Water Pump - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 AM

Default Water Pump

When installing the water pump there is this little flange with a bolt hole in it that should line up with the top bolt on the water pump but it's to the right when standing on the passenger side facing the engine. Any ideas how to get it to line up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:54 AM

Default Progress?

I removed some backing plate that had the holes in it that I can't line up. Can I just leave it out? It probably provides some protection for an electrical connector that I see nearby.

I guess I bit off more than I can chew. My Haynes manual covers from 1999 to 2005 so it's too general.

Any tips out there? Just trying to get the water pump back in with all the bolt holes lined up.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM

Are you talking about the "post" that sticks out of the water pump that a 10mm bolt from the metal timing belt cover is secured to?

If so, one that upper metal cover, there tends to be a small rounded finger that fits into a small slot, I cut that small rounded finger off, makes fitting this cover back into place a lot easier. I also put the front edge of the cover in first, in other works, the edge that is closer to the radiator, kind of fit it in first, then the cover should lay flat and line up.

Just a silly question, but are the 3 holes in the water pump each 120 degrees from each other? You couldn't have the pump 120 degrees out of rotation could you? I've never tried so I can't say for sure if one could mount it wrong....

OEM Wheel Database....
http://www.4130-products.com/wheels

5052 @ $8000 = total crap
VAG COM @ $350 = sanity
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Default It's 1:30 AM

I'm not out there working on it right now but it's just this thin piece of metal, like sheet metal, that's behind the water pump and when I rotated it clockwise to get it out, the sheet metal also rotated and now the bolt hole isn't lined up so I can put it back together.

I'll try playing with it today.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Water Pump Installed!

I got the water pump in along with that backing plate that gets attached with the upper bolt on the water pump.

Now for the timing belt. I feel I have enough marks on it. I transferred them to my new belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.