cars while the boys were inside relaxing. ;) i used mcguire's deep crystal three step system today: paint cleaner, polish and carnuba wax. it was a lot of work, but the results were well worth it. since i've only had the car for a few weeks, i had no idea how well the exterior had been cared for, so i wanted to start off clean. also, since i did some paint chip touch up on tuesday, i bought some rubbing compound and some polishing compound (both turtle wax) and used it on the touch ups. i also used the polishing compound on some scratches, and what a difference! i am in love with this stuff! there were a few spots that didn't disapear, but most of them did.

she looks so good now. she's glowing!! this was the first time i was actually able to wax her, since i was either out of town or it rained every weekend since i've had her. i'm so glad i got to do this. but, it did take all day. and i got a sunburn. hurricane in houston, but in austin, i get a sunburn!

so, anyway, more pictures tomorrow. i tell you what, since i got this car, i've really wished for a garage of my own. not so much so i can park here there, but so that i can store all my car stuff at my place!! ;)

See less See more
#2 ·
So beautiful, and a TDI to boot! The best of all worlds~ :clap:

#3 ·
Beautiful car. I'm interested in the Tdi and white car combo. Do you get enough soot that it seems like the car always has a dirty sooty spot on the back by the muffler even when it is really clean like in your pictures?

I would like to keep my NB forever but I know that really can't happen. It seems they are not making NB's in the 1.8 turbo anymore and I wouldn't want just a 2.0. I think my next one would be white, I got a good theme idea for that one in mind. Tdi is a good way to go. Very nice!

#4 ·
Sukhoidave said:
Beautiful car. I'm interested in the Tdi and white car combo. Do you get enough soot that it seems like the car always has a dirty sooty spot on the back by the muffler even when it is really clean like in your pictures?
i haven't noticed soot at all, really. i try to wash her once a week, but don't always make it. even then, i don't notice the back end being particulary sooty, or even dirty. i do notice that if it rains, the spray back on the sides shows up a lot, but that's too be expected with the white.

i love love love the tdi and i'd reccomend it to everyone. 100 miles on a 1/4 tank of gas, in the city, is AWESOME to me. much better than my automatic honda ever got. also, if you really want high mileage, be sure to get the manual trans. good luck!

#13 ·
e46jb said:
looks like your coolant light is on, or is that just a reflection from the camera flash?
The beetle always shows blue when you first start the car, it will go away when the engine is warm... that way you dont drive it too hard while its still warming up.:D

#15 ·
Everyones post say again and again that she's beautiful...

And quite honestly, I can't think of anything else that describes Bubbles quite as well! She's Gorgeous. And for a NB like that, you should always keep a california duster in the car for the occasional touch-ups, and primping when she's good. I know for a fact that when the White bugs get a bit-o-dirt or rain grime, you do notice it!.

As for detailing, there are loads of great advice on these here forums for that! (I love tire foam myself :D )

And I love the powerpuff girls reference! Bubbles now needs a tiny bow window cling on the back :p

(Powerpuff girls trivia: I worked on that during my intership at Hanna Barbera. Back then, they were known as "the Whoopass Girls")

#18 ·
Atomic_Knight said:
And I love the powerpuff girls reference! Bubbles now needs a tiny bow window cling on the back :p

(Powerpuff girls trivia: I worked on that during my intership at Hanna Barbera. Back then, they were known as "the Whoopass Girls")
:bowdown: You worked on PPG??? :bowdown: You are my Hero:bowdown:

Yep there's seems to be quite a few nb's named Bubbles. To My knowledge, Curly has had the first one posted here. Not many named Buttercup though- Guess i'm the only one:p

It must have been cool working on the PPG. When I first saw the toon, I had that Anime feel about it. That's what really turned me on to them...love anime. Anyhoo, sorry Curly didn't mean to hijack your thread. Good bump though huh?:p

#19 ·
Sorry, not wanting to hi-jack your thread. Your car is very nice, and I appreciate the effort to maintain a white car!

If I continue to see the faint blue color of the coolant light is it there is simply a need for coolant, or is there an internal issue that need to be addressed?

#21 ·
e46jb said:
Sorry, not wanting to hi-jack your thread. Your car is very nice, and I appreciate the effort to maintain a white car!

If I continue to see the faint blue color of the coolant light is it there is simply a need for coolant, or is there an internal issue that need to be addressed?
It should turn off after your engine has warmed up, sometimes that takes just minutes, other times (in colder months) it might take a little longer... if it remains on, I would have it looked at to make sure its nothing major (electrical or coolant)

PS: since stock NBs dont have a temp display, if you EVER get a red coolant light, PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY.

Hope that helps. There should be some threads on that topic...

#22 ·
e46jb said:

i had the same problem and it was a coolant issue. i'd take it in to get it checked out.

#23 ·
w00t! bubbles just got a nice new black dashmat with her name on it! (www.dashmat.com)

i'm hoping the dust will drive me less crazy on the mat. :) now i've just got to recover the hatch cover in black. :)

i'm also ordering new emblems for the hood and hatch. i was thinking blue and white, but now i'm thinking of sticking with the silver and black. they just match more.

next on the list are new valve stem covers, splash guards (they'll stay black) and door handle guards (which will stay black also.

and this weekend her bra goes back on. damn you rock chips! ;)

more photos to come.

#24 ·
curly said:
w00t! bubbles just got a nice new black dashmat with her name on it! (www.dashmat.com)

i'm hoping the dust will drive me less crazy on the mat. :) now i've just got to recover the hatch cover in black. :)

i'm also ordering new emblems for the hood and hatch. i was thinking blue and white, but now i'm thinking of sticking with the silver and black. they just match more.

next on the list are new valve stem covers, splash guards (they'll stay black) and door handle guards (which will stay black also.

and this weekend her bra goes back on. damn you rock chips! ;)

more photos to come.
Cool:banana:. Now let's see a pic of that dash mat:)

PM sent

#25 ·
scarabY2k said:
Cool:banana:. Now let's see a pic of that dash mat:)

PM sent
i will take a pic as soon as that dashmat is installed. should be here in less than 2 weeks. :) i'm hoping the monogram turned out well. i'm especially hoping i like the placement of it. :D

al, you know of any place to get quality powerpuff decals (for windows)? i'd sure like one of bubbles!

#26 ·
curly said:
i will take a pic as soon as that dashmat is installed. should be here in less than 2 weeks. :) i'm hoping the monogram turned out well. i'm especially hoping i like the placement of it. :D

al, you know of any place to get quality powerpuff decals (for windows)? i'd sure like one of bubbles!
Looks like you beat me to the punch on the decals....Got your PM- way cool:banana:

I checked out the link and that's some good stuff. I checked out the floor mats too. I didn't see anything about them doing your own custom logos. I wish they did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.