1.8T Engine APH/APW Swap Issues - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Kula191

Car: 1999/00 Beetle 1.8T
Default 1.8T Engine APH/APW Swap Issues

Hello all,

I acquired a 1999 Beetle w/APH that was blown, timing belt ripped..bent the valves ..etc. I acquired a 2000 Beetle w/APW and stripped it to a shell. I have successfully installed the Engine and Train but have encountered numerous issues.

Currently i cannot get fuel to the engine. Fuel pump not actuating as if there is no power there although the 15amp fuse constantly blows. Engine cranks w/o issue.

I do need to mention a couple things that occurred prior before the engine swap when the APH was still installed and occurred prior to ripping anything out..

With a battery charger (that will start a car) was able to power up everything.. lights/radio/blower etc testing the electrical prior to the swap..an attempt was made to turn over the engine not knowing if all the valves were shot.. what happened.. a pop.. and a couple fuses blew. Proceeded w/the Engine swap.. once we got it in had some electrical issues.. Interior cabin lights flickering on/off after a couple min.. the fuel pump not actuating.. checked the grounds per bentley book.. found a potential bad ground under the driver side headlamp.. fixed & added a grounding strap between the neg term and the ground on the chassis.. light issue went away.. still have no radio or fuel pump. Swapped 409 relay as well.. fuses arent blowing anymore.. Fuel gauge on pump works... if i move it shows empty or full.. Quite possible that the fuel pump is shot although when connecting power directly to it humms/whirls but not when connected to the harness .. but i'm stuck.. thinking blew a main relay?> ECU problem? Inline fuse? I appreciate any input! Thanks.. (did run odbII on it.. ECU checks ok) HELP please!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:01 AM

Car: 2002 Turbo S - 2003 Turbo NBC - 2010 TDI Cup - 2007 Audi A4

Are you sure about the year and engine models you have? of corse stranger things have happened but a 2000 should have been an APH also, a 2001 could have an APH, AWV, AWP depending on the model of the beetle.

What ECU and wiring harness are you using?
The APH and AWP motors use different ECU's and wiring harness and are not 100% pin for pin compatible.

I think you will need to make the appropriate wiring changes depending on what ECU and Harness you are trying to use.

Look at this post on the VW Vortex

VWVortex.com - APH, AWW, AWP, AWV wiring harness comparison

K
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Kula191

Car: 1999/00 Beetle 1.8T

Thx!! Link def w/def be helpful!!!

So far I went with the ECU from the 99 AHP, the 2000 AWP is in a box. We adapted a couple connections already because certain harnesses changed from 99 to 2000. I have 2 i believe.. connections in the wiring that seem not to have a corresponding harnesses on the newer motor/Trans or close by sensors on various parts.

That being said... is it possible to consider a full pump cut-off switch in this car? If so.. and it needs reset? Where is it located?> Could be a possible resolution?>
LMK your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.