Dark oil - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Car: 03 1.8 Turbo
Default Dark oil

Have been noticing that the oil is coming out darker as it used to between oil change intervals. Is it because of the High mileage(182k)? could it be it needs the oil pan cleaned out? I don't think you do a motor flush on these cars anymore like the old them times of the seventies..LOL Any thoughts or Ideas folks??????? Am I being too picky on the beetle? leave it alone if it's not broke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm not a dude.

Car: 2001 1.8T, slaughtermatic.

My mechanic did the BG compression treatment on my car a while ago, and it seems my oil is staying a cleaner for longer. My buddy did the same thing in his GLI and he saw his compression numbers increase. (I didn't check mine before, so didn't bother after)

Most people use the BG 109 then use the BG MOA, but I opted out of the MOA, I'm not a fan of oil additives. You don't need them when you use the correct oil and oil change intervals.

I should also throw in, I wouldn't recommend BG 109 or any similar if you don't know the history of the engine, are lazy with oil changes, or are having oil pressure issues. I have maintained this engine since it was brand new, so I know it's relatively clean. On cars with sludging problems, this could break up the sludge and cause big chunks of crap to clog your oil pickup.. If sludging is present, I'd remove the oil pan and clean it out (along with the oil pickup tube) before using any cleaning agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
I would go off the deep end if some dingbat hurt my baby Dive Bomber. After Wifey had me bailed out of jail for skinning the assailant alive and wearing her flesh as a hat for a couple days, I would have to drink about 4 cases of beer for the impending war with the insurance goons who charge the same for ins. on a 2002 model as they do for a B One Three.
You are a better man than I my friend.

Last edited by Oh Randi; 11-11-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Default Darker oil

hey thanks for your input miss Randi I am going to replace the slave and master cylinders during the christmas holiday so guess i'll add the oil pan/gasket in the TO-DO List. Besides it gives me an excuse not to go shopping and having to fight the crowds at the mall..LOL
fyi I change out my oil every 5k miles on the DOT, look forward to doing it, it's a pleasure to do.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm not a dude.

Car: 2001 1.8T, slaughtermatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
hey thanks for your input miss Randi I am going to replace the slave and master cylinders during the christmas holiday so guess i'll add the oil pan/gasket in the TO-DO List. Besides it gives me an excuse not to go shopping and having to fight the crowds at the mall..LOL
fyi I change out my oil every 5k miles on the DOT, look forward to doing it, it's a pleasure to do.
Ahh, someone that also enjoys doing routine maintenance on their car.

Also, I'm not sure if you know, but the oil pan doesn't have a gasket. It uses a sealant.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

What I do before Oil changes is add half a can of SEAFOAM to the crank case then run it for about 2 to 3 days. It's does a pretty good job in my opinion. Besides being an incredible solvent it is also a great upper cylinder lube.
I also use Seafoam in my gas tank ever once in a while. It keeps the injectors clean and healthy But it isn't cheap. I usually get it on sale when it is $7.99 or it's buy one get one free at O'Reileys.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Default seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
What I do before Oil changes is add half a can of SEAFOAM to the crank case then run it for about 2 to 3 days. It's does a pretty good job in my opinion. Besides being an incredible solvent it is also a great upper cylinder lube.
I also use Seafoam in my gas tank ever once in a while. It keeps the injectors clean and healthy But it isn't cheap. I usually get it on sale when it is $7.99 or it's buy one get one free at O'Reileys.
Hey thanks mr indytom, which one of those seafoam are u talking about? I googled it once and it came up with lots of different flavors for different applications. can you post us a picture or tell me which particular seafoam you mean?. @Randi I just found out a while ago about no gasket while reading other threads around here, thanks though. I might try the seafoam first to see what results I get.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:31 AM

Sea Foam | Motor Treatment | General Content - Motor Treatment

I usually don't promote any sort of additives but this stuff really works. One of my friends wife drove her car home without coolant and the car just died half a block from their house. I fixed the busted radiator hose and drained the oil which was pitch black and smelled horrible. I put in new oil and a whole can of Seafoam. After a few trys the car started but ran really rough. However, after letting the Seafoam circulate through the system for about 10-15 minutes the idle smoothed out and the engine ran pretty well for almost being seized. I told her never,ever to drive the car if the radiator hose busts. It can destroy that engine really quick.
Anyway, I was sold on Seafoam after that. Been using it every since. That was over 10 years ago when it was like $4.99 to $5.99. Now the price pretty much doubled and it runs around $10.99 but I always wait until it is on Sale and get it when they have either a two for one or a Sale for $6.99 or $7.99 at O'Reilly's They seem to have the best price on that stuff.
Also the Deep Creep Spray works like Magic. Better than any Liquid Wrench and it also lubricates a Million times better than WD40. And there is even a SeaFoam Spray with it's nozzle which is made to clean the intake and throttlebody.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Sea Foam | Motor Treatment | General Content - Motor Treatment

I usually don't promote any sort of additives but this stuff really works. One of my friends wife drove her car home without coolant and the car just died half a block from their house. I fixed the busted radiator hose and drained the oil which was pitch black and smelled horrible. I put in new oil and a whole can of Seafoam. After a few trys the car started but ran really rough. However, after letting the Seafoam circulate through the system for about 10-15 minutes the idle smoothed out and the engine ran pretty well for almost being seized. I told her never,ever to drive the car if the radiator hose busts. It can destroy that engine really quick.
Anyway, I was sold on Seafoam after that. Been using it every since. That was over 10 years ago when it was like $4.99 to $5.99. Now the price pretty much doubled and it runs around $10.99 but I always wait until it is on Sale and get it when they have either a two for one or a Sale for $6.99 or $7.99 at O'Reilly's They seem to have the best price on that stuff.
Also the Deep Creep Spray works like Magic. Better than any Liquid Wrench and it also lubricates a Million times better than WD40. And there is even a SeaFoam Spray with it's nozzle which is made to clean the intake and throttlebody.
thanks super indytom. Hey send me an email I had a question for ya. esse1061@yahoo.com when u get a chance.

Last edited by esse10; 11-12-2012 at 03:39 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 04:26 PM

E-Mail Sent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.