Safe Mode?! - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Default Safe Mode?!

Does anyone have a way to give me the code to unlock my OEM VW replacement radio if i provide model #? I ordered OEM radio off of EBay to replace exsisting. Looks like the unlock number they gave me is wrong. I also don't have original manual to refer to. VW dealership is closed until Monday. Help!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Member Sponsor

Car: 2003 Turbo S

No, you need the dealer computer to look up the code.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 AM

NY, USA
Car: 2001 VW New Beetle Sport

My surrounding dealers wants 90 bucks to look up the code even if I have the radio pulled myself. I told them wear to stick it and drove to bestbuy for a replacement deck. I mean a tape player vs a new cd w/ Sirius
Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesseandjodie View Post
Does anyone have a way to give me the code to unlock my OEM VW replacement radio if i provide model #? I ordered OEM radio off of EBay to replace exsisting. Looks like the unlock number they gave me is wrong. I also don't have original manual to refer to. VW dealership is closed until Monday. Help!

Contact the Seller of the Radio from E-Bay and asked them. Perhaps they sold more than one Radio and mixed up the codes.
The only other way would be your local VW Dealer which can get the code but as someone already mentioned they won't do it for free or cheap. Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Contact the Seller of the Radio from E-Bay and asked them. Perhaps they sold more than one Radio and mixed up the codes.
The only other way would be your local VW Dealer which can get the code but as someone already mentioned they won't do it for free or cheap. Good Luck!
PM me the radio serial # and I can get it for you for free if your dealer won't do it. Has to be the number on the sticker when radio is removed, looks like a VIN. May take me a day or two.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Car: NB 2000 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bme View Post
PM me the radio serial # and I can get it for you for free if your dealer won't do it. Has to be the number on the sticker when radio is removed, looks like a VIN. May take me a day or two.

Im not trying to step on anyones toes or hyjack the OP thread, but I have the same issue.Is the number the one stamped in the side of the radio case? or one of the numbers on the part number tag. The only other info I found on the radio was the inspection tag.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Im not trying to step on anyones toes or hyjack the OP thread, but I have the same issue.Is the number the one stamped in the side of the radio case? or one of the numbers on the part number tag. The only other info I found on the radio was the inspection tag.
The number looks like a VIN number, they used to start with ZVW. Call dealers over the phone till you find one that will give you the code. Also some parts guys have the system as well at the dealer.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 AM

Default same problem here

Hello,

I have the same problem. I just purchased the car, no manual or sticker around the spare tire. My radio serial is:

VWZ 9Z7 Y52 115 44

Anyone can help?

Thanks,

Francisco
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 AM

Car: 2001 GLS 1.8T-Cyber Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Isn't that ridiculous and sad since it is even printed right in the owner's manual somewhere that "your local dealer can give you this number free of charge."

Guess that's why I see so many here calling them "stealerships." Greed is not pretty...

Here is a pic of the radio card I found elsewhere, will have to pull mine out tomorrow to see if it says the same...
Attached Images/Files

Last edited by IggysMom; 12-31-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 AM

Default But I don't even have the owners manual

That's why I am so lost. I purchased the car and I don't have the owners manual.
Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpp View Post
That's why I am so lost. I purchased the car and I don't have the owners manual.
Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks
We ended up eventually getting ours by calling multiple VW dealerships around the state and explaining to them that we were missing our manual and didn't have access to the code but were interested in using them as our VW service provider. No one asked for compensation for looking it up (luckily). We just eventually found a shop manager who had a good heart and looked it up for us. One of the facilities gave us 3 sets of 4-digit codes "that one of these will be it". (Not sure how they determined those but ok). So I would try calling VW dealerships first.

If all else fails, we found websites online that would give you your code for around $30-40 (that was our plan B).

Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Just another example of theives making life harder for the rest of us.

Keys cost a small fortune because of all the anti-theft nonsense involved in them nowadays. (yet my insurance rates don't get any better as my cars get less stealable and my keys get more expensive to replace, what's up with that?). I am getting ready to pay $300 to replace Iggy's flip key because my purse dissappeared 2 days before Christmas with my keys in it. Most of that is the price of the special security cut and the chip programing. The actual hardware only amounts to not quite a third of the total price .

Radios become useless bricks for their actual owners if they can't locate the code, unless you can talk a dealer into giving you the code for free like the manual says they will or pay a third party for a code. (My used new beetle came with the manual, all it's paperwork, and all the radio information, but the decal with the radio code was never placed on the radio card so even the original owner would not have had it. When I called the dealership they told me that a lot of times that decal gets left on the back of the radio by accident when it's placed in the car; but if you want the code it will cost you money. "Bring in your car and we will pull the radio to see if we find the decal on it...Why no, that is not free.") Thank goodness I was just looking to have the code in the event that I ever need to disconnect my battery. My radio is still functioning for now. I did manage to find a 4 digit code under the spare tire where I had been told to look by somebody else with a bug. Here's hoping it actually is my radio code if I ever do have to disconnect power for any reason or I too will be stuck with an original, fully functional, OEM, brick...er...ummmm...I mean radio.

The harder we work to keep what we have from being taken by criminals, the harder it makes it on us. I bet the criminals probably have an easier time getting the radio code than actual owners do. They probably have their own readers that they managed to get ahold of unscrupulously just like they got the radios so they don't have the monumental problems that we do trying to make our own radios work.

Sorry to rant, but this is just starting to take over everything we own and make honest people's lives a lot harder than criminals. Off rant now. Hope you guys find dealerships that will give out the code without charge like they are supposed to.

I will attach the picture of the radio card that says the code will be provided free of charge by any VW dealership here again since I added it later on my other post so I think it got missed...

Last edited by IggysMom; 04-01-2014 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 AM

Default dealer helped me

Finally I went to the dealer near home, and they gave me the code. Thanks to all for your help. It is good to have a nice community
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 AM

Glad you got your code. Perserverance pays off

I got my flip key replaced on Monday...$319.42 later...ouch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.