Diesel Car Sales Up 27% in First Half of 2012 - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > News > Latest News

Latest News Read and discuss the latest news about everyone's favorite car.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Default Diesel Car Sales Up 27% in First Half of 2012

Quote:
Clean diesels and hybrids are two options for consumers who want to ease the pain at the pump, and both are continuing to see impressive growth in the U.S. marketplace with diesel sales increasing 27.5 percent in the first half of 2012, while hybrid sales have jumped 63.5 percent.

This info, compiled by hybridcars.com and Baum and Associates, also shows a 14.9 percent increase in new car purchases across the board for the first half of 2012.

Diesel sales have increased 22 out of the last 23 months, with double-digit increases coming in 20 of those months. While this still does not touch European share of diesel sales, it shows an upward curve that does not appear to be slowing down. Upcoming fuel efficiency standards are also helping to push companies to offer more diesel options, that will help them meet the required 54.5 mpg average by 2025.

Over the next two years, 15 new clean diesel vehicles are going to be hitting the market, including some new entries from American automakers, like the Chevy Cruze diesel. Other new diesel products coming to out market include a Cadillac ATS diesel, Ford Connect diesel, VW Beetle diesel, Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, Mazda SkyActiv-D diesel and Mercedes S-Class diesel.

Pike Research group predicts that by 2018, diesels will make up 12.4 percent of all light-duty vehicle sales here in the U.S.
Read the complete story on diesel car sales at AutoGuide.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 AM
NBC Driver

Independent Republic of Horry,
Car: 2004 New Beetle Convertible GLS 1.8T 5-Speed
Default 86.5

2013 Ford Fiesta ECOnetic - Top Speed

Ford makes a diesel Fiesta in Europe that gets 86.5 mpg...I guess they figure no one in the US would want that.

Kenny's Silver '04 NB Convertible GLS 1.8 Turbo

http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25692
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Momentai!!!

Car: 2012 Beetle Turbo- Vincent, 09 GTI- Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffmole View Post
2013 Ford Fiesta ECOnetic - Top Speed

Ford makes a diesel Fiesta in Europe that gets 86.5 mpg...I guess they figure no one in the US would want that.
Exactly! Honda makes a civic diesel that gets 80 something mpg too! If our damn smog emission standards were so ridiculous we would have a few cars like that. Regardless of the fact that is a Ford or even Honda if I could get 80mpg you best believe I would have one.

I know Volkswagen has been selling a ton of diesels! Every time I see a Jetta it's just about bound to a TDI. I'm glad it's finally catching up a bit. I'm still hoping VW stays true to giving us the TDI 12B+ Cabriolet Beetle. I'm starting a penny jar fund

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

Remember that in Europe, MPGs are Imperial MPGs, which give a higher number than US MPGs. They use Imperial Gallons (since gallon isn't really a standard form of measurement ) Still going to be a high MPG, but doubt its 80+mpg in US units.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Momentai!!!

Car: 2012 Beetle Turbo- Vincent, 09 GTI- Pascal

84.07 Imperial mpg = 70 mpg (US). I could totally live with that!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-10-2012, 11:07 AM

That's good news, but in U.S. auto sales falls down. Despite slowdown, the global sales of vehicles is still strong. LMC Automotive, previously J.D. Power Automotive Forecasting, has adjusted its June forecast of 2012 U.S. light automobile sales prediction downward. However, it is still forecasting a record year for global car sales, in spite of grim economic forecasters domestically and overseas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.