Difference between hatch and converitble front window regulator? - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > 1998-2011 New Beetle > Modifications > Technical Modifications

Technical Modifications The place to discuss technical and performance related modifications for the New Beetle.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
New Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Car: 2004 GLS 1.8T Convertible
Default Difference between hatch and converitble front window regulator?

My front driver window regulator just recently exploded and I have been shopping around for a replacement. I've found several kits and there seems to be a significant price difference between hatch and convertible.

What makes them different besides the panel?

I found a seller that sells a repair kit for a hatch for $29 shipped (no panel). A kit for a convertible cost $74 shipped (no panel). As far as I can tell, they look identical. Can anyone confirm the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Car: 1998 Yellow New Beetle TDI

framed vs. frameless window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fairfax, VA, USA
Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

Vert window regulators are designed to drop the window about 1/4" to clear the top either when the keyfob unlocks the door and/or when the door is unlocked depending on the year.

Early verts 2003-2004? did not drop the window via the keyfob. My 2003 had both regulators replaced with the newer ones and the car reflashed so the windows drop via the keyfob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM
New Member
Join Date: Jul 2012

The drop of the window on convertibles vs. hardtops is programmed into the comfort control module bases on key fob usage or actuation of the door handle. The difference of the window regulators can't "visually" be seen. The cable used in a convertible is thicker in diameter and is a different length then the other. Unfortunately there is no "cheap" option here you are going to have to purchase the convertible version...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Wiffmajig's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Portsmouth, VA, USA
Car: 2008 Beetle Convertible SE

SO where did you buy your regulator...I came to the forum to get an answer to the exact question...I can get the OE unit for $200 with the panel....
$74 sounds a great deal better.
Current Vehicles
2008 VW Beetle Convertible
2009 Ford Expedition
2000 Honda CRV
2006 Triumph Rocket
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Include me on the map?
Select this if you would like to show your location on the world map of NewBeetle.org members. City, state/province, country, and zip (for USA members) must also be filled in.


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Window Regulator BB2000 1.8 Liter Turbo 1 01-11-2012 11:48 PM
S: Window Regulator Clips (repair window regulators) AnTTo Market Place Archives 1 08-23-2010 07:16 AM
Window Regulator - Drivers front n3nyongmini New Beetle Convertible 5 09-11-2009 12:28 AM
Where to buy a window regulator used or new? denisse 2.0 Liter Gas 2 06-17-2009 01:42 PM
HELP!! Window Regulator broke and I can't get the window up. boblamb58 Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle 21 10-15-2008 03:37 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2