Installation of Timing Belt - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM

Default Installation of Timing Belt

I'm looking at these instructions: From The Scratch - Timing / Camshaft Belt Replacement: VW New Beetle

They talk about the pistons not being at TDC when installing the timing belt. They say it's "Very Difficult."

Confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Default Haynes

I'm just going back to my Haynes manual since it is printed in black and white. Haynes wants the camshaft at TDC with the no. 1 cylinder.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Haynes Says...

On page 2A-7 of the 98-2005 VW New Beetle Haynes Repair Manual it has a figure 5.21 and show the timing belt tensioner properly seated with the tab on the tensioning roller engaged in the hole on the rear timing belt cover. I don't see this hole and I'm just going to put the tab at the top.

Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM

When you check your handy work, the engine will need to be at TDC. You use an opening on the transmission to line up a mark on the flex plate or fly wheel to set TDC.

If you have an automatic trans, here is how to set TDC:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/750427-post1.html

On that page you link to, they have a manual trans where the port you use line up for TDC is at the top of the trans, but the photo shown on that page is worthless because it doesn't show the 2 alignment marks.

Anyway, once you get the belt together, roll the crank over 4 full turns and back to TDC and make sure your cam marks line up and the timing belt tensioner is set correctly as well.

If you've never done a timing belt before and you don't have the Bentley Factory Repair Manual for your car... you're gonna have a bad time.

OEM Wheel Database....
http://www.4130-products.com/wheels

5052 @ $8000 = total crap
VAG COM @ $350 = sanity
Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

This TB/WP DIY Thread is for the 1.8T, but it might be helpful.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Beetle View Post
On page 2A-7 of the 98-2005 VW New Beetle Haynes Repair Manual it has a figure 5.21 and show the timing belt tensioner properly seated with the tab on the tensioning roller engaged in the hole on the rear timing belt cover. I don't see this hole and I'm just going to put the tab at the top.

Thoughts?
There is a hole there for the tensioner. Look and/or feel around for the hole. If you don't get the tensioner properly installed and adjusted correctly, you're asking for trouble. Worst case, the belt will go slack causing gears to jump teeth. If this happens, valves start colliding with pistons causing severe internal engine damage.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Tensioner

I having trouble using the tensioner with my snap ring pliers. Another day shot.

I'll try tightening the tensioner more to see if that helps.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM

OH, USA
Car: 2005 Cabrio GL

I bought the special tool for the tensioner from ECS Tuning. Well worth the money for the peace of mind that I had the tension set correctly. If the tension isn't right, the belt could slip or break, which will likely result in severe internal engine damage when you run the engine.

It was a bit tricky holding the tension while turning the ratchet to attach the tensioner to the engine. I'm sure it's possible to do this without the special tool, but the tool certainly helped.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Just finished a timing belt, new valve cover gasket, and a pre cat O2 sensor today. The hole for the tensioner is near 12 o'clock. The back of the tensioner will sit flush with the block when you have it right. Use the flywheel TDC mark for crankshaft alignment. The hub on the crank can move. You can view it from in front of the car if you look from right above the radiator to the right of the coil pack. Half the dot should be on the lower part of the window with the other half starting to disappear if you roll the crank bolt clockwise toward the front of the car. My crankshaft hub had moved. The flywheel mark will not slip. Just my own observations hope it helps.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Default I Found It!

I located the notch on the rear timing belt cover.

Now I'm having difficulty using the snap ring pliers I have to maneuver the tensioner to slip the belt on. But as the old saying goes, "If all else fails, read the instructions." Haynes says to put the belt "over the idler pulley, water pump and the camshaft sprocket. Ensure the belt teeth seat correctly on the sprockets, then install the belt around the timing belt tensioner."

Anyone use a snap ring pliers with any luck?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Attached are instructions for the AEG 2.0 liter engine.
Attached Images/Files
File Type: pdf AEGTimingBelt.pdf (248.3 KB, 527 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 AM

Car: 1999 beetle 2.0liter 5speed
Default Tom's Timing belt How-too

Hey Tom, That timing belt how too is awsome. Great work thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Master Technician

Car: 98 NB TDI Silver

To the op; this isn't going to end well. If you do not do this correctly you will eventually end up with a damaged engine and a large repair bill. You may be saving a few bucks now but not in the long run. First off the haynes manual is crap. Get a Bentley. Then you are not using the correct tools nor does it seem you really have a grasp of what needs to be done. The 2.0 is a relatively simple belt especially when compared to the 1.9 tdi. In your case I strongly suggest you take it to a shop that knows what they are doing to at least check over the work. I do not know your location so I cannot recommend anyone.

As far as the write up from tom goes, first off you need to clean the area after w-pump replacement, not just wipe it. Brake cleaner and air pressure work well for that, then wipe it just to be sure. Next, do NOT put nail polish on a brand new belt. Use the timing mark for TDC on the flywheel. Your cam sprocket already has a mark. I didn't notice if it was recommended to change out the bolts. If not you should. Everything needs to be properly torqued with a decent torque wrench. Otherwise it was a decent guide.

Last edited by hevster1; 12-09-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM
mike03 2.0 vert

Car: 03 GLS
Default In the middle of the water pump

Just came accross this particular THREAD. I have been watching u-tube videos and reading so many pages of my Bentleys. Also found the auto transmission hole and see a blue thing in the opening. All day yesterday struggling and
working between raindrops. I stopped last evening just ready to remove the belt. Well this paint and match really does add to the overall how to, and Tom, ITS GREAT. BIG THANKS.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Finally

I looked at the PDF and did install the timing belt. The trick is to not put the nut and washer on the tensioner before the belt is on. Nothing else pointed that out besides the PDF.

Now, I just have to tension it and reinstall everything and I am back in business.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Coincidence?

I just looked at the mail from yesterday and included was a letter for MyVWInsurance which includes "towing to your nearest VW dealer."

Asteroid 4179 Toutatis is about to pass by the Earth. Don't Beetle owners like to congregate in some desert area to commemorate an outer space event?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Default Best Weather...

Today looks like the best day I'm going to get; 93065 Weather, Current Conditions and Temperature - weather.com which says it's 53 degrees fahrenheit.

I watched the video again 2.0L volkswagen New Beetle timing belt.mp4 - YouTube

I'll just tension it and throw everything back together....yeah right.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 AM

Default Checking My Work

I was watching this video 2.0L volkswagen New Beetle timing belt.mp4 - YouTube and he checks his work by rotating the engine around and checking to see if the marks he made are still lined up. Would I rotate the crank four time to get it back to the original position? It makes sense; compression, ignition, power, exhaust.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:12 PM

Default The PDF Says...

He only rotates the engine twice by hand. Wouldn't four times be accurate to get it on the same stroke?
Old 12-20-2012, 04:22 PM
mike03 2.0 vert

Car: 03 GLS
Default turns

Turning the crank twice is once on the valves. Turning four times will not give a different answer, just the same answer again. I did like his video, was your take on his work ok? Between the video and "Indytoms how to" with markers, I settled down enough to feel comfortable doing the water pump and belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.