Starting Problems - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > 1.8 Liter Turbo

1.8 Liter Turbo Discussion area for the 1.8 liter turbocharged engine.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Car: 2000 VW Beetle
Default Starting Problems

I have a 2000 1.8t. Starts fine when its cold (hasn't been driven , like mornings). But if i drive it and it gets to normal driving temp and turn it off its hard to start up or will not start at all (cranks over and over).

I recently changed the fuel filter thinking it was the culprit but no change. I do have a cel light on and has been on a while and had it scanned with oxygen sensors problems showing. Could this be causing it not to start correctly. Would love to have it scanned with a vag if..if..if anyone in the area has one and willing to help out... Thanks for all help.. trying to make it until after Christmas to fix the oxygen sensor (because they are expensive)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Car: PEDRO 99 BEETLE GLS

Yes that will do it . Your car only reads the oxygen sensors after it is warmed up and gone into a closed loop mode. That is what the technical term is. During warmup while in open loop the preset parameters just pump a little extra fuel in so your engine doesn't die out or stall, kind of like an old fashioned choke. Yes, I said old. Like since the beginning of time up until the early eighties.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-10-2012, 12:44 AM

Car: 2012 Tornado Red VW Beetle Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bug Man View Post
I have a 2000 1.8t. Starts fine when its cold (hasn't been driven , like mornings). But if i drive it and it gets to normal driving temp and turn it off its hard to start up or will not start at all (cranks over and over).

I recently changed the fuel filter thinking it was the culprit but no change. I do have a cel light on and has been on a while and had it scanned with oxygen sensors problems showing. Could this be causing it not to start correctly. Would love to have it scanned with a vag if..if..if anyone in the area has one and willing to help out... Thanks for all help.. trying to make it until after Christmas to fix the oxygen sensor (because they are expensive)..
Have the car scanned for codes and let us know what they are. Could also be your Crankshaft Positioning Sensor or your ignition switch.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 AM

Even when the car starts fine and runs fine when cold..I am reading a few posts about it being the temp sensor.. Any ideas?? It truly only does this when the engine is warm
Old 12-10-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Even when the car starts fine and runs fine when cold..I am reading a few posts about it being the temp sensor.. Any ideas?? It truly only does this when the engine is warm
Could be. Get the car scanned for codes and quit guessing
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM

After installing new fuel filter & Temp sensor its starting great.. Thanks for the help..
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTom View Post
Could be. Get the car scanned for codes and quit guessing

I did have it scanned.. Thats why i said.. I HAD OXYGEN SENSOR PROBLEMS.. I just would love to have it scanned with a Vag-Com..
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I did have it scanned.. Thats why i said.. I HAD OXYGEN SENSOR PROBLEMS.. I just would love to have it scanned with a Vag-Com..
Vag -com are nice but not absolutely necessary. A generic OBD II code reader does the trick if a Vag com isn't available.

I just never saw where you posted the codes. Sorry.
Glad you have it all fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crank , start , starting problem , starting problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.