Once again......Beetle left me stranded - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 03:19 AM

Default Once again......Beetle left me stranded

Bought my daughter a 1998 Beetle 2.0 Automatic. I took her driving this weekend to get her ready for her road test. We stopped for lunch over a hour from home. When we got into the Beetle to leave I turned the car over. it made one single click and then nothing. all the lights dimmed while it was turning over but nothing happened. I immediately thought "Dead battery" after all the battery is 5 years old. So the closest parts store was a 45 minute walk one way. After buying the correct battery and tools. we walked 45 minutes back to the car replaced the battery only to come up with the same outcome. one click and then nothing.I tapped the starter with no luck. Its not verified yet but the man we bought the car from said when we bought it the starter was replaced a month before he decided to sell it. I am going to remove and test the starter this week, If it turns out to be good, does anyone have any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:23 AM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Off the top of my head, check the ignition switch.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.How do I test the switch?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 AM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

You need to pull the switch out; in some instances the wire harness to the switch connector overheats causing wire casings to split and the bare wires to fray and touch. This step in the Blend Door DIY shows you how to remove steering column covers.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 AM

I will check out both components after work this week and post my findings. Thanks, -I
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 AM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifitzwater View Post
I will check out both components after work this week and post my findings. Thanks, -I
You are welcome. I look forward to reading your results.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:35 PM

Pulled the column apart and found no bad wires or any burnt wires. Next step was the starter. removed the battery and tray. Found the wire with pigtail not connected to the solenoid.Also found the wire to be frayed and showing. Repaired the wire and reconnected the pigtail to the solenoid. All I got was a click when I turned the key. So next step was to have the starter tested. Pulled the starter and headed to Autozone. They hooked the starter up it went 3...2.....1..test, Instant fail.The starter motor would not even turn. So now I ordered a new replacement starter online and should be good to go once it arrives.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 PM

UPDATE: Replaced the starter. Found the Power wire going to the solenoid exposed and shorting. Also the plug to the starter broken. Replaced/Fixed both these issues along with a new starter and Battery. Car has great power starts fine and actually runs smoother.

NEW ISSUE. I bought a new N80 valve I will be installing tonight. Because of the fueling and starting issues. I scanned the car today at lunch and found the Following codes.

PO319
PO422
PO440
PO442

My new problem is if I shut the car off after a trip. and try to start it within 40 minutes of shutting it off it just cranks and does not fire. If I let it sit awhile and come back it starts right up. This is not a good fix when my boss is expection me to uphold a 1 hour lunch!!!!!

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.