water leakage questions - NewBeetle.org Forums
NewBeetle.org Forums
Go Back   NewBeetle.org Home > NewBeetle.org Forums > Discussion - Technical > Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle

Questions, Issues, Concerns, or Problems with the New Beetle General discussion of New Beetle features, problems, and issues.

NewBeetle.org is the premier Volkswagen Beetle Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 AM

Car: 2001 1.9 tdi
Default water leakage questions

hi guys first post here, got alot of helpful info from this forum already and i would like to sincerely thank everyone for there input.

i was given a 2001 tdi, fixed alot of things on it already, however i have a water leak problem (passenger side carpet always wet) that i would like to ask a few questions about.

today i removed the cabin filter and found that a mouse had lived on top of it:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121209-00027.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121209-00033.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  72.7 KB

im thinking that filter needs replacing lol.

anyway, i took the filter housing off to see if i could find water leak problems and i found a puddle of water:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121209-00029.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  103.7 KB

i removed the debris, it was raining uot while i was doing this work and i noticed the water kept coming back in from drain holes which are not visible in the following pic, but i tried to show where the drain holes were roughly located and the path the water took to get to the puddle.
water was leaving through the slot on the right side as i imagin e it is supposed to.
is all this water normal? it was entering at an alarming rate.
this car was in an accident, im wondering if a bad job was done in repairing it.

i then removed the a-pillar cover and found that water was also coming in from the top of the windshield (this vehicle has no sunroof) and down the a pillar. i was wondering if i should have the windshield reinstalled, or just try and silicone the leak myself as it is only a trickle.

sry about the long post, thank you for any advice in advance.
Attached Images/Files

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM

Car: '03 Vert GLX 1.8t 6 speed Tip

It looks like you may have a few issues.

1. Water does come in from the windshield cowl area and there is at least 1 hole around where your put marks on the picture. I think there is a hole on the left mark, the right mark may be due to a windshield leak?? You may need a mirror to check to see where the holes are, I do not recall 100%.

2. You really should pull the drivers side dash and cover, there will be no cabin air filter there, however, there will be a side drain and a bunch of debris as well.

3. From under the hood, there is a square rubber plug you can remove next to the wiring feed through that will allow you to clean out more debris.

4. You should not have water leaking near the edge of the windshield, sounds like you do have some sort of leak?

5. Make sure your side drains actually are working. I have not had to chance to verify how these really work, however, i assume you could have buildup behind the wheel liner and might have water back up in the side drain??

6. To really clean everything up well, you may need to take the wipers off (likely you will need a cheap wiper arm puller from the auto parts store) and then remove the plastic cowling under the windshield, it snaps off once you get the wiper arms off. Then you can clean under this are as well as under the dash, you would be surprise how much trash and debris can end up in this area!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:22 PM

tx for the response jfoj,

1. are u saying that i have an issue with the water coming from the cowl area? or that this is normal

2. i will pull the driver side and clean today and take pics.

3. i will look for the square plug and clean behind that as well.

4. the water from the windshield is coming from the top of the seal of the windshield ( i followed the dripline from here down the apillar and probably to my carpets), this for sure is a problem, my question for this is should i have the windshield removed and reinstalled.

5. i did take the wipers and plastic cowling off, before my brother gave me the car he sent me the repair history and the wiper motor was replaced so they probably cleaned it out then...

i will take more detailed pics today to better explain myself.

tx again
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 PM

Not a problem with the cowling, it is designed to drain into the area you were seeing the water. Water supposed to enter under the access panels for the cabin air filter, however, if the 2 larger side drains get clogged, then the water will start to enter the interior.

If the wiper motor was replaced, no guarantee anyone cleaned anything, most shops do as they need to!

Suggest trying to vacuum, compressed air or leaf blower. Maybe a combination of all of them.

You car drive with the dash covers out and the access panels removed, you will get a lot of engine noise and heat/cool, but his will help you see where the drains are.

Also make sure on the drivers side the hood latch cable boot is still in good shape. My 2003 has a dummy hood latch cable boot on the passenger side, I did not see this in your picture or a hole, this is likely for the right hand drive version of these cars.

You will see the ABS module and the ECM on the drivers side. Do not try to remove either as the plastic clips will break!! Ask me how I know!

Also there may be a 1" foam piece under the center vent duct, mine fell off as the glue let go, you will likely see this as well assuming it did not get chewed up!

Windshield leak, I would probably try something like silicon sealer, it is best to have the windshield properly removed, but most shops will not guarantee they can remove your original glass for resealing, so be ready for a new windshield.

Maybe you could use a new windshield anyway due to pitting?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 AM

so i took some more pics, everything seems to be working as u described as far as the water drainage at the windshield cowl.
what i meant to say in a previous post was that i did take the wipers and plastic cowl cover off and found no debris build up. I therefore assumed they cleaned it when they changed the wiper motor.

i suspect that the water dripping in from the top of the windshield is the source of the wet carpet on the passenger side.

i will research a solution on fixing the leaking windshield.

in the meantime here are the pics i took today.

again thank you for your kind help.

view from outside in driver side(attempting to show cleanliness):

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00037.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  67.7 KB

driver side drain hole:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00036.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  44.5 KB

view from outside passenger side looking in:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00038.jpg
Size:  49.9 KB

other drain hole passenger side closer to center:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00039.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  63.1 KB

passenger side water exit drain hole:
(looks like someone chipped a bit off to allow better drainage)

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00040.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  87.5 KB

water dripping down the a pillar:

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121210-00041.jpg
Size:  66.7 KB
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM

There are a few small holes beneath the cowl that can easily clog up.

You may need to pull the cowl again and really make sure everything is clean and that someone did not try to drill extra holes or something foolish??

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:32 PM

so i attempted to pull the cowl again today, yesterday when i reinstalled it i used a rubber mallet to push the tongue on the cowl into the groove below the windshield.

anyway, today its cold up here in toronto, so it was cracking as i was trying to remove it. i therefore stopped.

i will attempt to remove it on a warmer day if we have one, and then inspect for the drainage holes u speak of ( i am assuming they are not the same drainage holes as in previous pictures)

thanks again
Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 AM

CA,
Car: 2007 New Beetle (wife's car)
Default Check if the windshield has been replaced

I just went through same process, turned out being a lousy windshield replacement.
Leaked rain water from the top/side onto the passenger floor, even did it when car was washed.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM

i easily found the leak when my wife poured water on the hood of the car, weird how this one spot leaked so much.
put a scredriver in to allow the silicone to flow through the gap better.
used permatex flowable silicone, 6 bucks at canadian tire.
so far so good, pulled up the mats on the passenger side and propped them up while a heater with a fan blew on them all night last night with the windows cracked.
my foggy windows are no more.

Name:  Hamilton 2-20121214-00068.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  81.1 KB
Name:  Hamilton 2-20121214-00069.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  106.7 KB
Name:  Hamilton 2-20121214-00070.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  56.0 KB

thanks guys for ll the help.

if anyone wantws a pic of the silicone i used lemme know, i will try to remember to post an update onthe condition of the leak after our harsh canadian winter.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the NewBeetle.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.