I need help to pick the best VW beetle sold on craigslist - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Marketplace > New Beetle Classifieds

New Beetle Classifieds List your car for sale, or list a want ad for the Beetle you desire.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 AM

Default I need help to pick the best VW beetle sold on craigslist

I've been searching craiglist for a pre-loved vw beetle that cost less than $3000. There's a lot of options but then I don't know which one are good. I never had my own car before so I don't have any idea about car mechanics. I like cars that are tiny and that has retro style so beetle is on the top of my list next mini cooper. I just moved to US so I don't have a budget for a new car yet. Moving around to apply for job is hard without a car. Please help me find the best beetle that will not put my money to waste.

I'm looking at getting an automatic but as far as I've read, manual saves more gas, is this true? I would prefer those that are good as new since I have a very little knowledge about car maintenance. And also, I prefer those that look decent (outside and also inside) since I'm applying for a professional job.

Hope you could help me. Thank you very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 AM

By the way, I'm located in Florida.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM

Smile expensive car

Hey man beetle is a very expensive car i would not advice you to buy it from craiglist rather than smthing that you drive and listen how it goes.its important the beauty of the outside rather than the engine.and yes cars that are manual save a lot of gas
Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Car: 2002 New Beetle 1.8T GLX

I bought mine from CL. Never ever did I ever think I would buy a car from there. I put the word out, like you are doing, and it was located for me from an Org member friend, he had checked it out, and I went and got it. Two+ years now. I love her!
2005 NBC 1.8T- Tornado Red
2006 Passat 2.0T- Blue Graphite
2003 NB Turbo S - UniRed
2005 V6 Touareg V6 - Campanella White
Currently:
2002 NB GLX 1.8T - White Paint
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Peace Love & T.o.D.

Car: 1st 2000 GLX now 03.5 TS

Stay away from the auto trans. If you can not drive a manual, then learn. The cost of a bad automatic trans can out-way the purchase price of the car. Just a little sumptin to think about.

T.o.D. information http://newbeetle.org/forums/tail-dra...-d-thread.html
Old 11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyn View Post
By the way, I'm located in Florida.
Hi and welcome to the org family. So glad to have you a part of us

It would be a big help if you fill out your profile. I see you're in FL (hi neighbor-Jacksonville here) BUT for as something as crucial as a car purchase, any & all info you supply us will aid you much better in finding the right car as well assistance later down the line. There might be one of us near you that can go with you and be your beetle liason, making sure you're buying a sound beetle.

We're here for ya... all the best on your BeetleQuesr.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

Last edited by scarabY2k; 11-21-2012 at 01:36 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 01:37 PM
5/23/10 <3

Car: 1999 Techno Blue GL 2.0 5-speed (RIP), 1984 Jetta GL TD, 2003 20th GTI

If you don't have a big budget, I might reconsider getting a NB right now. A sub-$3k NB is likely to need some extra work once you get it and it will likely be a 1998-2000 range car so its a good 12 years old so no matter what, there will be things it needs.

And you are correct, the auto transmissions are junk. Get a manual if you can. If you need an auto, definitely skip the Beetle for the time being.
The money saver:2001 Jetta TDI GL. 132k. Dead auto, swapped to 3 pedals. Hubby's DD and our trip car
Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

I don't have a problem driving a manual coz I've been driving manual ever since so I'm used to it than driving automatic.

What's a sound beetle? and NB?

I'm in Gainesville FL as of the moment but will be moving to Deerfield FL for work.

Which part of Florida should I look for? Is there anyone here who live close? If not craiglist, to which website should I go?

Thank you very much for your help.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:05 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004NBTURBOS View Post
Stay away from the auto trans. If you can not drive a manual, then learn. The cost of a bad automatic trans can out-way the purchase price of the car. Just a little sumptin to think about.
Truer words were never spoken. The early New Beetle's have the worst Automatic transmission ever in them and a replacement can cost you up to $7000 dollars. And if it hasn't failed it will fail. The newer 6 Speed Tiptronics are better but not perfect. I would never buy a VW with Automatic transmission. Prone to failure and expensive to fix.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:

I don't have a problem driving a manual coz I've been driving manual ever since so I'm used to it than driving automatic.

I'm in Gainesville FL as of the moment but will be moving to Deerfield FL for work.

Which part of Florida should I look for? Is there anyone here who live close? If not craiglist, to which website should I go?

I don't know Florida that well so I can't tell you where to locate a decent used New Beetle. It doesn't really matter. There are no guarantees that one Beetle from one area is better than another. You will just have to look them over very carefully. Drive them and listen. How does it feel?
Any anomalies? Ask questions like when was the last timing belt service and water pump replacement done on the car. A lot of people get rid of the car because these costly maintenance items become due and then you get stuck with the bill. And if you don't keep up with that important timing belt service and the timing belt goes you will have a couple of thousand dollar + repairs to deal with.
New Beetle's are HIGH Maintenance and if you don't like to tinker with cars don't buy a Beetle. There will be things that will need replacing and when they are due don't ignore them and put them off because if you do it can get very costly to the point it isn't worth repairing any more.
Good Luck with your search.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
I don't know Florida that well so I can't tell you where to locate a decent used New Beetle. It doesn't really matter. There are no guarantees that one Beetle from one area is better than another. You will just have to look them over very carefully. Drive them and listen. How does it feel?
Any anomalies? Ask questions like when was the last timing belt service and water pump replacement done on the car. A lot of people get rid of the car because these costly maintenance items become due and then you get stuck with the bill. And if you don't keep up with that important timing belt service and the timing belt goes you will have a couple of thousand dollar + repairs to deal with.
New Beetle's are HIGH Maintenance and if you don't like to tinker with cars don't buy a Beetle. There will be things that will need replacing and when they are due don't ignore them and put them off because if you do it can get very costly to the point it isn't worth repairing any more.
Good Luck with your search.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. What do you think is the best car for me to get?

Last edited by tyn; 11-20-2012 at 11:29 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 01:52 AM
TOD7- 5,1-3 Let It Ride!

Car: Cup- y2k Blk nB GLS 1.8t

Quote:

GO GATORS!

Not sure on which part of FL to purchase your nB, BUT we have a top-notch, beetle savvy orger who lives in Orlando, named David, screen name VDubYah. Plus Chuckie and I are just up the road from you and might be able to make a roadie down that way to assist. There's quite a few nB's here for sale here in Jacksonville.
Speaking of, The VW shop that works on Cup, took possession of a red TDI nB, manual transmission. They're rebuilding the top end, including new injectors... to the 9's. Basically a new engine. I can look into it if you'd like. They're a reputable shop; the owner/chief mechanic used to work for Ash Tisdale VW of Orange Park, which was one of the best VW dealerships in our area.

I do believe orger Antonyn still lives in Gainesville too. So you're pretty much surrounded with folk that'll help you

To echo previous comments, don't buy an older beetle only because it's cheap, especially if you don't have the cash to bring it back to mechanical health. And ExNay on the auto tranny... no good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.