Cold weather issues VW Bug - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 2.0 Liter Gas

2.0 Liter Gas Discussion area for the venerable 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM

Default Cold weather issues VW Bug

Greetings.

I own a used 2002 VW New Beetle. Has 126000 miles on it.

Recent work done on it is:
New Catalytic converter
Oil Change: 5/30 SAE Synthetic oil

The car was running great, with the exception of the engine light being on, which came back on shortly after the cad replacement.

3 days ago I was driving it with no problems what so ever. The tank was below a quarter, so I filled it to a half tank. Came home and parked it. 3 days later, the temp dropped down to high 20's with snow to boot. Went out to start the car, and it cranked over, but would not fire.

Lights on the indicator are:
Engine light
EPC Light
Battery

also some stuff that was happening when I bought it.
(Fuel warning light stays on all the time, also air bag deployment light is on all the time too. Never been wrecked though.

These lights stay on after I have turned the key BEFORE trying to start the car.

It has plenty of juice. Even tried using jumper cables to see if it was alittle to drained to start. No avail.
Cleaned the battery terminals.

What gets me is the car was running beautiful, no bumps shakes or shimmys in the engine. Although, before we had the cad replaced in the car, it was running very rough, hard to start. had little power. After replacing the cad, it ran fine lots of power and the engine light was off. Then it happened again. The engine was running rough, the engine light was back on, but I gave it alittle gas and it cleared the issue.

My thoughts on this are:
plugged fuel filter.
Frozen fuel lines
Coils are bad
air in lines

I wanted to post here and see if any1 else has experienced this issue, and maybe could give me some tips on what to try to get this issue resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
NB Yellow Trifecta

Car: Yellow '98 GLS / Lemon Yellow '99 GLS / Reflex Yellow & Sliver '00 GLX Turbo's

Off the top of my head Crank Sensor.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenb768 View Post
Greetings.

I own a used 2002 VW New Beetle. Has 126000 miles on it.

Recent work done on it is:
New Catalytic converter
Oil Change: 5/30 SAE Synthetic oil

The car was running great, with the exception of the engine light being on, which came back on shortly after the cad replacement.

3 days ago I was driving it with no problems what so ever. The tank was below a quarter, so I filled it to a half tank. Came home and parked it. 3 days later, the temp dropped down to high 20's with snow to boot. Went out to start the car, and it cranked over, but would not fire.

Lights on the indicator are:
Engine light
EPC Light
Battery

also some stuff that was happening when I bought it.
(Fuel warning light stays on all the time, also air bag deployment light is on all the time too. Never been wrecked though.

These lights stay on after I have turned the key BEFORE trying to start the car.

It has plenty of juice. Even tried using jumper cables to see if it was alittle to drained to start. No avail.
Cleaned the battery terminals.

What gets me is the car was running beautiful, no bumps shakes or shimmys in the engine. Although, before we had the cad replaced in the car, it was running very rough, hard to start. had little power. After replacing the cad, it ran fine lots of power and the engine light was off. Then it happened again. The engine was running rough, the engine light was back on, but I gave it alittle gas and it cleared the issue.

My thoughts on this are:
plugged fuel filter.
Frozen fuel lines
Coils are bad
air in lines

I wanted to post here and see if any1 else has experienced this issue, and maybe could give me some tips on what to try to get this issue resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance
Go to Autozone or another Auto parts place and have it scanned for codes.

Report back what those codes are and we can better help you with your problem. Otherwise you can guess yourself to death with these cars.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
BUG THIS

Car: 2001 1.8T GLX

That sucks the airbad light is probably your seatbelt switch mine is on and it is just disabled and is not a big issue unless you want them on.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 PM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

You need to get your codes read and also buy a $3 can of starting fluid. 2 second spray of starting fluid, if the engine fires and dies, then you have a fuel supply issue.

The airbag light is not likely an indicator that they have been deployed, you likely either have a bad seat belt sensor as mentioned and/or a bad front dual stage sensor (some models were recalled for these).

The low fuel light on could be a bad fuel level sender?? Not sure if you fuel gauge is working properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.