2000 V'dub questions - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Skeeter

B.C., Canada
Car: 2000 VW Beetle & 76 Westie
Default 2000 V'dub questions

Hi...
I have a 2000 Beetle, have owned it since 2002. It has 225,000 km. Mostly highway miles. I have maintained this car very well, regular oil changes (synthetic oil), timing belt at 100,000 & 200,000, cv joint replaced, among other small things like brake lines etc.
There is clunking sound at the front when I hit bumps (mechanic said it was the front struts) and will need the brake routers resurfaced soon.
So my question is: is there anything else that I should do so I can drive the car from BC to Quebec next summer? I try to be ahead of problems (and breakdowns), before they surface. AND my brother is the mechanic - need to have all the service done before I head east!!
And can I tow a small trailer (flat) - what is the max weight?
Thanks for any advice...
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

The front clunking sound are the Front Sway bar bushings.
Very common especially if they have never been replaced.
I had the same problem and after swapping out the bushings there were no more clunks. Took me about 30 minutes per side and they cost about 10 dollars a piece. Very easy fix.

Here is a link to a DIY. Too bad the OP is no longer active and the pictures were removed. But it really is a very easy job to do and the first thing I have ever done to my Beetle.

DIY: Sway Bar Bushing Replacement

Here is a complete kit that comes with new brackets and new bolts which is nice to have. Also you either have 21mm or 23mm front sway bar. Mine is a 2000 and had a 23mm Front Sway bar.

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Sway Bar Bushings > ES#259396 Front Sway Bar Installation Kit - 1J0698336D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.